Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good Enough Reason to Homeschool FOREVER!

Posted by   + Show Post

This video is disturbing but needs to be shared.  It covers the use of a 'restraint' system for public school children.

public school child restraint

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Replies (21-23):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I'm going to take a different side to this.... Now the electric shock thing is OUT ridiculous.Should.Never.Happen.   That said I'm going to address the padded room.

We have begun in the American school system "mainstreaming" kids that never would have been in a "typical" classroom before.  When I went to school (graduated from high school 17 years ago), there was a classroom specifically for the "mentally challenged kids" and a seperate classroom specifically for the "behaviorally challenged kids."  They were kept seperated from the rest of the kids.
Also when I was in school, there were 2 teachers (the algebra 1 teacher and the guidance counselor) who were the designated "paddlers."  We were paddled by the teachers when we misbehaved in a dangerous way.  We had a room called "the tank" for in school suspension for stuff that was really bad, but not dangerous.  And we had after school detention for the stuff that was pretty darn bad, but not so bad that you were sent to the tank.  With ASS (after school suspension) you had to find a way home, no bus to take you so either you were picked up or you walked home.
Fast forward to today, the school is no longer allowed to discipline kids. Nearly at all.  They are not allowed to keep kids after school and heaven forbid you ever tell the kid they have to find their own way home or tell the parent they have to pick their little darling up!! They are not allowed to spank (I am not a spanker, so I have no real problem there) AND on top of it all they have teachers who are not trained to deal with specific diagnoses dealing with the repercussions of having kids who are not emotionally or mentally capable of sitting in their classes.  SO  in light of all of that, the padded room seems like a decent way of dealing with it. 

Remember that this is what parents demanded.  They wanted kids included.  This is what happens in the aftermath.  They have teachers not trained in how to handle dangerous situations, no plan on how to deal with problems, and no "time" to deal with the problems that occur.

lovelylady83
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

you know what kills me is if the parents where using those techniques on their kids... they would get taken away!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I can't watch. My eldest is on the autism spectrum...and my town even has quiet rooms - closet sized empty rooms where they put kids. *shudder*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)