Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (101-110):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Actually, we do teach our kids about those things. Not as in depth or about every nuance but, yes, we make sure they are knowledgeable on those things. I'll give you an example of what we do
We pick a subject. Let's go with religion. We are Hebrew but we teach our kids about that AND everyone else's religion/faith. They research what each faith stands for, where they originated, who started it, what year and then write a report on those religions. Then they get to write another paper on the one they feel they identify with most and state their reasons why. We do this with a lot of topics. We want our kids to be as educated and as knowledgeable as they can plus be able to intellectually and intelligently converse with as many walks of life as possible. To know and understand as much as is possible and to understand the why's of (?).
If my kids understand other people and their ways of doing things and their ways of believing, then they will be able to make informed decisions for themselves and know why they do.
I don't keep my kids home to isolate them, I keep them home because I can educate them better than the "system" ever could.

Quoting -Kit-:

It's as ludicrous an idea to me as teaching my child why some people believed the earth was flat, or that the world was going to end on December 21st, 2012.

Do you teach your child about the Moonies? The pricinples of $cientology? Flat-earth? Alien-abduction believing cults? Indigeonous beliefs of Papua New Guinea?

Creationism and religion is equally as irrelevant to us as those things likely are to you.

Quoting kirbymom: I can understand your views on history, but I would like to better understand your views on Creationism and anything religious in regards to science.

Quoting -Kit-:

Creationism or any religiously-based thought, especially in regards to science.

I also will not teach US history as separate from general world history, nor will I allow the kind of jingoistic, historic negationism present not only in public school teachings but that also dominates homeschooling materials, possibly to an even more absurd degree than those made for public.

Suffice to say I screen any material even vaguely history related very carefully. It's a huge pet peeve (or possibly a major psychotic berserk button) of mine that the line between fact and fantasy has been and continues to be not just blurred, but purposefully obfuscated, in regards to history, the rest of the world, and how Americans are to see it.

Tal0n
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

No.  The educated person should know something about everything.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree.

Quoting Tal0n:

No.  The educated person should know something about everything.

-Kit-
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not isolating her from the fact that those ideas exist, I just don't feel they're relevant to our life and won't go out of my way to tiptoe around world religion as a political correctness move. I won't stop her from going to church with a friend or reading about it on her own, but it's not a priority by any means. There are literally hundreds and thousands of religions and beliefs. I'm not going to teach her about every one of them. Nor am I going to teach her about the "big" ones any more than the small ones.

She's only 5. She has no reason to know about religion or converse with others about it. Our society is already far too polarized, and children are indoctrinated and weaponized by their parents and religions at far too young an age to actually understand or mount a sophisticated logical defense against it. I don't want to talk to her about it, I don't want others talking to her about it, and I certainly don't think I should be preparing her to talk to others about it. In 10 years, I am sure she will have heard of most of the big ideologies out there and will be able to decide for herself what to believe or what she wants to investigate further.

In the mean time, there is absolutely no reason for me to fill her head with talk of people who believe their spaceship is coming, or that their invisible sky daddy will elect their favorite candidate or punish their enemies with a one-way ticket to a lake of fire, or that blowing themselves up in a shopping mall and killing several people for no apparent reason will send them to paradise.

Quoting kirbymom: Actually, we do teach our kids about those things. Not as in depth or about every nuance but, yes, we make sure they are knowledgeable on those things. I'll give you an example of what we do
We pick a subject. Let's go with religion. We are Hebrew but we teach our kids about that AND everyone else's religion/faith. They research what each faith stands for, where they originated, who started it, what year and then write a report on those religions. Then they get to write another paper on the one they feel they identify with most and state their reasons why. We do this with a lot of topics. We want our kids to be as educated and as knowledgeable as they can plus be able to intellectually and intelligently converse with as many walks of life as possible. To know and understand as much as is possible and to understand the why's of (?).
If my kids understand other people and their ways of doing things and their ways of believing, then they will be able to make informed decisions for themselves and know why they do.
I don't keep my kids home to isolate them, I keep them home because I can educate them better than the "system" ever could.

Quoting -Kit-:

It's as ludicrous an idea to me as teaching my child why some people believed the earth was flat, or that the world was going to end on December 21st, 2012.

Do you teach your child about the Moonies? The pricinples of $cientology? Flat-earth? Alien-abduction believing cults? Indigeonous beliefs of Papua New Guinea?

Creationism and religion is equally as irrelevant to us as those things likely are to you.

Quoting kirbymom: I can understand your views on history, but I would like to better understand your views on Creationism and anything religious in regards to science.

Quoting -Kit-:

I also will not teach US history as separate from general world history, nor will I allow the kind of jingoistic, historic negationism present not only in public school teachings but that also dominates homeschooling materials, possibly to an even more absurd degree than those made for public.

Suffice to say I screen any material even vaguely history related very carefully. It's a huge pet peeve (or possibly a major psychotic berserk button) of mine that the line between fact and fantasy has been and continues to be not just blurred, but purposefully obfuscated, in regards to history, the rest of the world, and how Americans are to see it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree with kirby on a number of things (religion, science, etc) but you're just plain insulting.

Quoting -Kit-:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not isolating her from the fact that those ideas exist, I just don't feel they're relevant to our life and won't go out of my way to tiptoe around world religion as a political correctness move. I won't stop her from going to church with a friend or reading about it on her own, but it's not a priority by any means. There are literally hundreds and thousands of religions and beliefs. I'm not going to teach her about every one of them. Nor am I going to teach her about the "big" ones any more than the small ones.

She's only 5. She has no reason to know about religion or converse with others about it. Our society is already far too polarized, and children are indoctrinated and weaponized by their parents and religions at far too young an age to actually understand or mount a sophisticated logical defense against it. I don't want to talk to her about it, I don't want others talking to her about it, and I certainly don't think I should be preparing her to talk to others about it. In 10 years, I am sure she will have heard of most of the big ideologies out there and will be able to decide for herself what to believe or what she wants to investigate further.

In the mean time, there is absolutely no reason for me to fill her head with talk of people who believe their spaceship is coming, or that their invisible sky daddy will elect their favorite candidate or punish their enemies with a one-way ticket to a lake of fire, or that blowing themselves up in a shopping mall and killing several people for no apparent reason will send them to paradise.

Quoting kirbymom: Actually, we do teach our kids about those things. Not as in depth or about every nuance but, yes, we make sure they are knowledgeable on those things. I'll give you an example of what we do

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

She is only 5 now, but are you never going to teach about the religions around the world?  There will probably come a time when she will be conversing with others about a great many things.  In college it is simply expected for one to know about the major religions of the world and to be able to converse about how a particular author's religious beliefs contributed to their writings.

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
This. You're doing your child no favors, academically, if you never touch on these things.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

She is only 5 now, but are you never going to teach about the religions around the world?  There will probably come a time when she will be conversing with others about a great many things.  In college it is simply expected for one to know about the major religions of the world and to be able to converse about how a particular author's religious beliefs contributed to their writings.

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I can see waiting until they're older, but not considering it an "unacceptable subject" period.

Quoting AutymsMommy: This. You're doing your child no favors, academically, if you never touch on these things.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

-Kit-
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents never taught me about world religions, neither did school really (or if htye did, I didn't pay attention). The school was from a Christian-centric position, despite being a public school, as all the history is written from a Eurocentric, thus, Christian-centric, position.

Like I said, she will get plenty of exposure from the world at large as she grows up, and she has and will have many resources at her disposal to learn what she needs, when she needs it. Religion is irrelevant to me and to my daughter right now, I will not be bringing it up unprovoked. It's not as if she only learns what I teach her, she's got a whole world out there providing input, whether I like it or not, and unfortunately religion is a big part of that, particularly in this absurd culture we live in.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

Quoting -Kit-:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey Kit, Did you have a rough time in ps?  Just wondering since it seems like it wasn't a positive experience.  Not that any of us are gushing rainbows about our ps days of course!**

** Not speaking for anyone else in here, just in case someone does gush rainbows about their ps days!

Quoting -Kit-:

My parents never taught me about world religions, neither did school really (or if htye did, I didn't pay attention). The school was from a Christian-centric position, despite being a public school, as all the history is written from a Eurocentric, thus, Christian-centric, position.

Like I said, she will get plenty of exposure from the world at large as she grows up, and she has and will have many resources at her disposal to learn what she needs, when she needs it. Religion is irrelevant to me and to my daughter right now, I will not be bringing it up unprovoked. It's not as if she only learns what I teach her, she's got a whole world out there providing input, whether I like it or not, and unfortunately religion is a big part of that, particularly in this absurd culture we live in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN