Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

O/T: Eat your veggies!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've been trying for 8-9 months now to get my littlest one to enjoy veggies.   WITHOUT hiding them in his food all the time.

All the others just naturally gravitated to eating what we provided.   Yes, we usually have some cheap carb (pasta, rice, bread..) on the menu, however, just offering 2 veggies per meal and letting them choose which and how much was enough to get them to eat them.

Reilly has consistantly refused veggies since he started eating.   If they hit his tongue, they come right back out.

A few things he WILL eat......

"hiding them" by cooking them into spagetti sauce.

Salad???  Yeah, he started by eating it off my plate, so I wait until he asks and I mince some up for him and give it to him right from my plate... he'll devour it because mom's eating it first and he seems to like ranch dressing.   I could prep the same thing for him ahead of time and he doesn't eat it as well.   

tunafish... he LOVES tuna... so I slice up and mince up teeeny pieces of celery and semi-cooked carrots... and mix it in.

Some veggies get eaten easily in rice and pasta casseroles... 

Do you have any more suggestions, or just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens?   Yes, I COULD start doing smoothies and things, but I was hoping to start a pattern young of them actually liking to just EAT their veggies...

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Quite frankly, I would just keep doing what you are doing and just make sure the veggies are not overcooked. Othet than that, I think going to the other end of the extreme is going to set a precedent that your kids will expect each and every time. Not something I'd be willing to do but thst's just me.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Put them in baked goods. There are cookies & muffin recipes that you can sneak vegetables into. Have you tried making spaghetti with spaghetti squash? I would also keep doing what you are doing.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep it up.  Also I agree with Sonja, make sure not to overcook them!!  My mom (Bless her) cooked veggies to mush and I hated them until I was cooking them myself. 

Kid friendly veggies ( AKA the sweet ones): butternut squash, spaghetti squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, sweet peas, snap peas, multi-colored chard (silverbeet), beets (although I think they are gross and cannot eat them, my boys LOVE them).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

How old is he?

Around 4, we have a "two bite rule". If after two bites you dislike it, that's fine - you aren't required to eat it.

I would also suggest (if you haven't already) allowing the option of raw veggies with dip. Raw veggies are actually more nutritious anyway, and they seem to appeal to children more, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I used to do the whole "just take two or three bites"... it worked for my oldest.   My second child would puke all over himself and the dinner table if you made him put stuff in his mouth.... we kinda stopped that really quick.   (blech!)   I didn't worry about him, though, because he ate a lot of healthy stuff, just was picky about a few things.   My third eats whatever you give her... 

Reilly, however, is only 16 months, and he should be happily munching on his steamed veggies.. yet he refuses them and spits them out.   

Quoting AutymsMommy:

How old is he?

Around 4, we have a "two bite rule". If after two bites you dislike it, that's fine - you aren't required to eat it.

I would also suggest (if you haven't already) allowing the option of raw veggies with dip. Raw veggies are actually more nutritious anyway, and they seem to appeal to children more, lol.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Thanks ladies, it's not a huge deal, I just have been noticing his eating habits more lately. 

I minced up a bunch of raw celery and tomatoes and drizzled some ranch on them for lunch.   He devoured them.  LOL!   I guess ranch is the secret.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I think making a big deal of it is going to set you up for battles.  My oldest LOVES veggies (that one shocked me--I always thought ALL kids hated veggies!), so my 2nd came along and refused veggies.  For a long time.  He's 9.  He'll eat cucumbers.  Maybe a carrot.  But we talk about healthy eating and such, and he's getting more into it.  And I think the goal is for him to choose to eat right, yes?  So you want him to choose the veggies, not just get them snuck in.  You can feed him gummy vitamins to supplement.  Keep doin' what you're doin'!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

These are good suggestions for me. My son hates veggies too :-/

pamelathemommy
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

At that age my best bet was always to eat it in front of them and then wait for them to clamour for bites. Also, have you tried a basic guacamole? I just mash an avocado with some lemon juice and a light garlic powder sprinkle and my 21 month old will eat all of it by licking it off the chips.  I know you want to avoid hiding them, but green smoothies work well in our house (just frozen strawberries a banana and a ton of spinach with a dash of milk). The kids know there are vegetables in there and even help make the smoothies - they just see it as another way we prepare and eat veggies. We also dice vegetablesm for omlets.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Go with the ranch. Kids will eat anything they can dip. Give him raw whatever and let him dip to his heart's content. Mix peanut butter and a bit of cream cheese together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)