Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't understand :( UPDATE in original post

DD took her SATs earlier this month. We were psyched. We didn't pressure her, but based on her PSAT, as well as the casual practice tests she took, we were looking forward to something really positive.

Her scores came back yesterday and...we're both so disappointed. I mean, her Math score is actually below the national average. Her Reading and Writing scores weren't bad, but certainly not outstanding.

Honestly, I'm kind of crushed. I know she is, too. I mean, if her scores are going to look like this, I'm wondering if she's really capable of going for that dream career, which is very math intensive.

I can't even begin to imagine what went wrong.

She wants to give it another shot in March, and I think it did shock her into realizing that spending time preparing more diligently will be in her best interest.

UPDATE: Well, all her testing is over for the fall. She seemed upbeat heading in *and* coming out of her ACTs today, so we'll see how far a positive attitude takes her. :)  Thanks for all the support and well-wishes!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I mentioned here a little while ago that I took a test for work and thought it went great, I went into it knowing the stuff, and then I got an email saying I had for retake it. I was crushed and just didn't get what had gone so wrong! I studied again, and went back to do it a couple weeks later, and got a 100! Obviously my test was much different than the SATs, but I think part of the issue is I was so confident, but didn't know exactly what they were looking for. After doing it once, I was more prepared to study a bit harder and try again.

I bet she will do better in March, and on the ACT tomorrow...let us know how that goes!
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Did she take a prep class? I know there is a science to getting a good score.
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

So sorry to hear that.  I took the GMAT and studied beforehand with a book/cd for the computer combination; now there are more online options of course!  It taught me how to take the test, which was actually more important than any actual knowledge I had.  There's a whole quirky way each type of test is written, and something like that would give her a huge upper hand when she takes it again. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting debramommyof4:

I think now she will do better then.  Now she has a better idea what is going to be on it and how it is going to happen.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KLove_Mom
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with other posters... she should take both the ACT and SAT, but make sure she knows the difference in how they are scored.
Sometimes you are counted "more wrong" for a guess than if it is left blank, and sometimes it is counted the same so you might as well guess. I can't remember which test is graded in which way, but that's something that Prep classes are good at preparing a student for.

Check with local private schools to see if she can take their ACT or SAT prep class. A lot of private schools will allow for non-enrolled students if the class isn't full. My mom is a counselor and teaches a Prep class... she says kids raise their scores by 2 scholarship brackets on average. 

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks so much, you guys. I really do feel better about this.

I know the tests aren't strictly necessary, but they're part of the big picture, so they're on the schedule.

After the difficulties she's had, I think I still feel she's more fragile than she really is. She could have done a test prep class and not shut down, but I was too scared to take the chance. She's fine. I'm the one who needs to buck up!

So we'll hunt down a test prep class for the spring sessions and hope they make a difference. I hate that it comes down to how you game the test, rather than whether you know your stuff. Of course, given these scores, she kinda pooched it on both counts, I think. I'm pretty sure I ordered the answers so we could see where it went off track, so those should show up in the next couple of weeks.

Again, we could use some positive thoughts/prayers/energy tomorrow morning for the ACT. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon!

buckeyetravels
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I took the ACT Composite (the ACT with the essay) and got a 19 composite score on it. I wouldn't have been able to get into the education program at some colleges because of my low score. University of Toledo was one school I was able to qualify for with my low ACT score. Some of the education departments at some of the schools I looked at wanted between 21-25 ACT score or you weren't allowed admission. I think it's nice that colleges are scrapping the SAT/ACT.
lucsch
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My not-homeschooled sons took SAT prep classes and scored in the 1950-2100 range. I think those classes are totally worth it. Yes, I have THREE kids going to college concurrently!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

BUMP!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Sounds good. How long before you know hiw she did?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)