Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (151-160):
wardance
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM

hi! , i'm julie i have three boys that i homeschool, am married and new to homeschooling. looking forward to this group.

katwil444
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

My name is Katie.  I am from Missoui and we just started homeschooling my youngest.  He is 10.  We are also looking for a penpal that he can write too not email.  Any suggestions?

emerelaino
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Hi my name is Laura and I have 5 kids, 20, 18, 15 dds. My oldest two are in college and all three have always been in PS system. I also have twin boys who are 4.5 yrs and would be due to start K in fall 2014. I am leaning very strongly towards HSing them, and will actually start with a more structured learning time for them in January. I am still in process of researching options and curriculums and may end up cobbling a few together to fit the learning styles of my boys.

I feel I have much to learn about the process of HSing an I expect I will not get a lot of family support, but I also feel that PS is the worst of all options for my boys at this point in time. I am kind of overwhelmed at the prospect and the tremendous responsibility that comes with the decision to HS, but my instincts are telling me that my boys and their learning styles would not mesh with the PS environment.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Mary, it is great to have you here!

Quoting MaryJarrett: 1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?
3-Serenity (5 years), Caidence (3.5 years), Wrex (2.5 months)
And
2-Serenity and Caidence

I'm not sure how to answer that. I start doing basic colors, counting, alphabet, etc around 2. Serenity wouldn't be due to start school until fall 2014.

I'm not sure. We do a lot of workbooks, a lot of hands on activities, and lot of reading and experimentation.

Caidence really enjoys computer games and writing practice. She also loves being read to. She likes to play with stuffed animals, dance, and sing.
Serenity enjoys math and science experiments. She loves to practice reading. She dances, sings, and plays mommy. She loves animals and being outside.
They both love helping out.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Welcome Nicole!

Quoting nicolecurry: Hello my name is Nicole 1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool? I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old I have not started homeschool best and I am trying to figure out what is best for them. 2. How long have you been homeschooling? I homeschooled my son for 2 years early in his schooling then my husband said he needed to be socialized and we have put him in Monessouri and Charter Schools ever since. 3. What type of homeschooling do you do? Connections academy. 4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy? Researching, star wars, dancing, karate, going to the library. I could really use some help. My son hates 5the grade mainly it seems because he and his teacher do not get along and I am trying to solve the problem but he is failing and does not care. Please help. Sean

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Welcome Julie!

Quoting wardance:

hi! , i'm julie i have three boys that i homeschool, am married and new to homeschooling. looking forward to this group.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Welcome Katie!

Quoting katwil444:

My name is Katie.  I am from Missoui and we just started homeschooling my youngest.  He is 10.  We are also looking for a penpal that he can write too not email.  Any suggestions?

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Welcome Laura!

Quoting emerelaino:

Hi my name is Laura and I have 5 kids, 20, 18, 15 dds. My oldest two are in college and all three have always been in PS system. I also have twin boys who are 4.5 yrs and would be due to start K in fall 2014. I am leaning very strongly towards HSing them, and will actually start with a more structured learning time for them in January. I am still in process of researching options and curriculums and may end up cobbling a few together to fit the learning styles of my boys.

I feel I have much to learn about the process of HSing an I expect I will not get a lot of family support, but I also feel that PS is the worst of all options for my boys at this point in time. I am kind of overwhelmed at the prospect and the tremendous responsibility that comes with the decision to HS, but my instincts are telling me that my boys and their learning styles would not mesh with the PS environment.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Oh my goodness! Welcome welcome welcome all you wonderful new members! I'm so glad you joined! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jilectan
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We're using the Robinson Curriculum. It's a self-taught curriculum that includes using Saxon math, reading good books (mostly old ones that are out of copyright) that cover all the subjects (over time) that kids need to learn and writing. My son (the oldest) is working through Saxon math 54, reading a book, studying the vocabulary, and writing a page a day. My younger two aren't ready for that yet, as they're not reading yet and haven't learned basic arithmetic yet, but when they've got that, they'll be doing what my son is right now.

I haven't been using this for long, about a month, but we're already getting good improvements. My son is improving rapidly in his math, actually enjoys reading, now, and is neater in his writing than he was a month ago. He's also voluntarily written a story of his own, something he would never have done voluntarily before, and made his story an illustrated cover to go with it.

We'll probably add to the basics once we've gotten used to the routine, but for now that's all we're doing.

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! Welcome to the group! :)

I definitely believe that we start "homeschooling" from the very beginning of birth. For me, education is life and life is education. I believe education starts the moment a being is capable of learning.
Do you have a set curriculum or do you do your own?

Quoting Jilectan:

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

We have three children and all are being homeschooled.

That depends on whether you consider kids to be homeschooled from birth or not. My oldest is 9 1/2. If you count from when he would have started ps, then 4 years.

We have just made a switch from eclectic to self-instruction using the Robinson Curriculum. It's tough, so far, but should get easier.

My son is in to video games, my older daughter is in to sharks and drawing, and my youngest is 4 and does whatever her siblings do. She does really like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, though.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN