Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Stuck Homeschooling Vent

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hi, first I want to say it is not me. This lady I know said that son has been acting out at school, kicked off the bus, and now she is stuck homeschooling him. I got so irritated over that, I know her son acts out, and has behavior issues, but I think that was so mean to say. I won't lie there are those times when I need a break, or I question why I decided it, or if I am tired Destinay is having a bad day and she fights every assignment I give her and I get negative feelings but I never felt stuck, I think I consider it a privilege to be in the position I am in to watch her grow and see her true milestones, without the anxiety of school and the people in it. I just don't like it when people don't appreciate that they are fortunate they are able to have children and to be with much as they can. I know that not all people can homeschool, but saying being stuck homeschooling it is like saying stuck parenting is just wrong. I have to keep my distance; because it made me angry. I know it is none of my business but it made me so mad that I had to let it out here; have a nice day.
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Me thinks the child's issues at school come from issues with his mother at home. 

It's probably gonna get worse now since he is homeschooling. 

It irritates me as well when I get asked, "you like being with your kids all day?"

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

She is also going to have a hard time homeschooling.   Not necessarily because of her son, but because of her attitude.

I know my family struggles and have plenty of tough days.   I know that we have challenges to our homeschooling.   However, I wouldn't trade it for the world and the best days we have are usually the days I'm giving it my best (especially in my attitude.)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Not everyone is cut out to homeschool. Like anything in life, if you're forced into a position you do not want, you feel stuck.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I can relate when I have an attitude problem, that is when Destinay fights me on assignments.

Quoting KrissyKC:

She is also going to have a hard time homeschooling.   Not necessarily because of her son, but because of her attitude.

I know my family struggles and have plenty of tough days.   I know that we have challenges to our homeschooling.   However, I wouldn't trade it for the world and the best days we have are usually the days I'm giving it my best (especially in my attitude.)

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I agree, my son has Bipolar disorder and a lot of his negative behaviors turned around when I changed the way I parent him.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Me thinks the child's issues at school come from issues with his mother at home. 

It's probably gonna get worse now since he is homeschooling. 

It irritates me as well when I get asked, "you like being with your kids all day?"

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I know what you are saying, but I think it is wrong to be that way, like someone is forcing you to deal with your child. Not everyone can homeschool but to be so negative about being with your child is concerning.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not everyone is cut out to homeschool. Like anything in life, if you're forced into a position you do not want, you feel stuck.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

You're over-reacting, lol. It isn't "concerning" to express dislike for doing something unexpected and undesirable. It isn't just "being with" your child - it's being with them all day, every day, and being responsible for their education in its entirety. That is no light load.

It is no more concerning to me that a parent doesn't want to homeschool, than it is concerning to me that mom hears she is now going to be responsible for, say, cooking every single meal for the entire family, for the next 6 years - no take out, no restaurants, no help from hubby, etc. All on her. It would be daunting to many people.

Quoting Mommynay2:

I know what you are saying, but I think it is wrong to be that way, like someone is forcing you to deal with your child. Not everyone can homeschool but to be so negative about being with your child is concerning.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I think you've said it all so wonderfully.  Thank you!  :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You're over-reacting, lol. It isn't "concerning" to express dislike for doing something unexpected and undesirable. It isn't just "being with" your child - it's being with them all day, every day, and being responsible for their education in its entirety. That is no light load.

It is no more concerning to me that a parent doesn't want to homeschool, than it is concerning to me that mom hears she is now going to be responsible for, say, cooking every single meal for the entire family, for the next 6 years - no take out, no restaurants, no help from hubby, etc. All on her. It would be daunting to many people.

Quoting Mommynay2:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I can totally understand this Mom's comments and feelings. I would never have thought, even in my wildest dreams, that I would be homeschooling or even a stay at home mom. The idea had to grow on me.

God had other plans. I had gone to, and loved, a small private christian school. I had a bad experience with public junior high and knew I wanted private school for my kids.

Well, the way life happened, we couldn't afford that and I looked into homeschooling and tossed the idea around and DH thought I was insane and so we sent the oldest, then #2 to public school.

DS2 didnt go to pre-k before public kinder. I had tried pre-k homeschool stuff and it was a nightmare. He fought, he cried, i screamed, it was horrid. I figured DH was right. Homeschool wasnt for us so off to public he went.

Well, we realised in kinder, there was more to it. He has issues. Overly sensitive ears caused him to run and hide any time they did songs, clapping, etc. He was always impulsive, jumping out of his seat, not.cooperaing, and more. We struggled through K with an awesome teacher.

In 1st, Moderate ADHD and a processing disorder were diagnosed, we got teacherzilla from hell and I brought him home.

Best decision we have made for our kids. I knew DS1 had been beat up once and was picked on but overall he was doing ok in public school. When I announced what I was doing with DS2 I found out he was beat up 3x and just didnt tell me and he cried and asked to try homeschool too.

I admit I was terrified. I did feel stuck for a bit but I had at least contemplated homeschooling at some point and I knew, especially with DS2, I couldn't do any worse! It did take time to get my brain wrapped around it REALLY happening.

Anyway, with this other parent, keep an open mind. Maybe offer some pointers and hopefully her eyes will be opened like mine. We have been homeschooling for 7 years now and while we have bad days, I wouldnt change it for anything.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM
What gets me is the public school system can bust on parents for wanting to homeschool but when they the public schools have behavioral issues that they either don't or won't deal with, they can send the child home to be "homeschooled"! ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)