Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i have a question

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

i was seriously considering homeschooling my four kids next year, they are 7,6,4 and 3.  a good friend of mine that homeschooled her kids (her kids are my age) did so in a homeschooling group so she was not alone.. i was not and will not consider this but she very much discouraged me saying that even SHE would not be able to homeschool all 4 kids with that age range.  my 2 older are in public school right now.. we just had parent teacher conferences and the teacher for my oldest said that she is already testing at the next grade level. my friend said that if the kids are doing well then there is no point of taking them out to homeschool but that was never my concern.  i dont know what i want to do next year.... i need suggestions... oh and i was looking into sonlight curriculum so i could group my 2 oldest and my 2 youngest together so i would only be teaching 2 grade levels...

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Your kids and my kids are the same age. I love the look of sonlight but have never been able to afford it.

We use several different things. If your kids are each at the same level I would teach them the way you were thinking. With multiple kids the thing that will make it easier on you is grouping as much as possible. I would teach them all the exact same history and science and group with math and reading the other way. Though I am not sure that would work with sonlight.

my kids are all over the board so reading and math are done individually and we all do science and history together. My 7 year old is taking spanish in co-op so she has homework and study practice on that as well.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I have 10, 9, 7, 6, and 5 (well, next week that's what he'll be!).  I do a lot of things together, and separate out math and some language arts, though mainly just the reading portion.  It's doable.  If this is something you want, you'll find your way.

jurbi
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I would definitely group science and history together, I would use BJU math.. My 1st grader is awesome at math but my 2nd grader not so much and BJU seems like a harder math so I would use 2nd grade for next year when they are 2nd and 3rd. Language arts and reading would be the only things I would have to do differently. I'm so up in the air with what I want to do. I hate sending them to school everyday and letting teachers basically raise them for 8 hours a day, then only having a couple hours to spend with them and teach them the things I want to teach them before they go to bed..
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

They are so little, you just teach all the fun stuff together (bible, art, history, science)..   Teach it to the age of your older two and make up coloring sheets and a busy box for the little ones to do while they sit and listen.

Then, have a seperate english and math for your older two, and a session on letters, numbers, patterns, etc... for your littles.

Do a calendar board that is interactive with a variety of activities that fit for their age ranges (pinterest has some terrific ones)

Your friend is nuts.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

In public schools 6 and7 year olds are often in the same class. Grouping them as you planned shouldn't be a problem at all. You might have to do things individually if one child is very ahead than the other but if that is the case it wouldn't be for everything just for a certain subject or activity(like reading or math). If this is what you want to do don't let someone else creat doubt or rain on your plans. In all honesty you won't know exactly how it will be until you try!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Actually, it would be fairly easy to homeschool that mix because the two sets of children are so close in age. My only concern would making sure you individualize the skill core subjects (math and language arts) - don't combine those, especially if your eldest is advanced.

What are your reasons for homeschooling? I will say that, in general, I'm not a fan of pulling children from any working school environment, assuming they are happy, doing well academically, are safe, and you haven't any qualms with the religious or philosophical agendas in the mix (i.e. if you like what is taught and how it is taught).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jurbi
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Actually, it would be fairly easy to homeschool that mix because the two sets of children are so close in age. My only concern would making sure you individualize the skill core subjects (math and language arts) - don't combine those, especially if your eldest is advanced.

What are your reasons for homeschooling? I will say that, in general, I'm not a fan of pulling children from any working school environment, assuming they are happy, doing well academically, are safe, and you haven't any qualms with the religious or philosophical agendas in the mix (i.e. if you like what is taught and how it is taught).

My 6 year old is advanced in math, my 7 year old is not so that is why I thought to have the same grade math..I have a handful of reasons why I want to homeschool.. I want to be the one that instills right from wrong, morals, also teach bible, and character qualities.. I know tht this can all be taught after school but as I said before, they are gone for 8 hours of the day. That leaves me very little time to actually parent them..my parents didn't parent me. They fed me, clothed me and sent me to school but tht was the extent if it.. I feel like I could be a better parent if I had more time with them.
jurbi
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Quoting Molimomma:

In public schools 6 and7 year olds are often in the same class. Grouping them as you planned shouldn't be a problem at all. You might have to do things individually if one child is very ahead than the other but if that is the case it wouldn't be for everything just for a certain subject or activity(like reading or math). If this is what you want to do don't let someone else creat doubt or rain on your plans. In all honesty you won't know exactly how it will be until you try!

We were thinking of trying it over summer break that way if it doesn't work and I have to put them back in school nothing would be lost.. I don't know if my desire and my ability to homeschool are the same...the desire is definitely there, but I don't know if I can handle it until I try..(I love doing their homework with them)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Sweety, if you want to homeschool, then you go right on and homeschool your kids! Don't let your friend dissuade you based on her experience. Homeschooling is not as difficult as it seems at first. It just takes love, determination and a willingness to think and do outside the box if necessary. As for being able to do different grades, it is definitely doable. I have a prek/k - highschool. We do school together and independantly.
If you want to do this, you can. You are. The sky is the limit. You can do anything you set you mind and heart to. If our kids can do this, so can we. :)
*Hugs*
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm so sorry that your "friend" is discouraging you.  You can definately homeschool 4 kids.  I do 3 that are 8, 6, and 4.  Group some subjects together and find the right curriculum to fit your teaching style and their learning styles.  Don't let others discourage you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN