Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
dizzy91
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Wow! I aplaud you for starting so early. I kinda stumbled my way into homeschooling. My advice to you is just doing what you're doing. Learn about different methods and keep an open mind. I swore we we do homeschooling like this, this and this. Life didn't hppen that way,lol. 

Oh and btw, do you know what you're having?

No idea what we're having yet! I'll get an ultrasound in about weeks. We're excited to find out and see the baby, though. We'll see it a week before Christmas. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Wow! That's great!

Quoting dizzy91:

Quoting mem82:

Welcome! It's never too early to start planning. What type of curriculum did your fiance use when he homeschooled?

He had no curriculum. He absolutely refused to do anything. When he was younger, they did basic stuff. He always passed the end of the year tests anyway. So, when he got older, it was just, "Do you know what this is? Yeah? Okay. You're good." That being said, he is VERY interested in learning about so many things. He'll spend hours on the computer reading about topics that interest him. He knows a lot of little facts, so that's probably why it worked out that way.

We already know we can't do it that way with our child (nor do I want to). It's just nice that he was homeschooled, because his mom knows all the processes, people, etc.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting dizzy91:

Quoting paganbaby:

Wow! I aplaud you for starting so early. I kinda stumbled my way into homeschooling. My advice to you is just doing what you're doing. Learn about different methods and keep an open mind. I swore we we do homeschooling like this, this and this. Life didn't hppen that way,lol. 

Oh and btw, do you know what you're having?

No idea what we're having yet! I'll get an ultrasound in about weeks. We're excited to find out and see the baby, though. We'll see it a week before Christmas. 

How exciting! It's like an early Christmas present,lol. You totally have to tell us when you know. Do you have a feeling what the baby will be? I didn't find out what I was having with dd until I was 8 1/2 months along. I had a funny feeling she was a girl though.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

You must be so proud of them! Can I ask why they were homeschooled at those times? I get funny looks when I tell people my ds was hsed from 1st on, dd I just pulled out in 8th and my youngest is still in public and going strong.

My ds will be the one I keep through high school too ;-)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I homeschooled my younger dd (now 17) from 3rd to 8th grade.  My oldest (now almost 20) only homeschooled for 8th grade.  Both girls chose to attend public high school (but keep in mind we live in NYC where they get to choose from hundreds of different high schools).  Oldest chose one for journalism, as she was/is a fantastic writer.  Youngest dd chose (and was accepted to) the famous NYC performing arts high school because she's a dancer and wanted to be in the best school.  Ds started homeschooling in Kindergarten and will more than likely choose to continue through high school (yay).  

Quoting paganbaby:

I was just going to ask why you're only hsing your youngest then I saw your kid's ages,lol. Did you homeschool your older two when they were younger?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Hi, I'm Angela

I have 3 kids and I'm currently homeschooling only my youngest

Since January 31, 2005

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

Relaxed, eclectic, and child-led

My oldest dd is working hard and saving for a car.   My youngest dd is a dancer who goes to a performing arts high school and just started doing professional gigs.  Ds is very into computers and mixed martial arts.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Quoting dizzy91:

Quoting mem82:

Welcome! It's never too early to start planning. What type of curriculum did your fiance use when he homeschooled?

He had no curriculum. He absolutely refused to do anything. When he was younger, they did basic stuff. He always passed the end of the year tests anyway. So, when he got older, it was just, "Do you know what this is? Yeah? Okay. You're good." That being said, he is VERY interested in learning about so many things. He'll spend hours on the computer reading about topics that interest him. He knows a lot of little facts, so that's probably why it worked out that way. We already know we can't do it that way with our child (nor do I want to). It's just nice that he was homeschooled, because his mom knows all the processes, people, etc.

Sounds like he unschooled himself,lol.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I am very proud of my kids.  I started homeschooling my younger dd when she was in 3rd grade.  She was incredibly precocious (taught herself to read and write before she turned 3) and was so bored in school.  She was fidgety and outgoing (i.e. chatty, lol) and the work was really easy.   In first grade she tested into a gifted academy and started there in 2nd grade.  After a year-and-a-half she had lost her love and enjoyment of learning and was really just going through the motions (this indifference really began in Kindergarten).  I gave her option to homeschool (I had been researching it for a couple of years).  She thought about it for 2 weeks and then made the decision that she was ready to try it.   It was an amazing and wonderful 5 1/2 years of homeschooling.

At this time, ds was in 1/2 day nursery and then pre-K.  By the time Kindy came along, his sister had already been home a year.   I asked him if he'd like to homeschool, too.  It was going so well for us that I knew he would love it - and he did.  Oldest dd had just started 8th grade at this time and was hating it.  The middle school girls were terrible bullies and made her upset every day (and she was one of the popular kids).  She said her friends were all 2-faced and nasty and she was done.  She begged to homeschool.  After many discussions over Columbus Day weekend we decided she could homeschool as well.  She had every intention of this being only 1 year.  

But it was the best year of my life with all 3 kids home!

Quoting paganbaby:

You must be so proud of them! Can I ask why they were homeschooled at those times? I get funny looks when I tell people my ds was hsed from 1st on, dd I just pulled out in 8th and my youngest is still in public and going strong.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I homeschooled my younger dd (now 17) from 3rd to 8th grade.  My oldest (now almost 20) only homeschooled for 8th grade.  Both girls chose to attend public high school (but keep in mind we live in NYC where they get to choose from hundreds of different high schools).  Oldest chose one for journalism, as she was/is a fantastic writer.  Youngest dd chose (and was accepted to) the famous NYC performing arts high school because she's a dancer and wanted to be in the best school.  Ds started homeschooling in Kindergarten and will more than likely choose to continue through high school (yay).  

Quoting paganbaby:

I was just going to ask why you're only hsing your youngest then I saw your kid's ages,lol. Did you homeschool your older two when they were younger?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Hi, I'm Angela

Since January 31, 2005

My oldest dd is working hard and saving for a car.   My youngest dd is a dancer who goes to a performing arts high school and just started doing professional gigs.  Ds is very into computers and mixed martial arts.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Those are all great reasons!

You know, I didn't know if I could do it, I just looked at my children who were struggling and saw no other way. You follow their lead, keep it fun and know you don't have to keep to anyone's schedule but your own.

My best piece of advice is this. As long as their progressing, you're doing it right. Your dd may be ahead or behind compared to little Susie down the street but in reality, she's right where she needs to be.

Also, don't be afraid to switch it and try new things. There are many veteran homeschoolers out there who still haven't found "the right" curriculum. This may work for math but not for reading, ect. I myself Frankenstein it. We do reading from any books he likes, spelling is naturally learned from reading. Grammar is this online computer game. Science comes from Netflix, the library and this awesome books of science experiments. Writing is notes and letters. And math is from a workbook. Although we're switching it up toady by going to the cemetery for some math,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Hi I'm new sort of (been randomly browsing cafe mom since October 2010 but recently started really getting into all the groups and things) I have a beautiful two year old daughter (birthday October 5th 2011) I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my daughter when she's ready for school

My reasonings are the usual I assume. I like the one on one teaching feel it's a good idea as far as the best education for her. I was homeschooled as a child until 5th grade actually skipped to 6th when I was placed in public school. When I was in 6th grade many of my classmates already smoked/chewed one was pregnant and many others already drank I'd rather not expose DD to that. And then there's all the violence that seems to occur in school systems these days.

I was curious how did you know you had it in you to be a good teacher? My mom was a great teacher my aunt on the other hand was not. When her kids went to school many still couldn't read one in 5th grade at the time she has since caught up and loves to read thankfully. Due to that this though I worry if I can be as good a teacher as my mother was I know I'd be doing what is best for my daughter but the last thing I want to do is let her down. So how did you know you could do it? How did you start? What sort of teaching styles are there? I have soooo many question

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I love how all of that came together!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I am very proud of my kids.  I started homeschooling my younger dd when she was in 3rd grade.  She was incredibly precocious (taught herself to read and write before she turned 3) and was so bored in school.  She was fidgety and outgoing (i.e. chatty, lol) and the work was really easy.   In first grade she tested into a gifted academy and started there in 2nd grade.  After a year-and-a-half she had lost her love and enjoyment of learning and was really just going through the motions (this indifference really began in Kindergarten).  I gave her option to homeschool (I had been researching it for a couple of years).  She thought about it for 2 weeks and then made the decision that she was ready to try it.   It was an amazing and wonderful 5 1/2 years of homeschooling.

At this time, ds was in 1/2 day nursery and then pre-K.  By the time Kindy came along, his sister had already been home a year.   I asked him if he'd like to homeschool, too.  It was going so well for us that I knew he would love it - and he did.  Oldest dd had just started 8th grade at this time and was hating it.  The middle school girls were terrible bullies and made her upset every day (and she was one of the popular kids).  She said her friends were all 2-faced and nasty and she was done.  She begged to homeschool.  After many discussions over Columbus Day weekend we decided she could homeschool as well.  She had every intention of this being only 1 year.  

But it was the best year of my life with all 3 kids home!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Hi, I'm Angela

Since January 31, 2005

MrsSumner3
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM
That sounds great and really gives me confidence that I can do this ;) the nearest library is bout 40 minutes away and it's quite pricey to get a card if your not in the county but I have fronds that are maybe I can work something out if not just have to pay for it I suppose I love reading and am trying to foster a love of reading in my daughter so far seems to be working

Might I ask how your doing math in the cemetery? Sounds interesting...I'm guessing it has something to do with dates on the tombstones?

Quoting paganbaby:

You know, I didn't know if I could do it, I just looked at my children who were struggling and saw no other way. You follow their lead, keep it fun and know you don't have to keep to anyone's schedule but your own.

My best piece of advice is this. As long as their progressing, you're doing it right. Your dd may be ahead or behind compared to little Susie down the street but in reality, she's right where she needs to be.

Also, don't be afraid to switch it and try new things. There are many veteran homeschoolers out there who still haven't found "the right" curriculum. This may work for math but not for reading, ect. I myself Frankenstein it. We do reading from any books he likes, spelling is naturally learned from reading. Grammar is this online computer game. Science comes from Netflix, the library and this awesome books of science experiments. Writing is notes and letters. And math is from a workbook. Although we're switching it up toady by going to the cemetery for some math,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Hi I'm new sort of (been randomly browsing cafe mom since October 2010 but recently started really getting into all the groups and things) I have a beautiful two year old daughter (birthday October 5th 2011) I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my daughter when she's ready for school

My reasonings are the usual I assume. I like the one on one teaching feel it's a good idea as far as the best education for her. I was homeschooled as a child until 5th grade actually skipped to 6th when I was placed in public school. When I was in 6th grade many of my classmates already smoked/chewed one was pregnant and many others already drank I'd rather not expose DD to that. And then there's all the violence that seems to occur in school systems these days.

I was curious how did you know you had it in you to be a good teacher? My mom was a great teacher my aunt on the other hand was not. When her kids went to school many still couldn't read one in 5th grade at the time she has since caught up and loves to read thankfully. Due to that this though I worry if I can be as good a teacher as my mother was I know I'd be doing what is best for my daughter but the last thing I want to do is let her down. So how did you know you could do it? How did you start? What sort of teaching styles are there? I have soooo many question

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Good! Oh that sucks that your library is so far away. Well, in that I would probably only use it when I'm not sure of the book. I've bought quite a few books. Their nice to have in the house and there's no deadline on when I have to give them back,lol.

And yes! Ds hates subtracting so I thought of taking him there with a pad of paper, a pencil and figuring out how old these people were when they died. maybe we can even do an averge age based on a time period. I think it's going to be fun. Ds is really excited about it :-)

Quoting MrsSumner3:

That sounds great and really gives me confidence that I can do this ;) the nearest library is bout 40 minutes away and it's quite pricey to get a card if your not in the county but I have fronds that are maybe I can work something out if not just have to pay for it I suppose I love reading and am trying to foster a love of reading in my daughter so far seems to be working

Might I ask how your doing math in the cemetery? Sounds interesting...I'm guessing it has something to do with dates on the tombstones?

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)