Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i was seriously considering homeschooling my four kids next year, they are 7,6,4 and 3.  a good friend of mine that homeschooled her kids (her kids are my age) did so in a homeschooling group so she was not alone.. i was not and will not consider this but she very much discouraged me saying that even SHE would not be able to homeschool all 4 kids with that age range.  my 2 older are in public school right now.. we just had parent teacher conferences and the teacher for my oldest said that she is already testing at the next grade level. my friend said that if the kids are doing well then there is no point of taking them out to homeschool but that was never my concern.  i dont know what i want to do next year.... i need suggestions... oh and i was looking into sonlight curriculum so i could group my 2 oldest and my 2 youngest together so i would only be teaching 2 grade levels...

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Replies (11-17):
JadeTigr7
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I have five kids, and I'll have the older four doing school this year.  My kids are 9, almost 8, almost 6, 4 and 7 1/2 months old.  You'll be fine!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We combine some of the core subjects, too.  Not always, mind you, but my 9 yr old son participates in some of my 11 yr old's pre algebra warm ups and then they both get a few 4th grade analogy warm ups.   Then they might do some flashcards to keep our facts sharp in our minds...  we can do a whole day or two combining our math before going back to their regular curriculum.

Same is true of English, Grammar, and Literature.   I blend their curriculum up and teach it together.   They pay attention more, learn more, etc... when they are together.

Again, though, I do HAVE grade appropriate work in these subjects, too.   We are still using old curriculum from last year that is 5th grade (a grade below my daughter) to do some things even.

I think it matters more when they are high school age and you have to keep a transcript with credit hours and such.   However, I'm hoping they can be more independent by then.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Actually, it would be fairly easy to homeschool that mix because the two sets of children are so close in age. My only concern would making sure you individualize the skill core subjects (math and language arts) - don't combine those, especially if your eldest is advanced.

What are your reasons for homeschooling? I will say that, in general, I'm not a fan of pulling children from any working school environment, assuming they are happy, doing well academically, are safe, and you haven't any qualms with the religious or philosophical agendas in the mix (i.e. if you like what is taught and how it is taught).

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My 14yo and 8yo are taught science and history together too. It just makes more sense that way.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Your kids and my kids are the same age. I love the look of sonlight but have never been able to afford it.

We use several different things. If your kids are each at the same level I would teach them the way you were thinking. With multiple kids the thing that will make it easier on you is grouping as much as possible. I would teach them all the exact same history and science and group with math and reading the other way. Though I am not sure that would work with sonlight.

my kids are all over the board so reading and math are done individually and we all do science and history together. My 7 year old is taking spanish in co-op so she has homework and study practice on that as well.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Just remember one thing - no 2 families or family dynamics are the same. I, personally would jump off a bridge if I were Michelle Duggar home educating 19 kids. But that doesn't mean SHE can't do it. We belong to a co-op, but didn't for the first 7 years of homeschooling. I, personally, love it. But it only makes up about 10% of our homeschooling. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Remember, though, if you are using the summer as a "trial" period... keep in mind these variables to how the summer might go vs. how the rest of it goes.

First, your kids are pretty little, so expect ANY routine (even one that's been put in place for years) to be interrupted constantly with young ones.   And you are starting something new.   It really will take longer than the summer time to get things how you want them with such a young crowd.   Don't expect your homeschool to run like a first or second grade classroom.   You will have so many little people around that need such a variety of things from you.   Life when they are that small is about character traits and just learning to enjoy and love learning.

Second, it usually takes us a year or two just to find out what works best for ourselves and our family.  One summer won't be enough time for you to judge how it's working, really.   I've been homeschooling for four years and I am still working out kinks.

Third, your older two will need/or want a break after school before you start and they might not want to participate much during the summer, which can cause frustration.   Don't forget to enjoy the summer!   They also might miss things about school and that alone can cause second guessing.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is I really don't think a summer is enough to judge... but that's from my own personal experience.   If I had set a goal of 2-3 months to see how things go, I would most likely NOT be homeschooling.

Quoting jurbi:

Quoting Molimomma:

In public schools 6 and7 year olds are often in the same class. Grouping them as you planned shouldn't be a problem at all. You might have to do things individually if one child is very ahead than the other but if that is the case it wouldn't be for everything just for a certain subject or activity(like reading or math). If this is what you want to do don't let someone else creat doubt or rain on your plans. In all honesty you won't know exactly how it will be until you try!

We were thinking of trying it over summer break that way if it doesn't work and I have to put them back in school nothing would be lost.. I don't know if my desire and my ability to homeschool are the same...the desire is definitely there, but I don't know if I can handle it until I try..(I love doing their homework with them)

Momof697
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

my youngest just turned 8 and is in the 3rd grade my oldest is 15 and none of my kids have ever gone to PS. I do Science social studies and Bible together with all 4 grades. only their math and LA are separate. BTW I have 5 kids home. I have a SS who only went to PS but he is 20 now.

I have never used Sonlight I am an eclectic homeschooler meaning I find the program for the subject that fits each kid. For instance My 13 yo son is a kinesthetic learner (his hands have to be involved) where his younger sister who just  turned 12 yesterday is a book learner give her a book and she will learn what ever is in it and do it without being told.    their math programs will not work for each other. 

I think you have to decide what your goals are for HSing and then decide how you are going to get there. and then as long as you keep your goals in mind you will hit your mark. 

energygirl
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

my kids are 3, 5 and 7 and we are using Sonlight (I bought most of it used from a friend, then order the extra workbooks as needed). I love it...and our 3 year old joins us for most of it.  All I order is the individual math workbooks.  I like being able to teach the kids some subjects together, and it is not hard to balance 3 kids for me (on most days :)  Don't let your friend talk you out of homeschooling, just because she thinks it wouldn't work for her, doesn't mean it won't for you. There are a lot of curriculums out there that work to teach multiple ages together.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)