Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know evry state is different but I just wanted to see if anyone has ever had a problem getting out of Jury Duty when having the valid excuse of homeschooling or being a stay at home mom?

Yep, as you can tell I got a summons today.  Don't even get me started.....

But, I've already downloaded a copy of a recent bill that was ammended to allow for exemption for primary care providers for kids under 6, which I am.

Still annoying because I'm sure they'll only defer it and not give a permanent exemption so I'll probably be sending letters year after year!

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (11-17):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I was on a jury years ago when I was working.  One fellow was excused from serving.  He spent the whole time acting like he was asleep while the lawyers were screening people.  That's my master plan if I get called up!

Good luck being excused or dismissed!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I agree mostly... I don't think we should make a lot of excuses as women.   However, I feel that a really small child IS a valid excuse.    It's not about the mother's right... it's about the child's rights and needs.   I think that the mother's duty as primary care person to a small child should be a priority and it shouldn't mean that she has any less rights than a man.  ((should be able to apply to SAHD's, too))...

Some people are raising their kids through "attachment parenting"...   some mothers honestly have never pumped and the baby never takes a bottle (I had one that never took a bottle until 5 months)..  You cannot control how long the trial will be.   My MIL was on a trial that took weeks, some of that time sequestered.   That can be a severe displacement for a young infant/child.

Sure, we want the same rights as men, but still... it's not about the mother's rights or the mother's willingness to serve.  It's about guarding the rights of the really young.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I also just got a summons a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if homeschooling is a legal excuse or not, but I'm not sure I think it should be, in any case (or breastfeeding or transportation for that matter). Women want to be treated as equals, yet want an "out" when it comes to performing a civic duty. 

Hopefully I won't be called because of something in my family's past (which makes it very difficult for me to be impartial), but if I am, I'll have to make arrangements for my children, probably to stay with a friend during the day while I go. It will be a huge pain, though. I think only retirees should be called to jury duty. :)

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:51 AM
If you can't get out of it but absolutely cannot serve... Answer their questions in a "i can't be impartial" way. I'd imagine that would get you dismissed.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I had to go a few years ago and I can't remember if I was pregnant at the time or not.  I remember that they were dismissing people left and right for really stupid seeming reasons.  They finally got me up in the jury box and were asking questions, not if the guy murdered the woman but if we thought that that we could be impartial that it was possible that he did it in self defense.  So basically, this guy had murdered someone and was sitting there staring at me.

I think I about had a heart attack because I get very nervous about this stuff.  LOL  I must have turned about 4 shades of green and they didn't pick me........that was fine by me because imagining having to go through a trial, I probably would have ended up in the hospital. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

So, I finally figured out that there is an actual exemption form that I can request, they don't make it easy to know about.  I called today and was told they would mail me out the small children caregiver exemption form.

It wouldn't be a big deal but I really do not have family. Dh's family...South America and mine are many states away.  I don't use babysitters. 

I don't know how any SAHM could go...what if you're on a long trial and end up sequestered? 

Anyway, a good ending for me at this time.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM
That's a relief! I'm glad you found an exemption.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

So, I finally figured out that there is an actual exemption form that I can request, they don't make it easy to know about.  I called today and was told they would mail me out the small children caregiver exemption form.

It wouldn't be a big deal but I really do not have family. Dh's family...South America and mine are many states away.  I don't use babysitters. 

I don't know how any SAHM could go...what if you're on a long trial and end up sequestered? 

Anyway, a good ending for me at this time.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Small children definitely do not need the stress of being displaced because of a trial. I know several stay at home dads who would also be in a tight spot if called up, and I'm sure they would ask to be dismissed just as fast as a woman. :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

I agree mostly... I don't think we should make a lot of excuses as women.   However, I feel that a really small child IS a valid excuse.    It's not about the mother's right... it's about the child's rights and needs.   I think that the mother's duty as primary care person to a small child should be a priority and it shouldn't mean that she has any less rights than a man.  ((should be able to apply to SAHD's, too))...

Some people are raising their kids through "attachment parenting"...   some mothers honestly have never pumped and the baby never takes a bottle (I had one that never took a bottle until 5 months)..  You cannot control how long the trial will be.   My MIL was on a trial that took weeks, some of that time sequestered.   That can be a severe displacement for a young infant/child.

Sure, we want the same rights as men, but still... it's not about the mother's rights or the mother's willingness to serve.  It's about guarding the rights of the really young.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I also just got a summons a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if homeschooling is a legal excuse or not, but I'm not sure I think it should be, in any case (or breastfeeding or transportation for that matter). Women want to be treated as equals, yet want an "out" when it comes to performing a civic duty. 

Hopefully I won't be called because of something in my family's past (which makes it very difficult for me to be impartial), but if I am, I'll have to make arrangements for my children, probably to stay with a friend during the day while I go. It will be a huge pain, though. I think only retirees should be called to jury duty. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN