Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you homeschool more than one?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am currently only homeschooling my daughter.  She was in PS kindergarten last year and had to repeat.  This year started out pretty awful so I pulled her out to homeschool.  Things are already MUCH better and I think we can get her caught up with her brother who is in 1st grade by the end of the year.  (because she was almost ready for first when she started K part 2)  Anyway I have 4 kids in all.  One is in pre-k and the other will be in pre-k next year.  Things have been going so well with homeschooling my dd (the most difficult child I have) that I am truly considering homeschooling all 4.  

Do you homeschool more than 1 child?

How much time does it take?  Do you work independently with each child or do you do some stuff together?  What would be some general advice you would give?  I would have a K and 2 2nd graders come August of next year.

Ithink I'll go ahead and send my youngest to pre-k because I LOVE the teacher and she is my friend. :)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I have two girls: one 3rd grader, and one in 6th.  Math, LA, Science, Social Studies, and Health are all taught for their grade level but they love listening to what the other is doing (except math!).  I start with one, give the workbook assignment, then switch to the other.  Writing is together, though my older daughter does a deeper paper of course.  Art, music, PE, etc., are done at the end of the day with both.  We usually take about 4.5 - 5 hours to get through the school day.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I plan to but we're not there yet.  DS is only 22 months but he will be learning along with her in about 6 months.  As for now, we do most of our school work while he is sleeping.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I forgot to mention afternoon rest time is my best friend.

I have the kids lay down for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

They can read quietly or play with a small toy as long as they stay in their bed.

It gives us all that little bit of me time and I can get some extra work done around the house, make phone calls or rest if it has been a hard day for one or all four.
letstalk747
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM

just 1

trina60
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I am homeschool five. 5th,  4th, 3rd, 1st,  K.  It can get overwhelming some times but I try to stick to a schedule. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I have four kids.   I guess I don't technically homeschool the 1 yr old, but DOING school with him around can be ah... um... exciting... yeah... sure... LOL!  

I also have a kindergartener that is VERY... well.. Abby.   I think we may have to have her evaluated.   I can't break bad habits (thumb sucking, wetting, even pooing her pants) and I can't get through the fog that clouds her ability to think straight sometimes.   She is ALWAYS moving and ALWAYS talking... she gets in other kids faces to the point the other kids hide from her.    It's much more challenging with her, and she can really wipe most of my enthusiasm and energy out.   

That being said, I still don't have any desire to send them back to school (the older two were in public for a short time)...   

When you teach all four, the secret is to combine as much as you can and prioritize.   

Headevas
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool 2 kids. My son is a senior and my daughter is in 4th grade. Its not as hard as u think. U will do great! Go for it and homeschool all of ur kids. U won't regret it!
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I homeschool 3: 6th, 4th and 3rd grades.  We do science together but that's mostly it.  My 6th grader is pretty independent, and the other two do some together but a lot seperately.  I just work with one on things that she needs my help with while the other does independent work such as typing or their computer work.

monkeybunns
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I do full school with my 5.5 year old and my almost 3 year old likes to participate how he can. I work with him independently doing prereading skills after our day. My 5.5 year old started reading just after his 3rd birthday and my younger is ready to learn and will likely be doing preschool in the spring and some kindergarten things in the fall. I will do science, history and geography, some parts of speech things, etc the two of them together and working on reading, math, spelling, and other really leveled subjects separately. We do Apologia for science which focuses on one type of science for the year. We just did human anatomy and are now doing astronomy which both boys are interested in.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I teach my 2, oldest is 4th, youngest is K.
I have the oldest work on independent work while I work with the younger one. On some things, we combine the lessons together. For science, we go over the lessons together, the younger one helps with labs, but I don't expect him to do the writing part of the labs. Handwriting they do their separate books on their own levels. He usually only takes an hour, two if he is being pokey. When I'm done working with him, then I focus on the other subjects with my oldest where she actually needs one on one time.  In theory, we should be done in no more than 5 hours...but she has been DRAGGING lately and it's been lasting far longer than it should :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)