Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sixth Graders told to "Scrap" The Bill of Rights ???

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this article and thought I should pass it on to you. Here is a link......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/common-core-assignment-makes-sixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

What do you think about this article?

undefined

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM
It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

this is a worksheet which complies with common core, which doesn't even directly address civics. 

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. 

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM

you missed my point entirely. 

Quoting kirbymom:

It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

this is a worksheet which complies with common core, which doesn't even directly address civics. 

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM
No. I do not read WND. I just do a lot of research and digging. Did you happen to read any of the artcles about this?

Quoting autodidact:

no, it's NOT "from" Common Core, its common core compliant. 

common core doesn't provide assignments, it's standards/guidelines, and only for English and Math. 

I'm not really interested in detabing whether seat belts are some insidious facistic plot. You don't by chance read WND? 

Quoting kirbymom:This "assignment" IS from the Common Core. The assignment says it is outdated and needs revision. It also says to do away with 2 of the Amendments and add 2 of their own. THAT is very scary and is preperation for the future. Most "scenarios" start out as a hypothetical situation then tends to become real at a later date. You know the scenarios I mean...the conversations start out with..."I wonder....".
Seatbelts have also cost lives. Are those lives any less important because they are less in numbers?
Quoting autodidact:

no one's scrapping anything, it's hypothetical. 

and Common Core isn't calling for this, it's Common Core compliant. Common Core concerns itself with Language and Math, it makes no specific stipulations about Civics. 

Seat belts save lives, not just money. 

Quoting kirbymom:Prioritizing is one thing. Scraping/doing away with is something else entirely.
The Bill of Rights are the only thing between us and Anarchy. Remember this story...

The Nazi's came to take away the infirmed and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't infirmed. Then they came for the homosexual and I didn't say anything..because I wasn't one.Then the Nazi's came to take away the blacks and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't black. The Nazi's then came for the Jew and I didn't say anything because.. I wasn't one. Then they came for me and no one said anything.. because there was no one left. So, as they strip tbe rights of the honeschooler and you dob't say anything because your not homeschooling, and as they re-write history in our school system and you don't say anything because it doesn't affect you, as they demand that you wear seatbelts just to save the insurance companies money, don't be surprised when find there are no rights left to take away.
When Society as a whole, doesn't stand up and say, when rights are being tampered with, STOP! just because it doesn't affect them "at the moment", doesn't mean that at some point it won't affect them at a future date. Thus the scenario above shows that in rral time. THAT is our past. And those who don't know or remember, are doomed to repeat the past.

Kids are will or will not remember the information based on how much value has been built into KNOWING that information. And scraping/doung away, with the Bill of Rights, is NOT the way to helping kids LEARN that information.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

rather than just memorize and recite or be quizzed on the content, asking kids to prioritize the freedoms discussed in the BofR makes them think about their meaning and importance 

I did something similar for Constitution Day, had my kid write an essay based on their question 

• What are the best elements of the United States Constitution?
  • What are the worst?
Quoting kirbymom:For what purpose? To what end?

Quoting autodidact:

it's a hypothetical exercise

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
You might think I did, but I assure you I didn't.
There is Nothing good or positive about Common Core and the majority of the states that went with CC did so under duress. A one size fits ALL education does not educate or work positively for the child in any way.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting kirbymom:It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

yes, as a matter of fact, I did: 

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/common-core-assignment-makes-sixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

http://eagnews.org/common-core-assignment-the-constitution-is-outdated/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359714#ixzz2gv8VWbq5 

Not a single one of them even establishes the source of the assinment or how it corresponds to CC. 

Quoting kirbymom:

No. I do not read WND. I just do a lot of research and digging. Did you happen to read any of the artcles about this?

Quoting autodidact:

no, it's NOT "from" Common Core, its common core compliant. 

common core doesn't provide assignments, it's standards/guidelines, and only for English and Math. 

I'm not really interested in detabing whether seat belts are some insidious facistic plot. You don't by chance read WND? 

Quoting kirbymom:This "assignment" IS from the Common Core. The assignment says it is outdated and needs revision. It also says to do away with 2 of the Amendments and add 2 of their own. THAT is very scary and is preperation for the future. Most "scenarios" start out as a hypothetical situation then tends to become real at a later date. You know the scenarios I mean...the conversations start out with..."I wonder....".
Seatbelts have also cost lives. Are those lives any less important because they are less in numbers?
Quoting autodidact:

no one's scrapping anything, it's hypothetical. 

and Common Core isn't calling for this, it's Common Core compliant. Common Core concerns itself with Language and Math, it makes no specific stipulations about Civics. 

Seat belts save lives, not just money. 

Quoting kirbymom:Prioritizing is one thing. Scraping/doing away with is something else entirely.
The Bill of Rights are the only thing between us and Anarchy. Remember this story...

The Nazi's came to take away the infirmed and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't infirmed. Then they came for the homosexual and I didn't say anything..because I wasn't one.Then the Nazi's came to take away the blacks and I didn't say anything.. because I wasn't black. The Nazi's then came for the Jew and I didn't say anything because.. I wasn't one. Then they came for me and no one said anything.. because there was no one left. So, as they strip tbe rights of the honeschooler and you dob't say anything because your not homeschooling, and as they re-write history in our school system and you don't say anything because it doesn't affect you, as they demand that you wear seatbelts just to save the insurance companies money, don't be surprised when find there are no rights left to take away.
When Society as a whole, doesn't stand up and say, when rights are being tampered with, STOP! just because it doesn't affect them "at the moment", doesn't mean that at some point it won't affect them at a future date. Thus the scenario above shows that in rral time. THAT is our past. And those who don't know or remember, are doomed to repeat the past.

Kids are will or will not remember the information based on how much value has been built into KNOWING that information. And scraping/doung away, with the Bill of Rights, is NOT the way to helping kids LEARN that information.

Quoting autodidact:

critical thinking 

rather than just memorize and recite or be quizzed on the content, asking kids to prioritize the freedoms discussed in the BofR makes them think about their meaning and importance 

I did something similar for Constitution Day, had my kid write an essay based on their question 

• What are the best elements of the United States Constitution?
  • What are the worst?
Quoting kirbymom:For what purpose? To what end?

Quoting autodidact:

it's a hypothetical exercise

autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

it's not one size fits all. the schools are being provided guidelines, not curricula. 

why, if CC is so "one size fits all", if this very assignment was handed down directly from the architects of CC, is there only a single location where this is being brought up? 

Quoting kirbymom:

You might think I did, but I assure you I didn't.
There is Nothing good or positive about Common Core and the majority of the states that went with CC did so under duress. A one size fits ALL education does not educate or work positively for the child in any way.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting kirbymom:It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Then you look at all possible sources of data, not just one.

Quoting romacox:

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I take it you believe in the CC as much as I don't believe in the CC?
And what do you think the word compluant means? Here is a definitio just in case...

com·pli·ant kəmˈplīənt/"adjective"**
* 1.inclined to agree with others or obey rules, esp. to an excessive degree; acquiescent."good-humored, eagerly compliant girls"synonyms:acquiescent
, amenable
,biddable
, tractable
,complaisant
, accommodating
,cooperative
; More

Those who do not "fall in" with the "guidelines" are 'handled.
Also, if it truly isn't a one size fits all then why is there a "common" denominator across the board for "every child" to do school work by? That dmacks of one size curriculum for all childten. K-12. Hence the term...one size fits all.
Quoting autodidact:

it's not one size fits all. the schools are being provided guidelines, not curricula. 

why, if CC is so "one size fits all", if this very assignment was handed down directly from the architects of CC, is there only a single location where this is being brought up? 

Quoting kirbymom:You might think I did, but I assure you I didn't.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting autodidact:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm on the flip side on this particular assignment.   I think it's a creative writing project that puts the kids in the shoes of lawmakers.

I'd do this one at home with my kids.   Getting them thinking about the "rights" and laws that this country was built on.

That doesn't mean I support everything in common core, but I find this to be a creative concept.  I doubt the children are being told they are INFACT part of this special committee, it's probably a "Suppose the government decided..." type assignment.       

No different then "Imagine you were alive back in Bethlehem when Jesus was born."     Or.. .  "Imagine you lived on the US space station..."

I think the article is specifically slanting it wrong.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

adding to my thought above...

Those of us that oppose common core, we need to realize that if we jump on every story that slants itself against common core just because it's common core.... we are going to be treated like a moaning wind that makes a lot of noise for nothing.  

We have to have discernment on which/what topics to actually confront.   Otherwise, we just seem nutty arguing about things that are not a real problem.   We need to cut to the chase and be up front about exactly what IS wrong with common core, and not try to get up in arms about everything.   That kind of negativity only gets us ignored as "extreme right wingers" or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN