Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (121-130):
SiennaSkye
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sure I am not posting in the right area, but I need to learn the site. In any event, can anyone offer tips on socializing children? In other words, what kid of asocial ctivities do homeschooling parents find to do with their children.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Hi Sienna. Welcome to the group. :)
My name is Sonja. How many kids do you have? I have seven. I used to worry about "socializing" my kids since I homeschool but, I needn't have worried. We parents have been mistakenly told that kids learn how to socialize from other kids but that simply isn't true. Our kids are learning how to socialize from us from the moment they are born. Then, they are learning from other family members and other close friends. They are also learning when we take them with us to the grocery store, the gas station, the library, those time when we stop at yard sales or flea markets. When we go over to a friends for parties or playdates. However, kids do not learn how to correctly socialize from other kids their age. How could a child learn from another child the correct way to behave socially when neither of the children know how to socially behave? YOU are your child's best example and the best way to provide the means as well.
Now, as for social activities, your child(ren) can join local sports teams, local reading groups, maybe a science project with a local co-op. If your community has a 4h group, you could join. Is there a particular direction you are wanting to go in?

Quoting SiennaSkye:

I am sure I am not posting in the right area, but I need to learn the site. In any event, can anyone offer tips on socializing children? In other words, what kid of asocial ctivities do homeschooling parents find to do with their children.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Hi again Sienna. :)
Just wanted to say Welcome again. I didn't see this post first or I would have made your first welcome here.
I also think it is pretty cool that you write a book about your experience in teaching your little. That must be exciting to see that in black and white. Did I read correctly that you are writing another book?

Quoting SiennaSkye:

Hello All,

I am Sienna and I look forward to "chatting it up" with everyone. To continue with in the spirit of introduction, here are some tidbits about me:

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

I have two children. I homeschool one at the moment.

2. How long  have you been homeschooling? 

For almost three years.

3. The type of homeschooling I do  is pretty flexible in that I have a preschooler and a toddler. I teach them three to four times a week from the Christian children's books that I write. I used to be an elementary teacher so I have inside knowledge on what to do (lol). My four year old started reading around three and is still building her vocabulary. Currently, I am publishing another book to help teach my kids.  If anyone here is interested, you all can find my book on amazon titled, How to Prepare My Child for Pre-Kindergarten: English Language Arts and Math (I published under the psuedonym, Taylor Wyatt). In short, I am pretty structured in what I teach them because I am following the Common Core Curriculum, but I am also flexible in that I incorporate much art and exploration in the studies.

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

Anything outdoors, painting, and making my husband and I sleep-deprived.

CreativeTeachR
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool? 3

2. How long  have you been homeschooling? 3 yrs

3. What type of home schooling do you do? Ministry School

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy? Outdoors, Drawing, Music

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Hi CreativeTeacheR! Welcome! :)

If I may ask, what kind of ministry schooling do you teach? Sounds interesting. My hubby is a Bishop in our faith and he used to be a pastor as well.

Quoting CreativeTeachR:

undefined

CreativeTeachR
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi , nice to meet you, i am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, i teach homeschool and also  the bible to my kids at home, we attend theocratic ministry school at our hall.  I go out and teach adults the bible also.  Been very busy . With teaching the bible ,i have to say has been the most creative and most fun . We bring it to life this way.

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi CreativeTeacheR! Welcome! :)

If I may ask, what kind of ministry schooling do you teach? Sounds interesting. My hubby is a Bishop in our faith and he used to be a pastor as well.

Quoting CreativeTeachR:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
That is interesting. What is your favorite class in school? How long are your classes?

Quoting CreativeTeachR:

Hi , nice to meet you, i am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, i teach homeschool and also  the bible to my kids at home, we attend theocratic ministry school at our hall.  I go out and teach adults the bible also.  Been very busy . With teaching the bible ,i have to say has been the most creative and most fun . We bring it to life this way.

Quoting kirbymom:Hi CreativeTeacheR! Welcome! :)

Quoting CreativeTeachR:

SiennaSkye
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Hi Kirby's Mom!

How are you?  Thank you for welcoming me to the group.

Thank you for your encouraging post.  I agree with everything you stated. When I taught elementary school (I am in Louisiana) children literally have 15 minutes for recess and then they have twenty minutes of silent lunch. Now, there is the common core curriculum that have teachers in a frenzy, and confused--that coupled with misbehaved children and the small amount of recess is literally unappealing and I do not want to put my two babies through that. When I discussed homeschooling with my in-laws, they conveniently forget I am a certified teacher and tell me that my kids will miss out on socialization and that they need to learn from a certified teacher (and that is when I remind them of my degrees and experience while restraining myself from saying something they will regret). Truth is, school does not offer children time to socialize either--in fact, they learn bad habits and horrible attitudes from so many other horrid people. Teaching in an urban setting really made me want to homeschool and even moreso, the plethora of disruptive children has not dwindled over years, but instead increased--I refuse to have my kids miss out on important information.  I apologize for my rant--

Thank you for your suggestions and again, your encouraging words.

As far as the children's books, I do write them.  I started writing for my own children and then I kind of just went with the flow since I also  do illustrations :).  So far, I have written and published a pre-k series for english and mathematics. Since I opted to teach college English at night, I also have a book regarding essay writing--I try to stay busy.  In any event, I am happy to share what I have, but unfortunately there is no way for me to upload here--however, I do post things on my blog: twyatt.blogspot.com and I can place some lessons there if you are interested.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Bests

SiennaSkye
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

@Kirby's Mom I am sorry, I just saw your name! Hi Sonja!!! Nice to meet you :)

Also, I failed to answer, but yep, I am writing more children's books to teach fundamental standards. The books will cover grades Pre-K through Fifth, and essay writing (elementary through college).

Bests-

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol
No worried. :)
I think that is wonderful that you are doing that. Now, are you basing your book on your own personal experiences with homeschooling?

Quoting SiennaSkye:

@Kirby's Mom I am sorry, I just saw your name! Hi Sonja!!! Nice to meet you :)

Also, I failed to answer, but yep, I am writing more children's books to teach fundamental standards. The books will cover grades Pre-K through Fifth, and essay writing (elementary through college).

Bests-

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)