Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

KLove_Mom
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there are subjects that should be left until a certain age when the child has ability to reason and it serves to cultivate their abstract thinking skills... not just indoctrinate them on a subject.

I hope that as upper teens, we'll start to cover many subjects like world religions, in depth war-time history, and health. But I wouldn't do that in-depth with Kindergarteners. 

To me that's just common sense. I'll let my kids read Lord of the Flies and Hunger Games if they are interested in them... but not at 10 years old. :D

RheaF
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

None, as long as they are age appropriate that is. I feel it is important to leave the learning door open, and to be honest with my kids about everything (again, when they are the right ages).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Teach as truth or general instruction?
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM
3 moms liked this

We discuss everything: evolution and creationism, religions, cultural beliefs in different parts of the world, etc.  I tell them why evolution makes sense to me.  They're free to choose what they want since I wasn't around 13 billion years ago (my girls may argue differently!) to take a picture of the Big Bang. :)

lucsch
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this

This question is a bit too open ended for me. If you are asking if there are subjects taught in public school which I will teach differently, the answer is, "Yes." I will always teach all subjects from a Biblical worldview. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes... I'm just the opposite, we are constantly comparing the two, which means explaining and sorta introducing both.   However, we "teach" more about what the Bible says.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Math facts. I will never teach my kids to memorize them.
Mandallyn
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Ditto.  Same with the abstinence only sex ed. 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM
8 moms liked this
First I will say I think one can teach both creationism and evolution. In some ways. I don't think we evolved from bacteria...but I do think we evolved from prehistoric people. And the world had to start somehow, even if it was the Big Bang, I believe a higher power somehow made that happen. What are the chances it just happened?!

Anyway...I suppose eventually I will teach my children about anything, but I won't teach them things (like someone mentioned, we will probably learn about witchcraft but we wouldn't actually practice it...just as we will learn more about Hannakuh, but we won't celebrate it in place of Christmas...we are learning about ancient gods and goddesses, but we won't practice those beliefs).

I also wouldn't teach things the way the schools do...history will be factual, not glorified the way it is (DS asked my parents last week if they knew who discovered America..when they said Columbus, he said "nah, he didn't cross the Siberian Land Bridge" lol)..I will not teach homosexuality as a viable lifestyle 'choice' and I won't encourage my kids to not procreate just because some elite think us peons shouldn't grow the population. If they don't want children, that's one thing. I won't teach them that men are morons and need a woman to take care of them, just as I wouldn't teach it the other way around. I will teach that it is more important for them to follow their heart than to follow the herd.

And there are plenty of topics we wouldn't cover at 10 and 11, that we may end up covering at 16 and 17.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN