Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Good Enough Reason to Homeschool FOREVER!

Posted by   + Show Post

This video is disturbing but needs to be shared.  It covers the use of a 'restraint' system for public school children.

public school child restraint

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Oh you can say that again!

Quoting ambertreas76:

It seems that alot of parents have NO IDEA what is going on when their kids go to school!!!

Quoting kirbymom:OMG !!! I couldn't even get past the first few minutes!

I am SO grateful that I do not public school my kids. I mean, I would put a hurtin' on anyone for doing that to my child!

How could any parent believe this is right to do to a child?!??

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I noticed this for the 6 months my dd7 was in public kindergarten. There were only 2 moms, me and one other mom who talked to the teacher daily.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh you can say that again!

Quoting ambertreas76:

It seems that alot of parents have NO IDEA what is going on when their kids go to school!!!

I am SO grateful that I do not public school my kids. I mean, I would put a hurtin' on anyone for doing that to my child!

unsuspected
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I am seriously sick to my stomach.  These poor children.

That a-hole said it best "Then, I guess I'm a barbarian."  

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Yep.  Disgusting!!

Quoting unsuspected:

I am seriously sick to my stomach.  These poor children.

That a-hole said it best "Then, I guess I'm a barbarian."  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
That is seriously tragically sad. :(

Quoting debramommyof4:

I noticed this for the 6 months my dd7 was in public kindergarten. There were only 2 moms, me and one other mom who talked to the teacher daily.

Quoting kirbymom:Oh you can say that again!

Quoting ambertreas76:

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

You've got to be kidding me?  You know, sometimes I am overwhelmed working and homeschooling, but I will continue to do so.  How they hell can a school be allowed to put a child in a chair that shocks them?  And that one "quiet room" might as well be the chockey. (Matilida)

LongBeachLiz
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't watch the whole thing. I saw the seclusion room and I have seen it before. Where my mom used to work with behaviorally challeneged kids they used it. These kids were BIG kids and violent to other students and teachers. They had no option but to use the room until help could come (which half the time they would smear their poop all over).

Normal population or even mentally challenged didn't go in there unless there was a danger.

I think in SOME cases there may be two sides to a story.

I also don't think tasing is inappropriate for anything other than to bring down a violent person. If they are just sitting there (even being.defiant) that doesn't seem reasonable.
chlippr77
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
As a preschool teacher, I had to, at times, restrain a difficult child (twice it was actually my own daughter who has behavior issues, that's why we now homeschool) who threatened to harm other children. I would hug them tight (which was the policy of the school) to get them into another room, then sit with them, without touching them until they were ready to calm down. Some times, I would be crying because I knew that to protect the rest of the kids I had to get that child out of the room and I HATED that part, it made me feel guilty for having to hold on so tight, but once we got into the other room, and they calmed down, I would give them another big hug and tell them I loved them. I have scars from two of those students (not my daughter), but to this day if I see them out about town, they run up and give me a big hug. I know I did the right thing, but man did it hurt at the time. But what they show in that video looks very extreme. Didn't they outlaw Electric Shock Therapy, why would we do it to school children now?
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Coming back later
amanda.lyn
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Its all so wrong, but I guess the room would be better them letting anyone get hurt... But really isn't there anything else they can do??? Wow. I work with little kids, and nothing gets that bad... I guess were lucky. The shock chair? Do we do that to criminals for bad behavior? But its ok to do to school children. Where's the common since. Barbaric is right! Ugh, home schooler for life here!!! I'm sick right now!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)