Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum question!

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 22 Replies

What do you use?

I have been told about A Beka, Tapestry of Grace, Apologia, MathUSee... My head is spinning! We were loaned some books to get started. (I pulled her out of public school while she was in 6th, but she is doing 7th grade work) They are all A Beka. She doesn't have math yet, so we are doing MathUSee worksheets and finding other things that are grade appropriate for her. I want to know what you use and why you like it! And also some cons if you have them!

I am going to be homeschooling all 4 of my children. 12, 3 (almost 4), 2 and 5 months. So, I am going to have several grades going at once in a few years.

Thanks in advance ladies!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We don't use any curriculum but here is a bump for you!

summerbear
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Quoting usmom3:

How does that work?! *genuinely interested*

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Any chance there is a homeschool Expo in your area?  They're usually in the summer but might be worth checking.  I'm lucky to have one near me and have gone for 3 yrs now and it really helps to get an understand of what's out there and what's being said about it.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:39 PM

We learn from everything around us. We use books but not textbooks, the internet is full of educational sites & most are free to use. We use educational TV, board games & video games.

My goal with my children education is not to fill them with facts & information but to have them learn how to pursue knowledge that they need to accomplish the things they want to do.

Quoting summerbear:

Quoting usmom3:

How does that work?! *genuinely interested*

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I've always heard good things about RightStart Math so that's what we're using.  It's abacus based which I think is an advantage for those who might struggle with math.  It's also very game based, making it more fun than just another worksheet.  However, it only goes up to Algebra....so, it might not work well for you daughter but would work well with the other kids.  The benefit of the games is that they could all play them together.  I've been told that Saxon math is the way to go after RightStart Math at several expo conferences. 

summerbear
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

There is one in Orlando, but that is still several months away! I want to know what works for "real" moms. I don't want the companies telling me, I want to know from the actual people who are using them and what their experiences are. Pros and cons.

With that said, I am still planning on attending the convention this summer.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Any chance there is a homeschool Expo in your area?  They're usually in the summer but might be worth checking.  I'm lucky to have one near me and have gone for 3 yrs now and it really helps to get an understand of what's out there and what's being said about it.

summerbear
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Thank you!! <3

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I've always heard good things about RightStart Math so that's what we're using.  It's abacus based which I think is an advantage for those who might struggle with math.  It's also very game based, making it more fun than just another worksheet.  However, it only goes up to Algebra....so, it might not work well for you daughter but would work well with the other kids.  The benefit of the games is that they could all play them together.  I've been told that Saxon math is the way to go after RightStart Math at several expo conferences. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM
No bought curriculum here. I write out all the curriclum by hand. I will use whatevet I need that pertains to the lesson(s)..
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well, everything you listed is protestant. We're Catholic and our choices reflect that.

When my eldest was home (grade 7, age 12) she used the following (she wasn't home for much of grade 7):

Religion: Seton Press

History: Light to the Nations volume 1 (Catholic School Textbook Project)

Math: Math Mammoth - was going to filter into Jacob's Algebra when she finished last year's Math Mammoth

Geography: Runkle's World Physical Geography

Grammar: English 7 for Young Catholics (Seton Press)

Spelling: Apples and Pears (dyslexic)

Vocabulary: Marie's Words

various literature

I am currently homeschooling my 4 year old, who is doing kindergarten this year using:

Phonics Pathways

Little Stories for Little Folks (Catholic Heritage Curriculum)

Seton's Kindergarten Catechism

Image of God, pre-k/kindergarten

Seton's Kindergarten Handwriting for Young Catholics

Making Music, Praying Twice

Kumon books for cutting, etc

Miquon Math

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN