Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Motivation and procrastination

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am struggling here. My kids adore the program we use but are hitting what I call Fall lag. They dont want to do full days at all and are just whinny about it. I have tried rewards, cajoling, being strict (which isnt me at all) so now Im just plain frustrated. 

Our program is Little Lincolns laid out on a 180 day setup per grade. Each day has lessons for the day for all subjects. We do a lot of hands on stuff and learning is very visual/hands on. I need help here please. I dont want school to be a fight How do we fix this?? Oh we do have a schedule with free time, yoga, lunch and recess. Schedule helps a little but what I really want to eliminate is the fussy fighting to do the actual work not just the fun stuff. 

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

How long dose a normal day take?

fairymom82
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Well if they follow the schedule usually 4 hours of actual school work. Adding in recess, yoga, lunch and stuff 6 hours total. 

Quoting usmom3:

WizardOfAhs
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Sounds to me like they are pushing your boundaries. Pretty common in all kids. There is a difference between taking a day off as a quick break and wanting to just stop learning altogether. I find that taking away game time is the quickest way to encourage them to get on the ball. No work? No rewards. Sometimes a very long explanation about how the real world works, what work ethic is, and contrasting ignorance and stupidity and how it affects them.

Always stand firm. You are the parent and in charge. I'm not saying you should be mean, just...be a parent.

PS. Never threaten to send them back to ps, unless you really truly are willing to do it. If it isn't an option, don't present it. 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried breaking it up where you do work for 30 minutes & take a break for 30 minutes?

We have implemented a 30 minute time limit on all things. So they clean their room for 30 minutes or read for 30 minutes & so on & so forth. So far it has worked, things that they want to do gets done & things I need them to do gets done with no fights or power struggles.

Quoting fairymom82:

Well if they follow the schedule usually 4 hours of actual school work. Adding in recess, yoga, lunch and stuff 6 hours total. 

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM
That is a great plan! Wonder if it would work on my brood?! lol

Quoting usmom3:

Have you tried breaking it up where you do work for 30 minutes & take a break for 30 minutes?

We have implemented a 30 minute time limit on all things. So they clean their room for 30 minutes or read for 30 minutes & so on & so forth. So far it has worked, things that they want to do gets done & things I need them to do gets done with no fights or power struggles.

Quoting fairymom82:

Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Bump!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

How is your attitude?   Are you feeling "fall lag" too?   If so, what would get you excited about it again.  

I have found that my kids get excited when I get excited usually.    Can you do something new?   Pick up a book the family likes and pick a nice time a day to all go outside under a tree and just read?   Maybe give them clipboards and pencils and they can draw the leaves, acorns, twigs, etc? quietly while you read aloud?   The older kids can take turns reading with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)