Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Except that you're taking out of the equation the millions of Catholics who teach theistic evolution - who definitely consider the Bible, God's role, AND the validity of evolution... and the many Christian scientists who fully support both creation and evolution as working hand-in-hand.

Quoting lucsch:

Most Christians teaching Creation concepts also teach the world's idea of evolution. So, they are well-versed on both sides of the issue. BTW, I would not accept Creation as science if it did not support scientific principles. People reject it, without really seriously considering it, because it requires belief in the God of the Bible. Of course if you take out that most significant assumption, the only theory which has a probability of making sense is evolution.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach Creationism. I would explain it, but not teach it. 

Just the same as someone who believes in creationism wouldn't teach evolution. 

To each his own . 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank You! :)
I love these kinds of posts. They are so intetesting.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

This is an awesome post Sonja. It went much deeper than I expected from last night. It's wonderful reading everyone's views (many of which are unique but extremely respectful).

Thanks for giving all of us the chance to state what we believe!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
5 moms liked this

We will go "over" safe sex practices, but on an individual discussion type thing.   Otherwise, yes, I'm teaching mainly abstinence.   However, I understand not wanting to teach abstinence only.   I don't want to teach it to them "only"... but it sure will be a GREAT portion of our teaching and encouraging...

We also believe in a "delayed dating" type approach.   In our opinion, and in the opinions of other parents I've heard of lately... dating was originally intended for people to get to know other people in regards to possible future marriage.   One on one dating is NOT necessary for the teen, and we just feel that dating at that level at their age sets them up for failure.   You put your teen in a 1-1 romantic setting and then expect them to not want to start experimenting with sex.

So, I am saying all of that to say... I don't want to raise naive kids, but we plan on teaching and pushing abstinence mostly.  However, I'm reinforcing that with rules and boundaries for our home that line up with what we believe and teach.  

I'm of the opinion that you don't have to "stay in fairy tale land" to solely teach abstinence as your family's choice.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach abstinence only.

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:

I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.
Why woldn't you teach abstinence?

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I would not teach abstinence only either.  I want my kids to know all of the ramification if they choose a sexual lifestyle and how to protect themselves from some of those ramifications.  My hubby has encouraged me to even teach them about my own rape when the time comes around to talk about those kinds of things.  His reasoning is that his own parents mainly taught him "keep it in your pants" and he did not feel as though he was fully informed.  He had a lot of questions that did not jive with their abstinence only stance and they would just repeat..."keep it in your pants."  He knew almost nothing of STDs, female anatomy, birth control, family planning.  He felt unequipped to plan our family when we were married and there was a whole lot I needed to teach him.  If my own parents had prepared me the way he had been prepared, we would have been in real trouble!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:

I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Me too.

Quoting paganbaby:

I've taught my kids Witchcraft...LOL

Quoting mhaney03:

depends on the age level for certain ones... I'm not teaching anything about body changes to my preschooler, obviously. 

um... witchcraft maybe? LOL.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Did you go into the actual physical act of sex and diseases and that stuff when she was 10?

My DD was asking questions at 9 (and before that, but before that I could give a basic answer and she was satisfied) at 9 she was really curious so I explained in more detail about how the baby is made, and when she asked how the sperm got to the egg, I said I felt she wasn't ready to discuss that part and we would talk about it more when she was older, she was ok with the answer.

Yesterday (she is 10.5 now) she told me that I left out a big part when we talked, and told me I left out how the sperm got to the egg. So I asked what she knew (they were in ps up until this year, so I am sure they have heard more than what I've told them), and she said "they have sex" but when I asked what she thought that meant, she couldn't tell me. I guess I'm just not sure how much to push and how much detail to give at this point. I don't feel she is a very mature 10 and I think once you know something it's hard to unknow it. But at the same time, I want her to have accurate information. I was sure to tell her that if she as any questions she should come to me or DH and feel free to ask.

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you! This started when she was 10! She came and asked about periods and we told her what it was, how it affects the body and the mind and then the fact that having a period makes you a woman physically but not emtionally yet. We talked about her being abke to have sex and the types of diseases caused from sex. It ended up being about a 4 or 5 hour conversation.

Your daughter can do make it. If she has that determination and you keep open that door of open communication she do the same as my daughter. Abd lots of other girls too.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Wow! clappingYou must have done something right! 

Right now my 13 year old is saying the same thing as your daughter and I hope it lasts. 

Quoting kirbymom:Okay. Gothchya now. That is where my hubby's and I's thought are too. We'd rather there be abstinence but realize kids will make those "decisions" in the spur of the moment. So, we choose to tell our kids about what we'd like and then teach them about the human body inside and out along with the reprocussions of the decisions made. Both positive and negative. I am so grateful that we did too. My almost 18 year old made the decision to abstain until she was ready to fully commit to a relationship 100% and because she didn't want to have to saddle us with the reprocussions of having made that choice. She decided that she wanted to be the one fully and completely 100% responsible if she happened to have gotten into trouble if she decided to have a full relationship. Such a mature and wise decision for one so young. We are so proud. I am so proud. Now if I can get all my other children to make such decisions! *fingers crossed*

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I'd say if she asking, tell her. Of course give her the g rated version. 

She could also probably handle some of the info on diseases & pregnancy. 

I was asking questions like that at 6 because I really wanted to know. My mom didn't handle it well. She handed me a college level medical book and walked out the room!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Did you go into the actual physical act of sex and diseases and that stuff when she was 10?

My DD was asking questions at 9 (and before that, but before that I could give a basic answer and she was satisfied) at 9 she was really curious so I explained in more detail about how the baby is made, and when she asked how the sperm got to the egg, I said I felt she wasn't ready to discuss that part and we would talk about it more when she was older, she was ok with the answer.

Yesterday (she is 10.5 now) she told me that I left out a big part when we talked, and told me I left out how the sperm got to the egg. So I asked what she knew (they were in ps up until this year, so I am sure they have heard more than what I've told them), and she said "they have sex" but when I asked what she thought that meant, she couldn't tell me. I guess I'm just not sure how much to push and how much detail to give at this point. I don't feel she is a very mature 10 and I think once you know something it's hard to unknow it. But at the same time, I want her to have accurate information. I was sure to tell her that if she as any questions she should come to me or DH and feel free to ask.

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you! This started when she was 10! She came and asked about periods and we told her what it was, how it affects the body and the mind and then the fact that having a period makes you a woman physically but not emtionally yet. We talked about her being abke to have sex and the types of diseases caused from sex. It ended up being about a 4 or 5 hour conversation.

Your daughter can do make it. If she has that determination and you keep open that door of open communication she do the same as my daughter. Abd lots of other girls too.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Right now my 13 year old is saying the same thing as your daughter and I hope it lasts. 

Quoting kirbymom:Okay. Gothchya now. That is where my hubby's and I's thought are too. We'd rather there be abstinence but realize kids will make those "decisions" in the spur of the moment. So, we choose to tell our kids about what we'd like and then teach them about the human body inside and out along with the reprocussions of the decisions made. Both positive and negative. I am so grateful that we did too. My almost 18 year old made the decision to abstain until she was ready to fully commit to a relationship 100% and because she didn't want to have to saddle us with the reprocussions of having made that choice. She decided that she wanted to be the one fully and completely 100% responsible if she happened to have gotten into trouble if she decided to have a full relationship. Such a mature and wise decision for one so young. We are so proud. I am so proud. Now if I can get all my other children to make such decisions! *fingers crossed*

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, we did. The reason it wasn't such a big deal for her at a later point is because we left the majority of the emtional drama out of the equation. We did discuss the sperm and the egg and how that happens. Then we talked about the female organs, where they were and what each was for. After that we talked about the different types of diseases and the effect that each disease has and why. We also talked about relationships and how she might feel. Now mind you, we didn't over linger on any of the information that we were presenting to her. She would ask a few questions along the way. We told her the readon we had decided to have this kind of discussion with her was because there was all kinds of information out there and the majority of the information out there wasn't right and would only confuse her, so we wanted to make sure she had as much correct information so that she could make as good a decision as she could when the time would come for her to make these types of decisions. We also gave her a few examples of people who made what they had considered to be good/right decision and what the consequences of those decisions looked like. Again, we make sure that we kept our tones of our voices down and even with as little emotion as possible. She later came to us and told us that she had already asked some questions and had gotten different answers and that when she had gotten access to the intetnet snd looked up this stuff from a technical viewpoint, she found that what we had told her was right and that the information she got from outside skurces were based on emotional decisions and the end results were not positive more than not the opposite. After that, she came to us a few more times with a few questions but had already determined how she was going to be and that she wanted to not get all tangled up while she was young and probably not able to think clearly enough as it stood from an emotionally and hormonally driven
young teenager. There were a few times when it looked like she would decide otherwise but she kept yo her guns. Not an easy feet in this day and age. The trick is to tslk to your kids like you would another individual. We've all seen our patents tslk to our friends in a different type of mental understanding than they did with us snd that us what we patents of today must do with our kids. Thats not to say that that should guide all conversations in this way. The higher the stakes, the more we need to be on our toes observing and guiding accordingly.

I apologize for my many mis-spelled words.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting kirbymom:Thank you! This started when she was 10! She came and asked about periods and we told her what it was, how it affects the body and the mind and then the fact that having a period makes you a woman physically but not emtionally yet. We talked about her being abke to have sex and the types of diseases caused from sex. It ended up being about a 4 or 5 hour conversation.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

MATH...it's evil, pure evil I tell you.

Okay, no, it's only slightly evil...guess I'll teach it.  Other than that, nope :-D 

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

To add, a bit opposite of what the post is, I'll be teaching my kids my Buddhist beliefs as well as our Christian ones.  I've a bit of a blended faith.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN