Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking about next year

Posted by   + Show Post

I know what I am doing for math, ancient history, english and spelling next year.  (At least I am pretty confident on those)  That just leaves science, geography, social studies, american history and handwriting.    I am starting early on research so I can buy bits and pieces at a time and not worry about going broke buying curriculum.   DS will be in 3rd grade and we went pretty lite on most of those this year.   My only real requirement is no religious curriculum.  I am mostly wondering about Science, American History and Handwriting.  If you have recommendations for the other two I am all ears, but they are lower on my list of priorities right now.

Anyone use R.E.A.L. science?  I thought it looked pretty interesting, but not sure how much extra stuff we would need to buy to go with it.

What about Handwriting Without Tears?  I wouldn't mind having him start cursive, as he started learning in PreK and still remembers some of it.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated!

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Replies (11-14):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry for the spelling issues, was on my phone earlier.  Yes, it's a wonderful program for crazy active kids lol.

I suggest just buying the whole pkg at first.  I've placed order after order over the past few months buying more and more. It would have been cheaper to just buy it all at once. 

At first, I didn't get why I would want/need variations on the chalk boards, wood letters, etc but I get that keeping their interest by doing the same thing in different ways is key!

They often have free online seminars which have been very helpful.  For the most part, I have used their planner in the back of the teacher's book as a guide for what activities we are doing. I skip some if she's master it but it's really fun!  I cannot believe how much time she is willing to sit down and work on letters and coloring etc.  I'm shocked actually!  It really has eased her frustrations because she is a perfectionist. 

Quoting kmath:

Awesome, that is really good to know.  DS can't stand handwriting so I want something fun for him.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Love love live handwriting without tears!!!! My dd cannot sit still and Zi was so worried about this subject turns out it is her favorite lots of variety and lots of fun!!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

No problem, I have spelling issues all the time!  :)

Good to know about what to buy with it.  They do have a crazy amount of stuff to go with it.  I wasn't sure it all actually got used, so it is nice to hear that you do use it. 

Mine isn't a perfectionist.  His handwriting is perfect according to him, but it is really bad.  LOL  He is lazy when it comes to writing.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Sorry for the spelling issues, was on my phone earlier.  Yes, it's a wonderful program for crazy active kids lol.

I suggest just buying the whole pkg at first.  I've placed order after order over the past few months buying more and more. It would have been cheaper to just buy it all at once. 

At first, I didn't get why I would want/need variations on the chalk boards, wood letters, etc but I get that keeping their interest by doing the same thing in different ways is key!

They often have free online seminars which have been very helpful.  For the most part, I have used their planner in the back of the teacher's book as a guide for what activities we are doing. I skip some if she's master it but it's really fun!  I cannot believe how much time she is willing to sit down and work on letters and coloring etc.  I'm shocked actually!  It really has eased her frustrations because she is a perfectionist. 

Quoting kmath:

Awesome, that is really good to know.  DS can't stand handwriting so I want something fun for him.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Love love live handwriting without tears!!!! My dd cannot sit still and Zi was so worried about this subject turns out it is her favorite lots of variety and lots of fun!!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

LOL!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Thank God. You almost gave me a panic attack FOR YOU, lol.

I'm fairly rigorous, but there's no way I could pull all that off without coffee all day, prescription anxiety meds, and alcohol for bed time.

Quoting kmath:

Not really sure I will do ALL of them, just thought I would get suggestions for them and then decide what to do from there.  I know we are doing Ancients because we won't finish it this year, but I doubt we will have a full year with it next year so we might start something new when we finish it. 

I will look into the Ellen McHenry science, that sounds just about right for us.  Thanks!

Yeah, I keep hearing great things about HWOT, so I am pretty sure that is what I will go with.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Any particular reason why you want to do ancients, american history, social studies and geography in the same year? Not slamming at all - just seems like a lot on YOUR plate, lol.

Geography... hmm... I'm not sure if his age will work with it, but Mapping the World With Art (Ellen McHenry).

Science, same. Ellen McHenry. Her stuff is sincerely amazing. Scientist hubby is impressed :) Each unit takes 10-15 weeks, so you can do more than one in a year. Affordable. PDF or actual book available. Hands on, nice to read, fun, and presents very advanced topics/material in such a fun and accessible manner that they are reachable for even elementary students.

I'm not sure about American history at his age. We use Catholic materials for most of history (and for handwriting).

I'll second pp's suggestion of HWOT though, even if I haven't used it, I've heard it's great!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

II'm not even thinking of next year,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN