Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you homeschool more than one?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am currently only homeschooling my daughter.  She was in PS kindergarten last year and had to repeat.  This year started out pretty awful so I pulled her out to homeschool.  Things are already MUCH better and I think we can get her caught up with her brother who is in 1st grade by the end of the year.  (because she was almost ready for first when she started K part 2)  Anyway I have 4 kids in all.  One is in pre-k and the other will be in pre-k next year.  Things have been going so well with homeschooling my dd (the most difficult child I have) that I am truly considering homeschooling all 4.  

Do you homeschool more than 1 child?

How much time does it take?  Do you work independently with each child or do you do some stuff together?  What would be some general advice you would give?  I would have a K and 2 2nd graders come August of next year.

Ithink I'll go ahead and send my youngest to pre-k because I LOVE the teacher and she is my friend. :)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onetoknow4
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hi... I homeschool three children.  My daughter is in 5th, one son is in the 4th, and a son in 2nd. 

There are some things we do together, but mostly the older two have subjects together.  I enjoy working one on one with my younger son right now, to make certain he is really getting what is being taught.  Its so much fun!!  I'll admit, there are trials-- but mostly we have a good time together.  This year my biggest struggle has been creating a balance for the fieldtrips.  The gap in ages is oftentimes a problem when it comes to age appropriate places.  For example, some of the places I had looked into-- required the 7yr olds to do different things with more supervision; and the 9yr and up supervision as well.  I am the sole caregiver, and most of my friends work, and paying for another person out of pocket is not in the budget always.  So for now, we are winging it!!  It'll get better soon.  Best wishes to you, and enjoy the milestones...

WizardOfAhs
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

5th, 7th, and 9th graders here =) The eldest has been hsing since 2nd grade, the other two I tried (really I did) to put in ps for a couple years, but did not like the results. Anyways..I think like anyone, you will have 'those days' where things just don't gel, but most of the time we accomplish what we need. For myself, I have discovered that if I stay organized, it all falls into place much easier all week long. My biggest tips? 

Don't sweat the small stuff. Really. If you only get 15/20 math problems done? Great! Curriculum is only as good as you can teach it, or they can understand it. 

Try to remember that pretty much everything you do in your home is some kind of learning experience. Chores are called Home Ec here, hehe.

Don't let your kids get ahead of themselves. Take the time to explain, approach the problem from a different angle, watch a video or go to the library. Sometimes a different environment can stimulate learning.

Enforce family time. Don't get me wrong...being in the same house with your siblings can become a real issue when it's 24/7. Give them some opportunities to separate themselves. Some days I have to literally make them go to separate rooms for schoolwork, and by the time they are done they are ready to play willingly with each other. But never let them forget that they are family, they need to depend on each other, entertain each other, help mom and dad out by being the best brother or sister they can. Also, let them know they can be good teachers as well! Explain how they can lead by example. It gives them some responsibility and accountability.

Most importantly...Breathe! It really is worth it

misselphaba
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I homeschool two and baby-sit a toddler five days a week.  

We don't do a ton of sit down work, though, so I am probably not the best to answer your questions.  

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I have 2.  My youngest has needed more me time to help her with learning her arithmetic.  My oldest has been pretty hands off for the last several months, but she is an upcoming 2nd grader who is a great self starter.  Currently my girls have a list of stuff they need to get done during the day in "responsibility" folder.  They use a dry erase marker to cross off what they have done.  I have a page dedicated to morning routines, afternoon routines, evening routines and their school day.  I can easily look to see what they have accomplished for the day.  I work with them when they hit a wall or are really struggling.  Otherwise I have pretty independent students.  Right now they are kind of un-schooling, but they have arithmetic I have thrown in. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I have 3 boys here.  3rd/4th grade, 1st grade and an early kindergartener. 

We work 5hours/day (not counting phys ed, health/safety, and home ec).  I teach Math and Language arts on grade level, nearly everything else I teach them all together.  We just go deeper with the older one and just scratch the surface with the youngest.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
When they are close in age like yours are, combine for as many subjects as possible. Science, history, art, read alouds, and some language arts can be done together. During the younger grades, school with two kids took about 2 hours.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Yes, I homeschool more than one. In fact I homeschool 6. It used to be 7 but one has graduated.
We do one on one and independant study.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I have 3.... 5th, 8th and 10th.

The 5th and 8th graders do All About Spelling together daily as the 5th grader is advanced and the 8th grader has a processing disorder. We didnt get AAS when my 8th grader was young so we started it when I was able to get it for DD. They also do ASL together.

They also do Science experiments together once a week. The rest of the time they work independently.

I would definitely schoool the ones that are only one year apart together and the oldest two together.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I homeschool all 4 of mine. They are 3,4,6 and 7. I am lucky my older two are pretty self motivated and I can explain something briefly and they get it.

My younger 2 only school for an hour this year and then I focus on the older two. They all do science and history together though they get things at different levels.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I have three (1st, 2nd, and 5th grades). 

We do workboxes, so that is their 'individual' work each day - math, handwriting, phonics/LA, reading, etc. While they go through their workboxes, I rotate around the room assisting or answering questions as needed. I sit down and do the math lessons with the younger two (I stagger their placement in the workboxes so they aren't needing me to do that at the same time); my oldest has a DVD set that goes with her math textbook so 99% of the time she's fine on her own with that.

After lunch, we do 'together time' stuff. Most days that includes reading aloud (this semester that is either a Narnia series book or Little House), while they work on drawing notebooks, lapbooks, or just rest quietly and listen. Sometimes we then watch a short video, DVD segment etc as well. Once in awhile we do a craft for together time. It rarely lasts more than an hour.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN