Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading Eggs is offering a FREE 4-week trial of their multi-award winning online reading program for homeschoolers!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM
BJ
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Find out more --> www.readingeggs.com/fhd

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
101stwife
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Wow great site! Thanks! I just signed up and my dd did 2 lessons right away. She loves it!!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM

That is wonderful!

Quoting 101stwife:

Wow great site! Thanks! I just signed up and my dd did 2 lessons right away. She loves it!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:24 AM

As a tutor I am given the children who are struggling with reading.  There are several reasons children are poor readers, but the most common one is that computers teach some of the sounds incorrectly.  For example : they teach h as hu, and p as pu.  We to not say hu-a-pu-y for happy. 

Computer games are great for many things, but not for teaching phonics.  It is important that you the educator teach that so as to make sure they are getting the basics correctly 

Hear Phonic Sounds Free

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thanks!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

That's why you teach blending and stretching out the words.

Quoting romacox:

As a tutor I am given the children who are struggling with reading.  There are several reasons children are poor readers, but the most common one is that computers teach some of the sounds incorrectly.  For example : they teach h as hu, and p as pu.  We to not say hu-a-pu-y for happy. 

Computer games are great for many things, but not for teaching phonics.  It is important that you the educator teach that so as to make sure they are getting the basics correctly 

Hear Phonic Sounds Free

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

That works for some kids even thouth they are taught the wrong enunciation.  But you would be surprised how many children have been given to me to help simply because of this error.  Getting the basice right is so very important for many children. It is the number one major cause of reading problems.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's why you teach blending and stretching out the words.

Quoting romacox:

Hear Phonic Sounds Free

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)