Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrsSumner3
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Yeah I go town a couple times a week so would be doable but could be a haste idk got a couple years to figure it out

Love your cemetery learning ideas! I also disliked math that would have been more interesting way to learn! I will have to remember that and find out where our nearest cemetery is

Quoting paganbaby:

Good! Oh that sucks that your library is so far away. Well, in that I would probably only use it when I'm not sure of the book. I've bought quite a few books. Their nice to have in the house and there's no deadline on when I have to give them back,lol.

And yes! Ds hates subtracting so I thought of taking him there with a pad of paper, a pencil and figuring out how old these people were when they died. maybe we can even do an averge age based on a time period. I think it's going to be fun. Ds is really excited about it :-)

Quoting MrsSumner3:

That sounds great and really gives me confidence that I can do this ;) the nearest library is bout 40 minutes away and it's quite pricey to get a card if your not in the county but I have fronds that are maybe I can work something out if not just have to pay for it I suppose I love reading and am trying to foster a love of reading in my daughter so far seems to be working

Might I ask how your doing math in the cemetery? Sounds interesting...I'm guessing it has something to do with dates on the tombstones?

Quoting paganbaby:

Those are all great reasons!

You know, I didn't know if I could do it, I just looked at my children who were struggling and saw no other way. You follow their lead, keep it fun and know you don't have to keep to anyone's schedule but your own.

My best piece of advice is this. As long as their progressing, you're doing it right. Your dd may be ahead or behind compared to little Susie down the street but in reality, she's right where she needs to be.

Also, don't be afraid to switch it and try new things. There are many veteran homeschoolers out there who still haven't found "the right" curriculum. This may work for math but not for reading, ect. I myself Frankenstein it. We do reading from any books he likes, spelling is naturally learned from reading. Grammar is this online computer game. Science comes from Netflix, the library and this awesome books of science experiments. Writing is notes and letters. And math is from a workbook. Although we're switching it up toady by going to the cemetery for some math,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Hi I'm new sort of (been randomly browsing cafe mom since October 2010 but recently started really getting into all the groups and things) I have a beautiful two year old daughter (birthday October 5th 2011) I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my daughter when she's ready for school

My reasonings are the usual I assume. I like the one on one teaching feel it's a good idea as far as the best education for her. I was homeschooled as a child until 5th grade actually skipped to 6th when I was placed in public school. When I was in 6th grade many of my classmates already smoked/chewed one was pregnant and many others already drank I'd rather not expose DD to that. And then there's all the violence that seems to occur in school systems these days.

I was curious how did you know you had it in you to be a good teacher? My mom was a great teacher my aunt on the other hand was not. When her kids went to school many still couldn't read one in 5th grade at the time she has since caught up and loves to read thankfully. Due to that this though I worry if I can be as good a teacher as my mother was I know I'd be doing what is best for my daughter but the last thing I want to do is let her down. So how did you know you could do it? How did you start? What sort of teaching styles are there? I have soooo many question

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

See, that'll work out but your right, you have plenty of time.

Thank you! I thought of it as I was passing the cemetary. Out of habit, I was mentally subtracting to figure out their age when it hit melightbulb. Bubba would get such a kick out of that! It helps that I was raised by an odd mother. She used to take me and my sister there all the time,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Yeah I go town a couple times a week so would be doable but could be a haste idk got a couple years to figure it out

Love your cemetery learning ideas! I also disliked math that would have been more interesting way to learn! I will have to remember that and find out where our nearest cemetery is

Quoting paganbaby:

Good! Oh that sucks that your library is so far away. Well, in that I would probably only use it when I'm not sure of the book. I've bought quite a few books. Their nice to have in the house and there's no deadline on when I have to give them back,lol.

And yes! Ds hates subtracting so I thought of taking him there with a pad of paper, a pencil and figuring out how old these people were when they died. maybe we can even do an averge age based on a time period. I think it's going to be fun. Ds is really excited about it :-)

Quoting MrsSumner3:

That sounds great and really gives me confidence that I can do this ;) the nearest library is bout 40 minutes away and it's quite pricey to get a card if your not in the county but I have fronds that are maybe I can work something out if not just have to pay for it I suppose I love reading and am trying to foster a love of reading in my daughter so far seems to be working

Might I ask how your doing math in the cemetery? Sounds interesting...I'm guessing it has something to do with dates on the tombstones?

Quoting paganbaby:

You know, I didn't know if I could do it, I just looked at my children who were struggling and saw no other way. You follow their lead, keep it fun and know you don't have to keep to anyone's schedule but your own.

My best piece of advice is this. As long as their progressing, you're doing it right. Your dd may be ahead or behind compared to little Susie down the street but in reality, she's right where she needs to be.

Also, don't be afraid to switch it and try new things. There are many veteran homeschoolers out there who still haven't found "the right" curriculum. This may work for math but not for reading, ect. I myself Frankenstein it. We do reading from any books he likes, spelling is naturally learned from reading. Grammar is this online computer game. Science comes from Netflix, the library and this awesome books of science experiments. Writing is notes and letters. And math is from a workbook. Although we're switching it up toady by going to the cemetery for some math,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Hi I'm new sort of (been randomly browsing cafe mom since October 2010 but recently started really getting into all the groups and things) I have a beautiful two year old daughter (birthday October 5th 2011) I have been tossing around the idea of homeschooling my daughter when she's ready for school

My reasonings are the usual I assume. I like the one on one teaching feel it's a good idea as far as the best education for her. I was homeschooled as a child until 5th grade actually skipped to 6th when I was placed in public school. When I was in 6th grade many of my classmates already smoked/chewed one was pregnant and many others already drank I'd rather not expose DD to that. And then there's all the violence that seems to occur in school systems these days.

I was curious how did you know you had it in you to be a good teacher? My mom was a great teacher my aunt on the other hand was not. When her kids went to school many still couldn't read one in 5th grade at the time she has since caught up and loves to read thankfully. Due to that this though I worry if I can be as good a teacher as my mother was I know I'd be doing what is best for my daughter but the last thing I want to do is let her down. So how did you know you could do it? How did you start? What sort of teaching styles are there? I have soooo many question

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MrsSumner3
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Ha ha that's awesome my mother tried to "fix" my "oddness" most of my childhood but now that I'm an adult she seems to have decided its fine and respects what she now calls "unique" instead of odd lol

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you! I thought of it as I was passing the cemetary. Out of habit, I was mentally subtracting to figure out their age when it hit melightbulb. Bubba would get such a kick out of that! It helps that I was raised by an odd mother. She used to take me and my sister there all the time,lol.

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, learn from her mistakes and teach your kids to be as "unique" as they can be LOL

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Ha ha that's awesome my mother tried to "fix" my "oddness" most of my childhood but now that I'm an adult she seems to have decided its fine and respects what she now calls "unique" instead of odd lol

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting MrsSumner3:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

posh417
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool? Two and Two.

2. How long  have you been homeschooling? One year.

3. What type of homeschooling do you do? I grew up using Abeka, so that's what we're using.

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy? Drawing, puzzles, coloring, crafts.

VarelaClan
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool? 4, all of them.

2. How long  have you been homeschooling? Always. Kids have never gone to school elsewhere.

3. What type of homeschooling do you do? Currently we are doing virtual. We've also done parent led and dvd programs.

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy? Yoga, dance, basketball, martial arts, hiking, snowboarding, skiing, biking.
nicki1018
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi I am Nicki. I homeschool both my kids and have been for about a year now. Right now we are transitioning from a full time curriculum to classical learning. The kids love art and crafts, outdoor activities, science.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Huge advantage to have a head start!!! I knew I would HS DD right away and went to my first expo when she was 18 mo it took some pressure off me as I got familiar with all the programs out there and also let me watch her learning style with HSing in mind!!

Quoting dizzy91:

I can't really answer the questions since they don't apply to me! I am a mom to be, and we plan on homeschooling. My fiance was homeschooled from 7th grade on. I am trying to learn as much as I can about homeschooling. I already know a lot of the topics I want to teach, but there's so much I don't know about planning, organizing, and materials. So, I'd like to learn as much as I can. :)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I am Nicole mom of two crazy active kids! Dd is 4 and DS is 21 mo. We have been HSing since birth and I love how much I am learning along with them. My Dh is French and speaks only French to our kids so I am learning French too!
Mantidae
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

I am a homeschooler wannabe.  I WANT to form a homeschool co-op in my town, ideally composed of 5 - 10 parents and however many children they bring to the mix.  I have 2 kids, but only the younger would be homeschooled.

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

See above.

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

I am researching different methods currently.  Recommendations (backed by evidence) are welcome!

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

Music, Nature, Crafts, Reading, Running Around, Art,...

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN