Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you make spelling fun?

Help
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-16):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Well then, maybe have him do some type of silly activity while he is spelling a particular word. Maybe even have him do a loud and soft spelling contest where one word is spelled as soft as he can and still be heard and then do the same with the loud word and give a reward if he follows instructions.
What you are looking for is doing the spelling of the words as different as possible. Then, he can write a hard copy to be put up in a special plave for Everyone to admire. Sort of like a badge of honor. To show off his hard earned work.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

He says it's boring

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing I like more than a mom who steals ideas to help her kids along.  I am so glad that we have such a helpful group.  I can't begin to count the ideas I have "stolen" from this group that have been AWESOME for my kids.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We use a blackboard and take turns being the teacher. It makes it more fun for everyone.

I love all of these other ideas too! Consider them stolen ladies!

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
This is our first year and it's been a blast. One huge reason has been all the wonderful ideas I've incorporated that have come from the ladies here. :)

Quoting coala:

There is nothing I like more than a mom who steals ideas to help her kids along.  I am so glad that we have such a helpful group.  I can't begin to count the ideas I have "stolen" from this group that have been AWESOME for my kids.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We use a blackboard and take turns being the teacher. It makes it more fun for everyone.

I love all of these other ideas too! Consider them stolen ladies!

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I  use the board game Ring Around The Phonics to teach spelling

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

another fun activity...

write the spelling words and trace them in different colors coming out further and further out from the word... it gives it a rainbow effect.   This wouldn't be for every word, but for a few tricky ones.   Make it even more exciting by setting it up with black lighting and let them trace it under the black light.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

We don't do spelling,lol. They learn to spell as they write and read. That's good enough for me :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN