Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (161-170):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Awesome! Your doing a great job. How long before your other children join their brother?

Quoting Jilectan:

We're using the Robinson Curriculum. It's a self-taught curriculum that includes using Saxon math, reading good books (mostly old ones that are out of copyright) that cover all the subjects (over time) that kids need to learn and writing. My son (the oldest) is working through Saxon math 54, reading a book, studying the vocabulary, and writing a page a day. My younger two aren't ready for that yet, as they're not reading yet and haven't learned basic arithmetic yet, but when they've got that, they'll be doing what my son is right now.

I haven't been using this for long, about a month, but we're already getting good improvements. My son is improving rapidly in his math, actually enjoys reading, now, and is neater in his writing than he was a month ago. He's also voluntarily written a story of his own, something he would never have done voluntarily before, and made his story an illustrated cover to go with it.

We'll probably add to the basics once we've gotten used to the routine, but for now that's all we're doing.

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! Welcome to the group! :)

I definitely believe that we start "homeschooling" from the very beginning of birth. For me, education is life and life is education. I believe education starts the moment a being is capable of learning.
Do you have a set curriculum or do you do your own?

Quoting Jilectan:

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

We have three children and all are being homeschooled.

2. How longĀ  have you been homeschooling?

That depends on whether you consider kids to be homeschooled from birth or not. My oldest is 9 1/2. If you count from when he would have started ps, then 4 years.

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

We have just made a switch from eclectic to self-instruction using the Robinson Curriculum. It's tough, so far, but should get easier.

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

My son is in to video games, my older daughter is in to sharks and drawing, and my youngest is 4 and does whatever her siblings do. She does really like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, though.

Jilectan
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a little hard to say at this point. My 7 year old daughter is having a hard time learning to read. It kind of runs in the family, she has an aunt, a few uncles, and a few cousins who also had problems learning to read. She's been making progress lately, so I'm hoping that she's really ready, now. Down side is she seems to think she's never going to learn to read, as I showed her book one of the first Bob books set at the book store a couple of days ago and she got upset and said it was too hard. She's read things that are at least that level before, so I'm hoping she was just tired.

My other daughter, the 4 year old, is just starting to learn to read and do math, but I'd say she's a couple of years away from starting anything serious, too. Her progress is actually pretty reassuring to me that my older daughter's reading problems aren't something that I did to her, since she's progressing more like their brother did.

Quoting kirbymom: Awesome! Your doing a great job. How long before your other children join their brother?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I thought the same thing with my there oldest. My second child had trouble learning to read. So much so, that I ever despaired he would learn. But he did and the next couple of kids that I had, learned so much quicker that I knew I wasn't a horrible teacher. :)
Maybe try a whole word rhyme of a few words and see if that helps generate more interest in learning to read.

Quoting Jilectan:

It's a little hard to say at this point. My 7 year old daughter is having a hard time learning to read. It kind of runs in the family, she has an aunt, a few uncles, and a few cousins who also had problems learning to read. She's been making progress lately, so I'm hoping that she's really ready, now. Down side is she seems to think she's never going to learn to read, as I showed her book one of the first Bob books set at the book store a couple of days ago and she got upset and said it was too hard. She's read things that are at least that level before, so I'm hoping she was just tired.

My other daughter, the 4 year old, is just starting to learn to read and do math, but I'd say she's a couple of years away from starting anything serious, too. Her progress is actually pretty reassuring to me that my older daughter's reading problems aren't something that I did to her, since she's progressing more like their brother did.

Quoting kirbymom: Awesome! Your doing a great job. How long before your other children join their brother?

Jilectan
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I was pretty freaked out about it for awhile, but I've managed to get some perspective. She is making progress, after all, just not at the speed that her siblings are. That's fine, she'll get there, just at her own speed, right?

One thing I'm doing is taking her back to basics. We're using some of the basic Kumon books (Uppercase Letters, Lowercase Letters, Alphabet games, numbers 1-30 and number games). She's actually enjoying it, so that's good, and seems to be improving on her letter and number recognition. She's not getting bored as quickly with these, either.

Quoting kirbymom: I wouldn't worry too much. I thought the same thing with my there oldest. My second child had trouble learning to read. So much so, that I ever despaired he would learn. But he did and the next couple of kids that I had, learned so much quicker that I knew I wasn't a horrible teacher. :)
Maybe try a whole word rhyme of a few words and see if that helps generate more interest in learning to read.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Yep. She'll learn at her own pace. That is why homeschooling works so well. You can go at your children's pace, be that fast, normal or slower. As long as there is progress, the children are just fine. And, it,sounds like you have found something that has grabbed your daughter's interest. Good job! :)

Quoting Jilectan:

I was pretty freaked out about it for awhile, but I've managed to get some perspective. She is making progress, after all, just not at the speed that her siblings are. That's fine, she'll get there, just at her own speed, right?

One thing I'm doing is taking her back to basics. We're using some of the basic Kumon books (Uppercase Letters, Lowercase Letters, Alphabet games, numbers 1-30 and number games). She's actually enjoying it, so that's good, and seems to be improving on her letter and number recognition. She's not getting bored as quickly with these, either.

Quoting kirbymom: I wouldn't worry too much. I thought the same thing with my there oldest. My second child had trouble learning to read. So much so, that I ever despaired he would learn. But he did and the next couple of kids that I had, learned so much quicker that I knew I wasn't a horrible teacher. :)

salinn21
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Im sami.

I have 1 son and expecting another. I just started in homeschooling so i really feel like i am going to need a lot of help trying to figure out the ropes.
SuperMom945
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

hi my name is MiMi and i have 2 young boys, one just turned 7 and the other is 2 years old. I am a young mom and i am not homeschooling my child just yet because i want to make sure i make the right decision. i cannot find anyone to ask around where i live any questions about homeschooling. please help ;)

PammysZoo
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Everyone!

I'm a former homeschooling mom of 11 years.  I have 3 daughters (20, 16, 14).  It's been two years since I've homeschooled and boy do I miss it!  My now 14 yr. old is a freshman in our local high school (and loving it!).  My 16 yr. old started her freshman year at home, but after several weeks tested into an alternative school and has been attending since then.  She's a junior now. 

I'll post a question on another forum, but for now I am working part-time in children's ministry and am an active taxi driver for my two youngest teens.  My 16 yr. old is currently learning to drive.  I LOVE to read and can be found blow drying my hair every morning while reading my current novel - yes, it's a technique I've had to master in order to get some book time in.  : )

I've been married for 25 yrs. to a husband that has been supportive of my homeschool journey.  I have a house full of pets that keeps me busy, as well.  I enjoy gardening even if I'm not very good at it and I love to go walking. 

Have a Happy New Year and I look forward to reading your posts and chatting with you.

PammysZoo

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Hi Sami. Welcome! :)

I'm Sonja. Have you done any research or anything yet? If you have questions, ask away! This group is very good at helping advise or pointing in the right direction for what your needing or looking for.

Quoting salinn21: Im sami.

I have 1 son and expecting another. I just started in homeschooling so i really feel like i am going to need a lot of help trying to figure out the ropes.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Hi MiMi. Welcome to the group. :)

It is always a good thing to make sure you are making the right decision for you and your family.
What questions would you like to ask?

Quoting SuperMom945:

hi my name is MiMi and i have 2 young boys, one just turned 7 and the other is 2 years old. I am a young mom and i am not homeschooling my child just yet because i want to make sure i make the right decision. i cannot find anyone to ask around where i live any questions about homeschooling. please help ;)

undefined

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN