Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are there any subjects that you find unacceptable and will never teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Replies (91-100):
katyq
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. You can easily look up statistics on the matter. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're hoping to prevent sex before marriage, largely; we're hoping to reduce the number of children born into broken homes or homes that are unable to provide for them.

FWIW, myself along with half a dozen other girls in my high school class ended up pregnant by 16 - even with sex ed in school (that was NOT abstinence only).

Quoting katyq:

I only hVe the one question

Quoting AutymsMommy: Feel free to ask away then.

Quoting katyq:

Hallelujah! I would love to know what fans of abstinence only ed. are hoping to accomplish because they are producing a whole lot more pregnant teens than their counterparts.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh. I wouldn't teach abstinence only sex ed. 

-Kit-
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Creationism or any religiously-based thought, especially in regards to science.

I also will not teach US history as separate from general world history, nor will I allow the kind of jingoistic, historic negationism present not only in public school teachings but that also dominates homeschooling materials, possibly to an even more absurd degree than those made for public.

Suffice to say I screen any material even vaguely history related very carefully. It's a huge pet peeve (or possibly a major psychotic berserk button) of mine that the line between fact and fantasy has been and continues to be not just blurred, but purposefully obfuscated, in regards to history, the rest of the world, and how Americans are to see it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I never claimed it was evidence, did I? I added a "for what it's worth" (generally denoting an opinion, not fact). Did you skip over where I answered your question? We (those of us teaching abstinence until marriage) have the same goals as those who do not teach abstinence - just a different approach.

Quoting katyq:

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. You can easily look up statistics on the matter. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're hoping to prevent sex before marriage, largely; we're hoping to reduce the number of children born into broken homes or homes that are unable to provide for them.

FWIW, myself along with half a dozen other girls in my high school class ended up pregnant by 16 - even with sex ed in school (that was NOT abstinence only).

Quoting katyq:

Quoting katyq:

Hallelujah! I would love to know what fans of abstinence only ed. are hoping to accomplish because they are producing a whole lot more pregnant teens than their counterparts.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

katyq
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

No need to get hostile just because statistics don't support your approach. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I never claimed it was evidence, did I? I added a "for what it's worth" (generally denoting an opinion, not fact). Did you skip over where I answered your question? We (those of us teaching abstinence until marriage) have the same goals as those who do not teach abstinence - just a different approach.

Quoting katyq:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting katyq:

Quoting katyq:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM
I can understand your views on history, but I would like to better understand your views on Creationism and anything religious in regards to science.

Quoting -Kit-:

I also will not teach US history as separate from general world history, nor will I allow the kind of jingoistic, historic negationism present not only in public school teachings but that also dominates homeschooling materials, possibly to an even more absurd degree than those made for public.

Suffice to say I screen any material even vaguely history related very carefully. It's a huge pet peeve (or possibly a major psychotic berserk button) of mine that the line between fact and fantasy has been and continues to be not just blurred, but purposefully obfuscated, in regards to history, the rest of the world, and how Americans are to see it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Where did you read hostility?

Quoting katyq:

No need to get hostile just because statistics don't support your approach. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting katyq:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting katyq:

Quoting katyq:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

giving heart

Quoting jen2150: Besides how to think I teach them very little. I present the info and they do the rest. I consider myself their facilitator. I give them the evidence for creation and evolution and let them decide. I tell them I will not always be right and to question everything. Never take something they read as fact. Even when they tell me I taught them to read I usually correct them. I merely presented the tools they did all the hard work. Teachers teach and homeschoolers guide. I don't teach what I know. I instruct them how to become self educated.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Have you read Lies My Teacher Told Me? It covers all the BS taught in schools, especially the BS taught in history classes.

Quoting -Kit-:

-Kit-
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM

It's as ludicrous an idea to me as teaching my child why some people believed the earth was flat, or that the world was going to end on December 21st, 2012.

Do you teach your child about the Moonies? The pricinples of $cientology? Flat-earth? Alien-abduction believing cults? Indigeonous beliefs of Papua New Guinea?

Creationism and religion is equally as irrelevant to us as those things likely are to you.

Quoting kirbymom: I can understand your views on history, but I would like to better understand your views on Creationism and anything religious in regards to science.

Quoting -Kit-:

-Kit-
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Oh yeah. I wouldn't say it covers even half the BS pushed into the head of the average student over a K-12 career, but it's a decent start for sure.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Have you read Lies My Teacher Told Me? It covers all the BS taught in schools, especially the BS taught in history classes.

Quoting -Kit-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN