Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sixth Graders told to "Scrap" The Bill of Rights ???

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this article and thought I should pass it on to you. Here is a link......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/common-core-assignment-makes-sixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

What do you think about this article?

undefined

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Replies (31-40):
autodidact
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You take it incorrectly. 

I believe in logic. 

The concept behind this worksheet did not originate with common core. 

they are standards, not one curriculum which will be used by all schools in all states. 

Have you been to the CC website

Quoting kirbymom:

I take it you believe in the CC as much as I don't believe in the CC?
And what do you think the word compluant means? Here is a definitio just in case...

com·pli·ant kəmˈplīənt/"adjective"**
* 1.inclined to agree with others or obey rules, esp. to an excessive degree; acquiescent."good-humored, eagerly compliant girls"synonyms:acquiescent
, amenable
,biddable
, tractable
,complaisant
, accommodating
,cooperative
; More

Those who do not "fall in" with the "guidelines" are 'handled.
Also, if it truly isn't a one size fits all then why is there a "common" denominator across the board for "every child" to do school work by? That dmacks of one size curriculum for all childten. K-12. Hence the term...one size fits all.
Quoting autodidact:

it's not one size fits all. the schools are being provided guidelines, not curricula. 

why, if CC is so "one size fits all", if this very assignment was handed down directly from the architects of CC, is there only a single location where this is being brought up? 

Quoting kirbymom:You might think I did, but I assure you I didn't.
There is Nothing good or positive about Common Core and the majority of the states that went with CC did so under duress. A one size fits ALL education does not educate or work positively for the child in any way.

Quoting autodidact:

you missed my point entirely. 

Quoting kirbymom:It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

this is a worksheet which complies with common core, which doesn't even directly address civics. 

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Actually I have. Several times. And I have also seen several worksheets from several different states that have "complied" to the standards. I find them to be completely worthless and dumbing down of the intellect of those students who in fact have the capability to understand school work.

Quoting autodidact:

You take it incorrectly. 

I believe in logic. 

The concept behind this worksheet did not originate with common core. 

they are standards, not one curriculum which will be used by all schools in all states. 

Have you been to the CC website

Quoting kirbymom:I take it you believe in the CC as much as I don't believe in the CC?
And what do you think the word compluant means? Here is a definitio just in case...

com·pli·ant kəmˈplīənt/"adjective"**
* 1.inclined to agree with others or obey rules, esp. to an excessive degree; acquiescent."good-humored, eagerly compliant girls"synonyms:acquiescent
, amenable
,biddable
, tractable
,complaisant
, accommodating
,cooperative
; More

Those who do not "fall in" with the "guidelines" are 'handled.
Also, if it truly isn't a one size fits all then why is there a "common" denominator across the board for "every child" to do school work by? That dmacks of one size curriculum for all childten. K-12. Hence the term...one size fits all.
Quoting autodidact:

it's not one size fits all. the schools are being provided guidelines, not curricula. 

why, if CC is so "one size fits all", if this very assignment was handed down directly from the architects of CC, is there only a single location where this is being brought up? 

Quoting kirbymom:You might think I did, but I assure you I didn't.
There is Nothing good or positive about Common Core and the majority of the states that went with CC did so under duress. A one size fits ALL education does not educate or work positively for the child in any way.

Quoting autodidact:

you missed my point entirely. 

Quoting kirbymom:It is only voluntary to get the federal money for education for each state. The states that don't comply/align with Common Core do NOT get those federal funds. Last time I checked, that isn't voluntary in and of itself. It is a forced voluntary complisnce/alignment.

Quoting autodidact:

this is a worksheet which complies with common core, which doesn't even directly address civics. 

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. 

AnnaBright
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
I saw this also and honestly I was not offended. 200+ years ago the world was a different place heck 50 yrs ago it was. I think the assignment was more critical thinking and *update* what the founding fathers had written than trying to change the way America works.
romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely.  But one must be aware of what news reporter whistle blowers are telling us:  Proof The  Establishment Media Is Controlled I witnessed this first hand when my neighborhood was fighting a politician who wished to destroy our community for his own profit.  The news would not report our documents (a letter from Admiral Mike Mullins being one of them), because the politicians told them, if you report their side, we will take our business elsewhere."...that is neither balanced, and certainly not Truth.  It was about profits.  

After two years of fighting this thug, we did win.  But we had to go door to door, and put our information online to get it out.

Now that I know that many  politicians are like this, I really do not like them controlling my children's education.  We use to have the best education in the world.  People from all over the world came here to be educated. That is when parents and teachers had more  control of the classrooms.    We have now fallen to around the middle in education.  College professors complain that the kids graduate from high school unable to do basic math or read at grade level.  In this article a teacher complains about being forced to use curriculum that does not work.  You see, when politicians are involved, they often reward their friends with the mandated school curriculum, and it has nothing to do with what is best for the kids...it is about profits, and I scratch your back if you scratch mine.  As a curriculum developer, I have watched this become worse and worse over the years.

On the other hand Finland rates number one in education.  They empower the teacher to do whatever it takes to reach each individual child.  It is not a bureaucrat mandating the curriculum. Teachers control the the curriculum they use.   

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Then you look at all possible sources of data, not just one.

Quoting romacox:

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I'm glad your neighborhood was able to protect itself from being overtaken.

Thanks for all of the links, but the heavily liberal or conservative websites have never gained my trust.  I get to see them all the time in emails from one of my buddies, and they rarely come across as unbiased.  It's fine with me for us to disagree on this btw!  :)

Finland does have a huge success rate BUT they have many things the USA cannot compete with: near zero poverty, after age 16 (I'm assuming middle school) about half of the students go to vocational school and the ones with higher scores head on to high school.  Our scores reflect every child in the USA, no matter what their background or grade level.  If we dropped those who didn't meet the criteria our scores would also improve.

As far as their teacher standards every one has a Master's Degree and only 1/8 who apply for the teaching program are selected.  Teachers are held in the highest regard and given utmost respect.  I volunteered at school the last three years, and that is definitely NOT the case here!  Last year my youngest daughter's teacher had 23 children in her classroom and no less than 10 interrupted and argued with her every single Monday, and most of the other days too according to other volunteers and the principal.  In cases like this it wouldn't matter if a teacher is given free reign in selection or not.  The children who were behaving didn't have a chance to learn when she was spending the majority of her time trying to get the others to listen.

http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3749880

It is wonderful to take lessons from the Finns, especially if we could leave behind the "No Child Left Behind" standardized testing.  Too much time is spent in the classrooms preparing for it, and we've lost a great deal of variety and what makes ps fun.

I don't expect CC to solve all of the educational needs of ps, but won't shun curriculum just because it's CC compliant.  We're using some wonderfully rich and vibrant books for math, social studies, science, etc.  I promise my children aren't missing one thing because of it, and they are enjoying a Finnish-Style longer recess, along with more art and music, than they did in ps. :)

Quoting romacox:

Absolutely.  But one must be aware of what news reporter whistle blowers are telling us:  Proof The  Establishment Media Is Controlled I witnessed this first hand when my neighborhood was fighting a politician who wished to destroy our community for his own profit.  The news would not report our documents (a letter from Admiral Mike Mullins being one of them), because the politicians told them, if you report their side, we will take our business elsewhere."...that is neither balanced, and certainly not Truth.  It was about profits.  

After two years of fighting this thug, we did win.  But we had to go door to door, and put our information online to get it out.

Now that I know that many  politicians are like this, I really do not like them controlling my children's education.  We use to have the best education in the world.  People from all over the world came here to be educated. That is when parents and teachers had more  control of the classrooms.    We have now fallen to around the middle in education.  College professors complain that the kids graduate from high school unable to do basic math or read at grade level.  In this article a teacher complains about being forced to use curriculum that does not work.  You see, when politicians are involved, they often reward their friends with the mandated school curriculum, and it has nothing to do with what is best for the kids...it is about profits, and I scratch your back if you scratch mine.  As a curriculum developer, I have watched this become worse and worse over the years.

On the other hand Finland rates number one in education.  They empower the teacher to do whatever it takes to reach each individual child.  It is not a bureaucrat mandating the curriculum. Teachers control the the curriculum they use.   

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM
TidewaterClan, do you home school your children? Are you a public school teacher?
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks for all of the links, but the heavily liberal or conservative websites have never gained my trust.  I get to see them all the time in emails from one of my buddies, and they rarely come across as unbiased.  It's fine with me for us to disagree on this btw!  :)

Finland does have a huge success rate BUT they have many things the USA cannot compete with: near zero poverty, after age 16 (I'm assuming middle school) about half of the students go to vocational school and the ones with higher scores head on to high school.  Our scores reflect every child in the USA, no matter what their background or grade level.  If we dropped those who didn't meet the criteria our scores would also improve.

As far as their teacher standards every one has a Master's Degree and only 1/8 who apply for the teaching program are selected.  Teachers are held in the highest regard and given utmost respect.  I volunteered at school the last three years, and that is definitely NOT the case here!  Last year my youngest daughter's teacher had 23 children in her classroom and no less than 10 interrupted and argued with her every single Monday, and most of the other days too according to other volunteers and the principal.  In cases like this it wouldn't matter if a teacher is given free reign in selection or not.  The children who were behaving didn't have a chance to learn when she was spending the majority of her time trying to get the others to listen.

It is wonderful to take lessons from the Finns, especially if we could leave behind the "No Child Left Behind" standardized testing.  Too much time is spent in the classrooms preparing for it, and we've lost a great deal of variety and what makes ps fun.

I don't expect CC to solve all of the educational needs of ps, but won't shun curriculum just because it's CC compliant.  We're using some wonderfully rich and vibrant books for math, social studies, science, etc.  I promise my children aren't missing one thing because of it, and they are enjoying a Finnish-Style longer recess, along with more art and music, than they did in ps. :)

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I completely agree. I lost any belief or interest once they used the term 'Educrats' as if only republicans give a hoot about education. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Our social studies is common core & has the Bill of Rights, Constitution, etc. this sounds like one school district getting out of hand.

Plus I'd have to check to see how true or distorted this is. The website swings heavily to the right, and I like to keep things in the middle.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Yes, that's why my last paragraph stated "we're using rich & vibrant curriculum" and my children have a longer recess now than they did in ps.

I've just seen how students act, firsthand, in ps and was comparing it to the respect the Finnish teachers receive. There is no comparison.

Quoting romacox:

TidewaterClan, do you home school your children? Are you a public school teacher?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Everyone in this group is working towards a better education for our children.

I'm never a fan of being told what & how to think. I'm sure that is partially what led most of us to consider homeschooling in the first place.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I completely agree. I lost any belief or interest once they used the term 'Educrats' as if only republicans give a hoot about education. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Our social studies is common core & has the Bill of Rights, Constitution, etc. this sounds like one school district getting out of hand.

Plus I'd have to check to see how true or distorted this is. The website swings heavily to the right, and I like to keep things in the middle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)