Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you make spelling fun?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 16 Replies
Help
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Spellingcity.com

Hangman, crossword puzzles, pyramid words, have them sign the words, use foam, whipped cream or another medium to paint the words

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Hangman is great, scrabble or bananagrams are fun. Making up silly stories that use the spelling words can be a great way to help learn them too!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM
What are you having trouble with specifically? The whole thing or that its boring? Maybe trouble with spelling the words?
QueenCreole313
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
He says it's boring
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
We use sequential spelling for our curriculum. It works off of word families, not just the rules. Also add in Scrabble as a supplement.
coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my oldest do 5 different activities with her words a week.  Granted mine is 7 and I know yours is older.  We did putting them in alphabetic order, reverse alphabetic order, word scramble (no word list), word search (no word list), and then write each one ten times each.

I tried having her write silly sentences with them, but I got the same sentece repeated with a different spelling word in each sentence.  I had to change things up and make them so that she could do them at her level.  I also tried having her write a rhyming word....that wasn't a spellling word either.  That one was an epic fail.  This poor child NEVER learned rhying between pre-k and K (both public school).  I had to spend the rest of the year working on rhyming with her on top of her regular work.  She is better at it, but not great yet.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons pick their own words and chose how to learn them any way they wish. I love looking up creative ways to learn them. We have used legos to spell words, stencils, 3D spelling house that they built. Try having him type his spelling words if he enjoys typing. http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/2012/10/75-fun-ways-to-practice-and-learn.html
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Bug slap.... Put the letters down and say the word then he slaps the letters that spell the word with a fly swatter.

Beat the clock.  Have him run to the white board and write the word as fast as he can.

Hang man.  Word searches.  Circle the misspelled words.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

How old? My kids loved to paint their spelling list each week with water colors, stamp them with alphabet stampers, play hangman on the white board, rainbow write the words with markers, spell them out with magnetic letters on a cookie sheet, write them on the bathroom mirror after bath time.....

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
We use a blackboard and take turns being the teacher. It makes it more fun for everyone.

I love all of these other ideas too! Consider them stolen ladies!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN