Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sixth Graders told to "Scrap" The Bill of Rights ???

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this article and thought I should pass it on to you. Here is a link......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/common-core-assignment-makes-sixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

What do you think about this article?

undefined

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Replies (41-44):
romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

TidwaterClan, a home school mom making a choice to  to use CC  without being forced is not what anyone here is  objecting to.. More power to you if CC is working for you and your children.

But to be mandated to use a curriculum that one does not like is another story entirely, and it does not matter if it is  No Child Left Behind, or CC. Many  teachers and college professors  hate both programs.

Parents and Teachers Uniting Against Common Core.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yes, that's why my last paragraph stated "we're using rich & vibrant curriculum" and my children have a longer recess now than they did in ps.

I've just seen how students act, firsthand, in ps and was comparing it to the respect the Finnish teachers receive. There is no comparison.

Quoting romacox:

TidewaterClan, do you home school your children? Are you a public school teacher?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm glad your neighborhood was able to protect itself from being overtaken.

Thanks for all of the links, but the heavily liberal or conservative websites have never gained my trust.  I get to see them all the time in emails from one of my buddies, and they rarely come across as unbiased.  It's fine with me for us to disagree on this btw!  :)

Finland does have a huge success rate BUT they have many things the USA cannot compete with: near zero poverty, after age 16 (I'm assuming middle school) about half of the students go to vocational school and the ones with higher scores head on to high school.  Our scores reflect every child in the USA, no matter what their background or grade level.  If we dropped those who didn't meet the criteria our scores would also improve.

As far as their teacher standards every one has a Master's Degree and only 1/8 who apply for the teaching program are selected.  Teachers are held in the highest regard and given utmost respect.  I volunteered at school the last three years, and that is definitely NOT the case here!  Last year my youngest daughter's teacher had 23 children in her classroom and no less than 10 interrupted and argued with her every single Monday, and most of the other days too according to other volunteers and the principal.  In cases like this it wouldn't matter if a teacher is given free reign in selection or not.  The children who were behaving didn't have a chance to learn when she was spending the majority of her time trying to get the others to listen.

http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3749880

It is wonderful to take lessons from the Finns, especially if we could leave behind the "No Child Left Behind" standardized testing.  Too much time is spent in the classrooms preparing for it, and we've lost a great deal of variety and what makes ps fun.

I don't expect CC to solve all of the educational needs of ps, but won't shun curriculum just because it's CC compliant.  We're using some wonderfully rich and vibrant books for math, social studies, science, etc.  I promise my children aren't missing one thing because of it, and they are enjoying a Finnish-Style longer recess, along with more art and music, than they did in ps. :)

Quoting romacox:

Absolutely.  But one must be aware of what news reporter whistle blowers are telling us:  Proof The  Establishment Media Is Controlled I witnessed this first hand when my neighborhood was fighting a politician who wished to destroy our community for his own profit.  The news would not report our documents (a letter from Admiral Mike Mullins being one of them), because the politicians told them, if you report their side, we will take our business elsewhere."...that is neither balanced, and certainly not Truth.  It was about profits.  

After two years of fighting this thug, we did win.  But we had to go door to door, and put our information online to get it out.

Now that I know that many  politicians are like this, I really do not like them controlling my children's education.  We use to have the best education in the world.  People from all over the world came here to be educated. That is when parents and teachers had more  control of the classrooms.    We have now fallen to around the middle in education.  College professors complain that the kids graduate from high school unable to do basic math or read at grade level.  In this article a teacher complains about being forced to use curriculum that does not work.  You see, when politicians are involved, they often reward their friends with the mandated school curriculum, and it has nothing to do with what is best for the kids...it is about profits, and I scratch your back if you scratch mine.  As a curriculum developer, I have watched this become worse and worse over the years.

On the other hand Finland rates number one in education.  They empower the teacher to do whatever it takes to reach each individual child.  It is not a bureaucrat mandating the curriculum. Teachers control the the curriculum they use.   

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Then you look at all possible sources of data, not just one.

Quoting romacox:

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Thanks Romacox. 

What would you do for the public school system to improve children's education?  I read an interesting article last night about West Virginia.  The former Superintendent of Education incorporated what he could (obviously not the zero poverty, three spoken languages, etc.) from Finland to improve schools.  The new super is following his lead.  They're investing in the teachers and listening to them as well.  That would be a huge advance here. 

The K-1 public school my girls attended had a principal who worked with teachers (even in the classrooms), let them collaborate on projects, classwork, and even asked their advice on which kindergartners would be the best fit for the 1st grade teachers.  The 2-5 school was a completely different story.  The principal mandated no math homework because he didn't want parents to interfere; he refused to listen to teachers when they stated that wasn't working.  They're not allowed to recommend class assignments for the next grade.  I'd write a book if I kept going.  It's no surprise that the first school has happier staff, teachers, students, and great parental involvement.  Teacher respect from upper staff would be a great start, and would more than likely trickle down to the students as well.

Quoting romacox:

TidwaterClan, a home school mom making a choice to  to use CC  without being forced is not what anyone here is  objecting to.. More power to you if CC is working for you and your children.

But to be mandated to use a curriculum that one does not like is another story entirely, and it does not matter if it is  No Child Left Behind, or CC. Many  teachers and college professors  hate both programs.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yes, that's why my last paragraph stated "we're using rich & vibrant curriculum" and my children have a longer recess now than they did in ps.

I've just seen how students act, firsthand, in ps and was comparing it to the respect the Finnish teachers receive. There is no comparison.

Quoting romacox:

TidewaterClan, do you home school your children? Are you a public school teacher?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks for all of the links, but the heavily liberal or conservative websites have never gained my trust.  I get to see them all the time in emails from one of my buddies, and they rarely come across as unbiased.  It's fine with me for us to disagree on this btw!  :)

Finland does have a huge success rate BUT they have many things the USA cannot compete with: near zero poverty, after age 16 (I'm assuming middle school) about half of the students go to vocational school and the ones with higher scores head on to high school.  Our scores reflect every child in the USA, no matter what their background or grade level.  If we dropped those who didn't meet the criteria our scores would also improve.

As far as their teacher standards every one has a Master's Degree and only 1/8 who apply for the teaching program are selected.  Teachers are held in the highest regard and given utmost respect.  I volunteered at school the last three years, and that is definitely NOT the case here!  Last year my youngest daughter's teacher had 23 children in her classroom and no less than 10 interrupted and argued with her every single Monday, and most of the other days too according to other volunteers and the principal.  In cases like this it wouldn't matter if a teacher is given free reign in selection or not.  The children who were behaving didn't have a chance to learn when she was spending the majority of her time trying to get the others to listen.

It is wonderful to take lessons from the Finns, especially if we could leave behind the "No Child Left Behind" standardized testing.  Too much time is spent in the classrooms preparing for it, and we've lost a great deal of variety and what makes ps fun.

I don't expect CC to solve all of the educational needs of ps, but won't shun curriculum just because it's CC compliant.  We're using some wonderfully rich and vibrant books for math, social studies, science, etc.  I promise my children aren't missing one thing because of it, and they are enjoying a Finnish-Style longer recess, along with more art and music, than they did in ps. :)

Quoting romacox:

Absolutely.  But one must be aware of what news reporter whistle blowers are telling us:  Proof The  Establishment Media Is Controlled I witnessed this first hand when my neighborhood was fighting a politician who wished to destroy our community for his own profit.  The news would not report our documents (a letter from Admiral Mike Mullins being one of them), because the politicians told them, if you report their side, we will take our business elsewhere."...that is neither balanced, and certainly not Truth.  It was about profits.  

After two years of fighting this thug, we did win.  But we had to go door to door, and put our information online to get it out.

Now that I know that many  politicians are like this, I really do not like them controlling my children's education.  We use to have the best education in the world.  People from all over the world came here to be educated. That is when parents and teachers had more  control of the classrooms.    We have now fallen to around the middle in education.  College professors complain that the kids graduate from high school unable to do basic math or read at grade level.  In this article a teacher complains about being forced to use curriculum that does not work.  You see, when politicians are involved, they often reward their friends with the mandated school curriculum, and it has nothing to do with what is best for the kids...it is about profits, and I scratch your back if you scratch mine.  As a curriculum developer, I have watched this become worse and worse over the years.

On the other hand Finland rates number one in education.  They empower the teacher to do whatever it takes to reach each individual child.  It is not a bureaucrat mandating the curriculum. Teachers control the the curriculum they use.   

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Talking about being "in the middle"...the news media talks about being ballanced.  I don't want balanced or in the middle.  I want truth. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
What would I do to improve public schools?...Mostly let teachers and parents have more control of the classrooms. Get the bureaucrats out of the equation.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks Romacox. 

What would you do for the public school system to improve children's education?  I read an interesting article last night about West Virginia.  The former Superintendent of Education incorporated what he could (obviously not the zero poverty, three spoken languages, etc.) from Finland to improve schools.  The new super is following his lead.  They're investing in the teachers and listening to them as well.  That would be a huge advance here. 

The K-1 public school my girls attended had a principal who worked with teachers (even in the classrooms), let them collaborate on projects, classwork, and even asked their advice on which kindergartners would be the best fit for the 1st grade teachers.  The 2-5 school was a completely different story.  The principal mandated no math homework because he didn't want parents to interfere; he refused to listen to teachers when they stated that wasn't working.  They're not allowed to recommend class assignments for the next grade.  I'd write a book if I kept going.  It's no surprise that the first school has happier staff, teachers, students, and great parental involvement.  Teacher respect from upper staff would be a great start, and would more than likely trickle down to the students as well.

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Last year's math program certainly would have been so much better if the teachers or parents had been given a voice.

Quoting romacox:

What would I do to improve public schools?...Mostly let teachers and parents have more control of the classrooms. Get the bureaucrats out of the equation.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks Romacox. 

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting romacox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)