Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (111-120):
Jiggy78
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM
We are Christian and the only earthly treasures I hope to "have" in Heaven are my loved ones. As much as God, Jesus ,& the Holy Spirit means to me, we will still introduce other religions to our children.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Well, first off, my ending comment was not a jab at you but at the PS system. Secondly, I can also see where you would hold off some of the deeper discussions of viewpoints while your daughter is five, which I wasn't aware of in your OP, but I am curious as to why you would never speak on such topics? How will you answer her questions, if she asks them, on such topics as she comes across them? Do you think she just won't care or bother to ask or maybe even be uninterested in such topics?
I'm not trying to be superior or snotty or anything. Just was asking questions and being chatty but if I touched on a sore point, then I apologize for that.

Quoting -Kit-:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not isolating her from the fact that those ideas exist, I just don't feel they're relevant to our life and won't go out of my way to tiptoe around world religion as a political correctness move. I won't stop her from going to church with a friend or reading about it on her own, but it's not a priority by any means. There are literally hundreds and thousands of religions and beliefs. I'm not going to teach her about every one of them. Nor am I going to teach her about the "big" ones any more than the small ones.

She's only 5. She has no reason to know about religion or converse with others about it. Our society is already far too polarized, and children are indoctrinated and weaponized by their parents and religions at far too young an age to actually understand or mount a sophisticated logical defense against it. I don't want to talk to her about it, I don't want others talking to her about it, and I certainly don't think I should be preparing her to talk to others about it. In 10 years, I am sure she will have heard of most of the big ideologies out there and will be able to decide for herself what to believe or what she wants to investigate further.

In the mean time, there is absolutely no reason for me to fill her head with talk of people who believe their spaceship is coming, or that their invisible sky daddy will elect their favorite candidate or punish their enemies with a one-way ticket to a lake of fire, or that blowing themselves up in a shopping mall and killing several people for no apparent reason will send them to paradise.

Quoting kirbymom: Actually, we do teach our kids about those things. Not as in depth or about every nuance but, yes, we make sure they are knowledgeable on those things. I'll give you an example of what we do
We pick a subject. Let's go with religion. We are Hebrew but we teach our kids about that AND everyone else's religion/faith. They research what each faith stands for, where they originated, who started it, what year and then write a report on those religions. Then they get to write another paper on the one they feel they identify with most and state their reasons why. We do this with a lot of topics. We want our kids to be as educated and as knowledgeable as they can plus be able to intellectually and intelligently converse with as many walks of life as possible. To know and understand as much as is possible and to understand the why's of (?).
If my kids understand other people and their ways of doing things and their ways of believing, then they will be able to make informed decisions for themselves and know why they do.
I don't keep my kids home to isolate them, I keep them home because I can educate them better than the "system" ever could.

Quoting -Kit-:

It's as ludicrous an idea to me as teaching my child why some people believed the earth was flat, or that the world was going to end on December 21st, 2012.

Do you teach your child about the Moonies? The pricinples of $cientology? Flat-earth? Alien-abduction believing cults? Indigeonous beliefs of Papua New Guinea?

Creationism and religion is equally as irrelevant to us as those things likely are to you.

Quoting kirbymom: I can understand your views on history, but I would like to better understand your views on Creationism and anything religious in regards to science.

Quoting -Kit-:

Creationism or any religiously-based thought, especially in regards to science.

I also will not teach US history as separate from general world history, nor will I allow the kind of jingoistic, historic negationism present not only in public school teachings but that also dominates homeschooling materials, possibly to an even more absurd degree than those made for public.

Suffice to say I screen any material even vaguely history related very carefully. It's a huge pet peeve (or possibly a major psychotic berserk button) of mine that the line between fact and fantasy has been and continues to be not just blurred, but purposefully obfuscated, in regards to history, the rest of the world, and how Americans are to see it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually snorted!  Bwahahahaha!  I've never heard anyone gush rainbows about PS!  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Hey Kit, Did you have a rough time in ps?  Just wondering since it seems like it wasn't a positive experience.  Not that any of us are gushing rainbows about our ps days of course!**

** Not speaking for anyone else in here, just in case someone does gush rainbows about their ps days!

Quoting -Kit-:

My parents never taught me about world religions, neither did school really (or if htye did, I didn't pay attention). The school was from a Christian-centric position, despite being a public school, as all the history is written from a Eurocentric, thus, Christian-centric, position.

Like I said, she will get plenty of exposure from the world at large as she grows up, and she has and will have many resources at her disposal to learn what she needs, when she needs it. Religion is irrelevant to me and to my daughter right now, I will not be bringing it up unprovoked. It's not as if she only learns what I teach her, she's got a whole world out there providing input, whether I like it or not, and unfortunately religion is a big part of that, particularly in this absurd culture we live in.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I haven't either, but you never know!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I actually snorted!  Bwahahahaha!  I've never heard anyone gush rainbows about PS!  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Hey Kit, Did you have a rough time in ps?  Just wondering since it seems like it wasn't a positive experience.  Not that any of us are gushing rainbows about our ps days of course!**

** Not speaking for anyone else in here, just in case someone does gush rainbows about their ps days!

Quoting -Kit-:

My parents never taught me about world religions, neither did school really (or if htye did, I didn't pay attention). The school was from a Christian-centric position, despite being a public school, as all the history is written from a Eurocentric, thus, Christian-centric, position.

Like I said, she will get plenty of exposure from the world at large as she grows up, and she has and will have many resources at her disposal to learn what she needs, when she needs it. Religion is irrelevant to me and to my daughter right now, I will not be bringing it up unprovoked. It's not as if she only learns what I teach her, she's got a whole world out there providing input, whether I like it or not, and unfortunately religion is a big part of that, particularly in this absurd culture we live in.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Not public school, but boy does my DH gush rainbows about his catholic school days! The man loves to revisit those days!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting -Kit-:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ThkfulNStuf
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll be the odd man out lol, but my PS days weren't terrible! Wasn't perfect, but what is?!! :)
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I had three absolutely WONDERFUL teachers in high school who believed in me, and helped me care enough to take my grades from Ds to As/Bs.  I wrote them thank you notes a few years ago.

The rest definitely wasn't fantastic, but (most!) wasn't horrible.  :)

Quoting ThkfulNStuf: I'll be the odd man out lol, but my PS days weren't terrible! Wasn't perfect, but what is?!! :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I have absolutely no experience with private school, maybe it would have been better than our PS.  I rarely revisit my school days, I have never been to a single reunion.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not public school, but boy does my DH gush rainbows about his catholic school days! The man loves to revisit those days!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting -Kit-:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to my five year and that was good enough for me.  There's one friend I talk to a few times a year, but I quickly realized why I haven't stayed in touch with the rest!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have absolutely no experience with private school, maybe it would have been better than our PS.  I rarely revisit my school days, I have never been to a single reunion.

spitfire06
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I love your answer:) I'm sure my kids will be full of flavor BC I will teach them about a lot of things

Quoting TJandKarasMom: First I will say I think one can teach both creationism and evolution. In some ways. I don't think we evolved from bacteria...but I do think we evolved from prehistoric people. And the world had to start somehow, even if it was the Big Bang, I believe a higher power somehow made that happen. What are the chances it just happened?!

Anyway...I suppose eventually I will teach my children about anything, but I won't teach them things (like someone mentioned, we will probably learn about witchcraft but we wouldn't actually practice it...just as we will learn more about Hannakuh, but we won't celebrate it in place of Christmas...we are learning about ancient gods and goddesses, but we won't practice those beliefs).

I also wouldn't teach things the way the schools do...history will be factual, not glorified the way it is (DS asked my parents last week if they knew who discovered America..when they said Columbus, he said "nah, he didn't cross the Siberian Land Bridge" lol)..I will not teach homosexuality as a viable lifestyle 'choice' and I won't encourage my kids to not procreate just because some elite think us peons shouldn't grow the population. If they don't want children, that's one thing. I won't teach them that men are morons and need a woman to take care of them, just as I wouldn't teach it the other way around. I will teach that it is more important for them to follow their heart than to follow the herd.

And there are plenty of topics we wouldn't cover at 10 and 11, that we may end up covering at 16 and 17.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN