Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (71-80):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I would like ODS to return to physics or English. He is leaning towards IT and gaming now and I just KNOW he would be miserable in the long run. My sister is in the teaching program at FSU and she's had miserable intern experiences. I would like her to stay in school and get her doctorate. She has enough in scholarships that she won't have to touch her college money or get a job, and there is enough saved and in trust for her to go to college for many years. I have always known she would make a fantastic administrator, and her real love for education could make a world of difference for many children. I'm afraid the frustrations of being a "lowly" teacher in the modern education system would shatter her. As positive and intelligent as she is, she doesn't aim high enough, and that is my stepmother's fault, and a whole other thread topic about parents using the PS system to kneecap their kids LOL.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes, we are having the conversations very early and I really think it's becaue they get to see the matings!  My in-laws are appalled that we are discussing these things.  They were actually there for one of the convo beginnings; they were very uncomfortable about how open and honest our talks are; and they left early because they "couldn't handle" the topic. 

What career path are you aiming for?

Quoting tuffymama:The farm kids I knew in school, even the BOYS, were the ones who handled sex ed more maturely and seemed more open to the instruction in those classes. I must say that the exposure to breeding meat and show animals really helped my little sister and ODS (they are two weeks apart in age). They are the most sensible kids I've known, when it comes to sex and human relationships. Now, if I could just get them to adjust their career paths to suit me... Hehehe!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here was our basic first discussion after Xavier saw the goats copulating.

X: Hmmm....well it looks like they are having fun.Me: Yeah, well sex is fun.  If it weren't fun there would be no next generation.X: But Pearl (our male goat is Pearl Jam, no we did not name him.) has sex with all of the girls.  But people only have sex with their wife right?Me: Well....No.  Some people have sex with lots of people.  X: You mean like Penny? (Big Bang)Me: Yeah, like Penny.  BUT the more connected people are, the better the sex can be.X: Huh?Me: Well, like conversations.  I have conversations with absolute strangers, but they just scratch the surface, ya know?  But I have conversations with Daddy, and you, and the other boys, and grandma and Pappy.  Those conversations are much deeper.  But the deepest most significant conversations I have are...... when?X: Ummmm......Oh coffeee time with Daddy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Cause we aren't allowed to interupt you.  You guys get our breakfast ready and let us watch cartoons while you guys talk.Me: Yep.  That's when we connect.  Our conversations are the deepest because we are close and we are closer because our conversations are deeper.X: Are we still talking about sex?Me:  Yes.  See sex is deeper and really better when you have a great connection.X: So does Pearl have a good connection with all the girls?Me:  Watch them carefully and you tell me.Much later X realized that the herd doe (Roxie Heart) is his favorite, he gives her the last of his hay.

Quoting JKronrod:

Are you all going to also teach about relationships?  One thing that drives me crazy is that the emphasis -- in schools certainly -- is that sex education is mostly about mechanics.  That's necessary, but what I think isn't really taught, or at least not taught well, is how one goes about choosing the right person for a lifetime relationship.  Thus, that aspect of it is left to "chemistry" -- or "I know him when I see him."  Clearly, that's not the best way of going about it, and since we clearly don't want to go back to arranged marriages (at least most of us don't), I think it makes a lot of sense to talk to our kids about the WHY of marriage or long term relationships and how sex fits into that, and from there what qualities make a good partner. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I would not teach abstinence only either.  I want my kids to know all of the ramification if they choose a sexual lifestyle and how to protect themselves from some of those ramifications.  My hubby has encouraged me to even teach them about my own rape when the time comes around to talk about those kinds of things.  His reasoning is that his own parents mainly taught him "keep it in your pants" and he did not feel as though he was fully informed.  He had a lot of questions that did not jive with their abstinence only stance and they would just repeat..."keep it in your pants."  He knew almost nothing of STDs, female anatomy, birth control, family planning.  He felt unequipped to plan our family when we were married and there was a whole lot I needed to teach him.  If my own parents had prepared me the way he had been prepared, we would have been in real trouble!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I wouldn't teach abstinence only.

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.Why woldn't you teach abstinence?
Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope, we cover everything..

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I'm afraid there's not much even an admin can do, but maybe she could set up a charter shool or a private school.  We've foolishly allowed too muchv't intererence in the school system and mad it almost impossible to help many kids at all.  But that is also a topic for a whole thread!  LOL

What would ds want to do wih physics?  I finished my BS with a major of English and  minor in physics (and a minor in math and concentrations in other stuff too).  Loved my physics, but other than teaching there are few career opportunities anymore.  Most places we used to be in demand, the companies are now under the stupid school of thought that "it's not rocket science."  Sorry...bitter diatribe! LOL

Quoting tuffymama:

I would like ODS to return to physics or English. He is leaning towards IT and gaming now and I just KNOW he would be miserable in the long run. My sister is in the teaching program at FSU and she's had miserable intern experiences. I would like her to stay in school and get her doctorate. She has enough in scholarships that she won't have to touch her college money or get a job, and there is enough saved and in trust for her to go to college for many years. I have always known she would make a fantastic administrator, and her real love for education could make a world of difference for many children. I'm afraid the frustrations of being a "lowly" teacher in the modern education system would shatter her. As positive and intelligent as she is, she doesn't aim high enough, and that is my stepmother's fault, and a whole other thread topic about parents using the PS system to kneecap their kids LOL.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes, we are having the conversations very early and I really think it's becaue they get to see the matings!  My in-laws are appalled that we are discussing these things.  They were actually there for one of the convo beginnings; they were very uncomfortable about how open and honest our talks are; and they left early because they "couldn't handle" the topic. 

Quoting tuffymama:The farm kids I knew in school, even the BOYS, were the ones who handled sex ed more maturely and seemed more open to the instruction in those classes. I must say that the exposure to breeding meat and show animals really helped my little sister and ODS (they are two weeks apart in age). They are the most sensible kids I've known, when it comes to sex and human relationships. Now, if I could just get them to adjust their career paths to suit me... Hehehe!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

X: Hmmm....well it looks like they are having fun.Me: Yeah, well sex is fun.  If it weren't fun there would be no next generation.X: But Pearl (our male goat is Pearl Jam, no we did not name him.) has sex with all of the girls.  But people only have sex with their wife right?Me: Well....No.  Some people have sex with lots of people.  X: You mean like Penny? (Big Bang)Me: Yeah, like Penny.  BUT the more connected people are, the better the sex can be.X: Huh?Me: Well, like conversations.  I have conversations with absolute strangers, but they just scratch the surface, ya know?  But I have conversations with Daddy, and you, and the other boys, and grandma and Pappy.  Those conversations are much deeper.  But the deepest most significant conversations I have are...... when?X: Ummmm......Oh coffeee time with Daddy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Cause we aren't allowed to interupt you.  You guys get our breakfast ready and let us watch cartoons while you guys talk.Me: Yep.  That's when we connect.  Our conversations are the deepest because we are close and we are closer because our conversations are deeper.X: Are we still talking about sex?Me:  Yes.  See sex is deeper and really better when you have a great connection.X: So does Pearl have a good connection with all the girls?Me:  Watch them carefully and you tell me.Much later X realized that the herd doe (Roxie Heart) is his favorite, he gives her the last of his hay.

Quoting JKronrod:

Are you all going to also teach about relationships?  One thing that drives me crazy is that the emphasis -- in schools certainly -- is that sex education is mostly about mechanics.  That's necessary, but what I think isn't really taught, or at least not taught well, is how one goes about choosing the right person for a lifetime relationship.  Thus, that aspect of it is left to "chemistry" -- or "I know him when I see him."  Clearly, that's not the best way of going about it, and since we clearly don't want to go back to arranged marriages (at least most of us don't), I think it makes a lot of sense to talk to our kids about the WHY of marriage or long term relationships and how sex fits into that, and from there what qualities make a good partner. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I would not teach abstinence only either.  I want my kids to know all of the ramification if they choose a sexual lifestyle and how to protect themselves from some of those ramifications.  My hubby has encouraged me to even teach them about my own rape when the time comes around to talk about those kinds of things.  His reasoning is that his own parents mainly taught him "keep it in your pants" and he did not feel as though he was fully informed.  He had a lot of questions that did not jive with their abstinence only stance and they would just repeat..."keep it in your pants."  He knew almost nothing of STDs, female anatomy, birth control, family planning.  He felt unequipped to plan our family when we were married and there was a whole lot I needed to teach him.  If my own parents had prepared me the way he had been prepared, we would have been in real trouble!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I would teach abstinence along side birth control, safe sex practices, disease and pregnancy prevention in addition to what sex is, and freely answer questions such as "when it's the right time". And a thorough explanation of the human body and reproductive processes. 

Around here a lot of parents only want to teach abstinence...and nothing else. No facts or info. 

I feel doing so is dangerous. I would love to live in a fairy tale land where my daughter doesn't want to gave sex until she is 30 and married. But, the reality (in this current world) is that is unlikely to happen. 

I want my daughter to know everything just in case she is going to make that choice/mistake too early. At least she will be less likely to get AIDS or get pregnant. 

But...as of yet she us not allowed to date...and I don't plan on letting her date for a long time. And if she does date...it will not be alone. And she is not going to go spend the night with a boyfriend. 

In essence, teenagers make some really stupid decisions sometimes. I just want to reduce the chance of a stupid choice becoming a serious, life changing, huge, huge mistake. 

Quoting kirbymom:I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.Why woldn't you teach abstinence?
Quoting PurpleCupcake:

tonyanamelia
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Not going to go into too much detail since I don't want to fight about it...but we will not be teaching evolution as a valid theory, but as a thing we do not believe is true. Just like many other subjects that we will teach them about but not agree with. There are many valid ideas in the world, that we just do not agree with. It's just one of the many pros to homeschooling. Getting to teach our views of the world instead of the main-stream or individual teacher's ideas on how the world works. 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Yep.  Farm (even suburban farm) living has major advantages, but we didn't have goats when I was growing up.  I did learn quite a bit about what is now called "bullying" by watching our chickens and their pecking order.  They weren't so good for sex and marital relationship education, though, LOL. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

X: Hmmm....well it looks like they are having fun.
Me: Yeah, well sex is fun.  If it weren't fun there would be no next generation.
X: But Pearl (our male goat is Pearl Jam, no we did not name him.) has sex with all of the girls.  But people only have sex with their wife right?
Me: Well....No.  Some people have sex with lots of people. 
X: You mean like Penny? (Big Bang)
Me: Yeah, like Penny.  BUT the more connected people are, the better the sex can be.
X: Huh?
Me: Well, like conversations.  I have conversations with absolute strangers, but they just scratch the surface, ya know?  But I have conversations with Daddy, and you, and the other boys, and grandma and Pappy.  Those conversations are much deeper.  But the deepest most significant conversations I have are...... when?
X: Ummmm......Oh coffeee time with Daddy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Cause we aren't allowed to interupt you.  You guys get our breakfast ready and let us watch cartoons while you guys talk.
Me: Yep.  That's when we connect.  Our conversations are the deepest because we are close and we are closer because our conversations are deeper.
X: Are we still talking about sex?
Me:  Yes.  See sex is deeper and really better when you have a great connection.
X: So does Pearl have a good connection with all the girls?
Me:  Watch them carefully and you tell me.

Much later X realized that the herd doe (Roxie Heart) is his favorite, he gives her the last of his hay.

Quoting JKronrod:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting kirbymom:

I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.
Why woldn't you teach abstinence?

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Our chickens are wonderful little bullies!  LOL.  But our old rooster taught our boys about treating women well.  He used to hand out extra food rations very equally.  He had 6 hens and if you wanted to send him into a fretful tizzy all you had to do was throw 8 wilty beans into their coop.  He would give each hen one bean, eat one himself and then fret....who could he possibly give that extra one to?  Oh no!!  It was sooooo funny and we used to do it just to drive him nuts.  I guess we were being bullies too. :-/

Quoting JKronrod:

Yep.  Farm (even suburban farm) living has major advantages, but we didn't have goats when I was growing up.  I did learn quite a bit about what is now called "bullying" by watching our chickens and their pecking order.  They weren't so good for sex and marital relationship education, though, LOL. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

X: Hmmm....well it looks like they are having fun.
Me: Yeah, well sex is fun.  If it weren't fun there would be no next generation.
X: But Pearl (our male goat is Pearl Jam, no we did not name him.) has sex with all of the girls.  But people only have sex with their wife right?
Me: Well....No.  Some people have sex with lots of people. 
X: You mean like Penny? (Big Bang)
Me: Yeah, like Penny.  BUT the more connected people are, the better the sex can be.
X: Huh?
Me: Well, like conversations.  I have conversations with absolute strangers, but they just scratch the surface, ya know?  But I have conversations with Daddy, and you, and the other boys, and grandma and Pappy.  Those conversations are much deeper.  But the deepest most significant conversations I have are...... when?
X: Ummmm......Oh coffeee time with Daddy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Cause we aren't allowed to interupt you.  You guys get our breakfast ready and let us watch cartoons while you guys talk.
Me: Yep.  That's when we connect.  Our conversations are the deepest because we are close and we are closer because our conversations are deeper.
X: Are we still talking about sex?
Me:  Yes.  See sex is deeper and really better when you have a great connection.
X: So does Pearl have a good connection with all the girls?
Me:  Watch them carefully and you tell me.

Much later X realized that the herd doe (Roxie Heart) is his favorite, he gives her the last of his hay.

Quoting JKronrod:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting kirbymom:

I know curiosity killed the cat and all that stuff, but I am curious anyways.
Why woldn't you teach abstinence?

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM
There is nothing wrong with that. We are not believers of evolution but we teach it as a theory then have the kids do their own research then write pspers proving it and disproving it then the get to write a paper in their own personal belief on evolution.

Quoting tonyanamelia:

Not going to go into too much detail since I don't want to fight about it...but we will not be teaching evolution as a valid theory, but as a thing we do not believe is true. Just like many other subjects that we will teach them about but not agree with. There are many valid ideas in the world, that we just do not agree with. It's just one of the many pros to homeschooling. Getting to teach our views of the world instead of the main-stream or individual teacher's ideas on how the world works. 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Teaching! ODS would make an awesome professor. He's had a crisis of confidence since the breakup with his lovely girlfriend, though. I'm trying to work on him without him sensing the pressure, and he's wise to all my tricks ;0) but I'm pretty crafty, too. XH and DH want me to just apply ODS to schools of my choice...
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm afraid there's not much even an admin can do, but maybe she could set up a charter shool or a private school.  We've foolishly allowed too muchv't intererence in the school system and mad it almost impossible to help many kids at all.  But that is also a topic for a whole thread!  LOL

What would ds want to do wih physics?  I finished my BS with a major of English and  minor in physics (and a minor in math and concentrations in other stuff too).  Loved my physics, but other than teaching there are few career opportunities anymore.  Most places we used to be in demand, the companies are now under the stupid school of thought that "it's not rocket science."  Sorry...bitter diatribe! LOL

Quoting tuffymama:I would like ODS to return to physics or English. He is leaning towards IT and gaming now and I just KNOW he would be miserable in the long run. My sister is in the teaching program at FSU and she's had miserable intern experiences. I would like her to stay in school and get her doctorate. She has enough in scholarships that she won't have to touch her college money or get a job, and there is enough saved and in trust for her to go to college for many years. I have always known she would make a fantastic administrator, and her real love for education could make a world of difference for many children. I'm afraid the frustrations of being a "lowly" teacher in the modern education system would shatter her. As positive and intelligent as she is, she doesn't aim high enough, and that is my stepmother's fault, and a whole other thread topic about parents using the PS system to kneecap their kids LOL.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JKronrod:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

katyq
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Hallelujah! I would love to know what fans of abstinence only ed. are hoping to accomplish because they are producing a whole lot more pregnant teens than their counterparts.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Only because our society is totally fixated on youth and "love" and thus only on the teenage idiots.  Get old enough and you realize it's really about the old fogies who lose their kids and future as a result of a stupid feud. 

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Twilight or Romeo and Juliet? aka, the Two Stupidest Love Stories Ever Told? Or, as I once saw:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/10/87/38/108738ee96f9dee283b2d6688e60a93b.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN