Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sixth Graders told to "Scrap" The Bill of Rights ???

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this article and thought I should pass it on to you. Here is a link......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/common-core-assignment-makes-sixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

What do you think about this article?

undefined

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM

critical thinking 

rather than just memorize and recite or be quizzed on the content, asking kids to prioritize the freedoms discussed in the BofR makes them think about their meaning and importance 

I did something similar for Constitution Day, had my kid write an essay based on their question 

• What are the best elements of the United States Constitution?
  • What are the worst?
Quoting kirbymom:

For what purpose? To what end?

Quoting autodidact:

it's a hypothetical exercise

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM
3 moms liked this

That works if the children are provided with sufficient background so that they can understand the WHY of the Bill of Rights.  Contrary to apparent popular belief critical thinking actually requires knowledge of facts (so that you can think about issues critically  -- testing them against reality).  The problem here is that apparently  the schools aren't having this as part of a comprehensive set of lessons with the aim of better understanding the Constitution.  Moreover, to fully understand ALL of the amendments would take some time even for me, and I'm a lawyer.  This lesson seems poorly thought out at best, and could result in misunderstanding of some of the basics of our government at worst.  

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

rather than just memorize and recite or be quizzed on the content, asking kids to prioritize the freedoms discussed in the BofR makes them think about their meaning and importance 

I did something similar for Constitution Day, had my kid write an essay based on their question 

• What are the worst?
Quoting kirbymom:

For what purpose? To what end?

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

this is a worksheet which complies with common core, which doesn't even directly address civics. 

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Prioritizing is one thing. Scraping/doing away with is something else entirely.
The Bill of Rights are the only thing between us and Anarchy. Remember this story...

The Nazi's came to take away the infirmed and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't infirmed. Then they came for the homosexual and I didn't say anything..because I wasn't one.Then the Nazi's came to take away the blacks and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't black. The Nazi's then came for the Jew and I didn't say anything because.. I wasn't one. Then they came for me and no one said anything.. because there was no one left. So, as they strip tbe rights of the honeschooler and you dob't say anything because your not homeschooling, and as they re-write history in our school system and you don't say anything because it doesn't affect you, as they demand that you wear seatbelts just to save the insurance companies money, don't be surprised when find there are no rights left to take away.
When Society as a whole, doesn't stand up and say, when rights are being tampered with, STOP! just because it doesn't affect them "at the moment", doesn't mean that at some point it won't affect them at a future date. Thus the scenario above shows that in rral time. THAT is our past. And those who don't know or remember, are doomed to repeat the past.

Kids are will or will not remember the information based on how much value has been built into KNOWING that information. And scraping/doung away, with the Bill of Rights, is NOT the way to helping kids LEARN that information.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?
Quoting kirbymom:For what purpose? To what end?

Quoting autodidact:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Quoting kirbymom:

The Bill of Rights are the only thing between us and Anarchy. Remember this story...

The Nazi's came to take away the infirmed and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't infirmed. Then they came for the homosexual and I didn't say anything..because I wasn't one.Then the Nazi's came to take away the blacks and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't black. The Nazi's then came for the Jew and I didn't say anything because.. I wasn't one. Then they came for me and no one said anything.. because there was no one left. So, as they strip tbe rights of the honeschooler and you dob't say anything because your not homeschooling, and as they re-write history in our school system and you don't say anything because it doesn't affect you, as they demand that you wear seatbelts just to save the insurance companies money, don't be surprised when find there are no rights left to take away.
When Society as a whole, doesn't stand up and say, when rights are being tampered with, STOP! just because it doesn't affect them "at the moment", doesn't mean that at some point it won't affect them at a future date. Thus the scenario above shows that in rral time. THAT is our past. And those who don't know or remember, are doomed to repeat the past.

Kids are will or will not remember the information based on how much value has been built into KNOWING that information. And scraping/doung away, with the Bill of Rights, is NOT the way to helping kids LEARN that information.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?

Quoting autodidact:

Please excuse my typis. My phone is trying to auto-correct every word.
autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

no one's scrapping anything, it's hypothetical. 

and Common Core isn't calling for this, it's Common Core compliant. Common Core concerns itself with Language and Math, it makes no specific stipulations about Civics. 

Seat belts save lives, not just money. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No problem, I hate typing on my phone. It's hard for me to see errors, there, too, without my glasses, unless I zoom way in. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?

Quoting autodidact:

Please excuse my typis. My phone is trying to auto-correct every word.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM
This "assignment" IS from the Common Core. The assignment says it is outdated and needs revision. It also says to do away with 2 of the Amendments and add 2 of their own. THAT is very scary and is preperation for the future. Most "scenarios" start out as a hypothetical situation then tends to become real at a later date. You know the scenarios I mean...the conversations start out with..."I wonder....".
Seatbelts have also cost lives. Are those lives any less important because they are less in numbers?
Quoting autodidact:

and Common Core isn't calling for this, it's Common Core compliant. Common Core concerns itself with Language and Math, it makes no specific stipulations about Civics. 

Quoting kirbymom:Prioritizing is one thing. Scraping/doing away with is something else entirely.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM

no, it's NOT "from" Common Core, its common core compliant. 

common core doesn't provide assignments, it's standards/guidelines, and only for English and Math. 

I'm not really interested in detabing whether seat belts are some insidious facistic plot. You don't by chance read WND? 

Quoting kirbymom:

This "assignment" IS from the Common Core. The assignment says it is outdated and needs revision. It also says to do away with 2 of the Amendments and add 2 of their own. THAT is very scary and is preperation for the future. Most "scenarios" start out as a hypothetical situation then tends to become real at a later date. You know the scenarios I mean...the conversations start out with..."I wonder....".
Seatbelts have also cost lives. Are those lives any less important because they are less in numbers?
Quoting autodidact:

Quoting kirbymom:Prioritizing is one thing. Scraping/doing away with is something else entirely.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

• What are the worst?

Quoting autodidact:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN