Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Newbie to group and homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello, I've decided to start homeschooling my oldest for multiple reasons  and this is going to be  a sudden switch. In short we moved and the school shes in here is HORRIBLE. I haven't had to even consider homeschooling before because we were lucky enough to be in a great system and my kids thrived.  So......In short HELP ! I have no clue where to start ... My daughter is in 6th grade and was in all advanced classes and her grades have always been great and still are. Curriculium suggestions, co-ops anybody might know of in my area (Lincoln NE), Feild trip and project ideas ... anything ... I need it. 

Thanks Anna

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-13):
PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Look at that rule closer. Sometimes it just means that they want you to file within 30 days of opening a school. Like the don't want you to file in May if you are opening in August. 

Quoting AnnaBright:

Thank you! Ive got the exemption forms printed out and working for my state. Think I might have an issue truancy laws since I will not send her back there and they want 30 days ,but working w dr to get it excused.

PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Sounds like a visual learner. My daughter is one. She is self motivated, loves reading and note taking. 

The choice between religious and non religious boils down to a few basic differences.

1. Religious usually incorporates biblical lessons and concepts during the day.

2. Religious curriculum usually teaches creationism instead of evolution. 

Quoting AnnaBright:

I am not very religious, have beliefs and not against incorporating them but prefer to have more academic approach. Shes very self motivated and reads nonstop.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Sounds like you've gotten some great advice.  Do you want to stay with a more traditional approach, since she's self motivated and already doing well, do you want to branch out into some exploratory/discovery learning?  Her style and the style that you are interested in working with are big factors in choosing curriculum - or choosing what to put into curriculum if you're building your own.

We absolutely love Apologia Science.  My dad was a high school science teacher for years, and when he looked through our kids' textbooks he was very impressed.  They are creation based, so if you don't believe in creation you need to know that, but they are very solid and have a lot of experiments and illustrations that make the science more grounded for the kids.

We use Math-U-See, though they've gone through some changes recently to meet the common core, and I haven't seen their new material.  One really good thing about most of the math programs is that they offer free testing so that you can figure out where she is as far as their leveling system.  There are also free math resources (and just about everything else) available online and often through your local library.

If you're going to continue through secondary school, then you'll definitely need to make sure you're keeping solid records and are able to prepare transcripts through high school.  Lee Binz's website is an incredible resource for this type of information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN