Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mama is a nervous wreck. OT - not hs related, lol.

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

Red has a campus camp out on Friday night at the school. It's going to be COLD - like 30 at its lowest. We are not camping people, lol. We are suburban - lovers of electricity, central heat and air, and working toilets.

The school has a tent for her, and we have a sub-zero sleeping bag for her to use, but beyond that, what are some necessities for camping in that weather? I'm thinking I'll stop at Academy Sports and find her some thermal pajamas/underwear and insulated/thermal socks. A good hat too.

*le sigh*

I keep trying to find a way to not let her go, but all the boys are going and she wants to see them outside of school... they always have a blast at the camp outs... stay up ridiculously late, roast marshmallows, scare the teachers/chaperones late at night, bonfires, etc... but it's going to be so COLD. Gah.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's cub scout pack is having a campout this weekend too. We decided a few days ago not to go because the low is going to be 32 degrees. 

However, before we decided to skip the overnight part (we are still going for all the daytime/evening activities, just driving home to our warm beds for sleep! Oh and flushing toilets!), I looked into how to make it safer. Because really at 32 it's about staying alive, not just being comfortable! Air mattresses can be both good and bad - good because you are off the cold ground, bad because the air inside gets cold. So you can put something, like a pad, under an air mattress, then put another barrier, like a thick blanket, on top of it, then your sleeping bag, to insulate yourself from the ground and the cold air. 

Also, hot water bottles! They are inexpensive and if they'll be having a camp stove/means to heat water, she can fill this, stick in her sleeping bag awhile before she goes to bed, and then sleep with it in there. Should raise the interior temp of the sleeping bag by a few degrees, at least.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
The hunting department would be a great place to shop. They sell snapheat packs that are reusable. You may be able to find electric socks too.

We go camping often during the spring, summer, & early fall but never when it's in the 30s! Best wishes for her to stay warm & safe. It sounds like she'll be active most of the night anyhow. :)
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM

So we went to Mesa Verde the last weekend in September to beat the gov't shutdown.  The low that weekend was 27.  The following weekend would have been nicer, but the park was shut.  If you've got a good sleeping bag, I wouldn't worry about the hot water bottle.  BUT, the long johns/pj are a great idea.  I slept with long johns and fleece pjs.  I also had a hat.  VERY important.  Especially one that fits.  Mine kept coming off in the middle of the night, and that wakes you up.  :(  Remind her, too, that she should change clothes to sleep in, including socks.  Give her special socks to wear at night.  Not special, just not her daytime socks.  You don't want to wear socks that have absorbed your sweat during the day because they'll get cold at night.  I slept on a pad and my sleeping bag.  Everything that was covered by my sleeping bag was toasty warm.  If that zipper came undone (as it did when I would check on my kiddos), that was painful.  Also, she might want to sleep with her coat/jacket in her bag so it won't be so cold in the morning.  I kept my long johns on the following day until it started getting warm, though I did change out of my pjs.  My kids did not.  :)  Oh--a hat that fits....check out balaclavas.  Though she doesn't want it covering her mouth and nose at night, but she can tuck it just under her chin.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I would take a very durable flashlight! Then I would take a thermal mug and lots and lots of Hot Chocolate!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM

She'll have a blast!!  We go camping at the beginning of fishing season, sometmes wake up with snow on us LOL!  She will be fine.  I know how worrying it can be, but she will have so much fun!  Just get her some really warm clothes/ and camping equipment.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
It will be fun. Kids don't even know when it's cold. Lol! How old is she?
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Bump! I need ideas too,lol. We're planning a camping trip too.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

So I just took her to Target to find some cold weather "gear". I purchased:

thermal underwear

fleece slipper socks (she's allergic to wool)

a new pack of LED flashilights

toothbrushes that can be used without water/rinsing

warm gloves

I'm packing from home:

warm, sub-zero sleeping bag

mat for under sleeping bag

fleece blanket

pillow

Sound okay? They have a tent for her to use, since she'll be the only solo camper I think.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

She'll be fine. 32 degrees is totally survivable. Get those pocket warmers from the gas station. She can crack them to keep her hands warm in her pockets or put them at the bottom of her sleeping bag to keep her feet warm. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN