Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Newbie to group and homeschooling

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello, I've decided to start homeschooling my oldest for multiple reasons  and this is going to be  a sudden switch. In short we moved and the school shes in here is HORRIBLE. I haven't had to even consider homeschooling before because we were lucky enough to be in a great system and my kids thrived.  So......In short HELP ! I have no clue where to start ... My daughter is in 6th grade and was in all advanced classes and her grades have always been great and still are. Curriculium suggestions, co-ops anybody might know of in my area (Lincoln NE), Feild trip and project ideas ... anything ... I need it. 

Thanks Anna

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Hi and welcome! :)
First check and know your state laws so you are compliant. Next search yahoo groups for local groups and coops near you.
Curriculum depends on your students learning needs. There are a ton of choices out there! Even experienced hsers can get overwhelmed.
Sorry I cant give you links, Im mobile.
PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Know you state laws

Decide between religious and non religious curriculum. 

Decide your budget

Then decide your child's learning style and what would work best.

If you do those things, you will cut your choices down.

But you don't need boxed curriculum. There are plenty of cheaper or free options out there. 

PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM
3 moms liked this

These should be your laws in Nebraska (the basics)

Nebraska

• Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 6 and 18 (calculated as of January 1 of the school year, so a child who turns six on December 31 is of compulsory attendance age for the full school year.) Parents may exempt a child under seven for one year by filing a notarized statement with the local school district. Parents may graduate a child whenever he or she completes the homeschool's program of instruction, or may exempt a child from attendance after his or her sixteenth birthday by signing a notarized release form provided by the local public school.

• Required Days of Instruction: 1,032 hours (elementary), 1,080 hours (high school).

• Required Subjects: language arts, math, science, social studies, and health.
   (§ 79-1601(2); § 79-318(5))

• Teacher Qualifications: None, unless the home school teacher is "employed" by the family. (§ 79-1601(3))

• Standardized Tests: Although § 79-318(5) gives the State Board of Education the option to adopt regulations for testing and visitation, the Attorney General ruled the testing and visitation must be uniform for all private (and home) schools and it cannot be arranged without the consent of the parents. OAG Opinion, July 30, 1987. (Robert  Spire). As a result, the State Board, in its discretion, has chosen not to require testing or visitation.

• Alternative Statutes Allowing for Home Schools: (§ 79-1601(2))

Any private, denominational or parochial school may "elect not to meet state accreditation or approval requirements." A home school is considered "a private school."   Parents may assert either religious or non-religious objections to state requirements, but the state has one set of rules and forms for non-religious objections (Rule 12) and another for religious objections (Rule 13).

To operate a home school under Rule 12 or Rule 13, parents must do the following: 
   1. Each parent must separately file a notarized "Parent or Guardian Form" (Form A).  This form requires parents to state under oath that requirements for approval and accreditation either "interfere with the decisions in directing my child's education"   (Rule 12) or "violate sincerely held religious beliefs of the parents or legal guardians"   (Rule 13). The form requires parents to affirm under oath that a program of sequential instruction in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, and health is being provided. Parents must also affirm that they are satisfied that the individuals monitoring instruction in the school are qualified to monitor instruction in these skills. Parents filing under Rule 12 must also affirm that they understand that their school must comply with the vaccination requirements of (§ 79-217)
   2. Some adult (usually but not necessarily a parent) must annually also file a notarized "Parent Representative Form" (Form B). The Parent Representative must affirmatively accept certain legal duties pursuant to Neb. Rev. Stat. § 79-1601 and Rule 12 or 13, respectively. This includes the duty to submit information on student enrollment and attendance, monitors, and the sequential program of instruction. 
   3. The Parent Representative must also file an Information Summary (supplemental sheet to Form B) prior to the date that the home school begins operation and annually thereafter by August 1. This must include the following: 
       a. A copy of Form A for each parent. (This could be a copy of the original Form A, not a new Form A each year.) 
       b. A calendar for the school year indicating a minimum instruction of 1,080 hours in secondary schools and 1,032 hours in elementary schools. (For a home school, this can be a very general statement of when the school term begins and ends.) 
       c. A list of all "instructional monitors" in the home school (typically the parents);  including name, address, age, highest level of education completed, names of educational institutions attended and the specific years attended, and a summary of prior teaching experience. 
       d. A scope and sequence for each grade level. 
   4. Upon enrollment of a child's first year of home education, a certified copy of birth certificate (or other proof as allowed by law) must be submitted to the Nebraska Department of Education. 
  Children are excused from compulsory attendance whenever they complete the program of instruction offered by their home school.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Hi Anna. Welcome. :)

Some great advice being given above me. Homeschooling doesn't have to be difficult or stressfull. Take slow breath in and hold for three seconds and let out slow. You are going to do just fine. Find your hs laws and make a copy for your personal records. Then decide what directiin you and your kids want/need to go and look for curriculum that supports that decision. Now, you really don't need to buy expensive curriculum to educate. But, if you feel more comfortable using that then do so. That is the beauty of homeschooling. Doing what you want/need when you want/need however you want/need whenever you want/need. Ate you wanting yo go secular or religious with your curriculum? Just as an fyi, you may mix and match so that you get what you feel is the best suited to your kids' needs. You can do this.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Check to see if there are any homeschool expos in your area.

Some programs we like or that I've heard great things about are:

Apologia Science

History of the World

Saxon Math

Check for online programs.

Join the homeschool buyers co-op online (free) they have specials on many programs and another great way to become familiar with what's out there.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

How To Home School  hass all thatt informmation, and more that you will need to know (including how to find your state laws .  your State Home School Association will also be helpful in finding support groups)

oredeb
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

welcome anna!!!!

AnnaBright
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Thank you! Ive got the exemption forms printed out and working for my state. Think I might have an issue truancy laws since I will not send her back there and they want 30 days ,but working w dr to get it excused.
BramblePatch
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Are you open to a religious curriculum? If so, I strongly recommend Heart of Dakota. For Secular, take a look at Moving Beyond the Page or Oak Meadow.
AnnaBright
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I am not very religious, have beliefs and not against incorporating them but prefer to have more academic approach. Shes very self motivated and reads nonstop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)