Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another reason to homeschool

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:34 AM
  • 6 Replies

So I haven't started homeschooling yet... waiting until next year so  won't have to pull them out mid year... this year I am trying to help them out at home as much as possible. We just had a "partnership in learning" night at the school where they give you tips to help them which I thought was helpful but.........on a day to day basis we are getting very little info. we don't get any social studies or science homework, we get a paper at the beginning of the week that tells us what they are learning and under science it says "weather".  Well I want to know what about the weather they are learning so I can reinforce that at home.  I asked one of the teachers that night.  She just shrugged her shoulders and said the district just isn't as focused on that.  It seems like kindergarten was great with the communication, but in 1st and 2nd we get nothing... I can't wait until next year.  I will have another kindergartner which I might put in kinder there since we were fine with the first 2 but my 2 dd's will be homeschooled.  And my kinder will be homeschooled starting 1st grade.....

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this

That is common nowadays. My kids never got any homework related to anything besides math and reading. 

And science wasn't even taught daily...they had science on Friday. And the science half the time revolved around weather.

And the history was taught in combo with the reading. 

They are teaching to the test...that's it. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

SMH

I don't know the answer to the public school crisis, but something has to change!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I pulled mine out the last six weeks of 4th and 6th grades. If I could go back I would never have put them in K-5, they both had bad experiences there. Homeschooling has been great for our kids and family.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

When my oldest was in first grade they learned "weather" the whole way through the year.  Their "learning weather" was simply reading a thermometer and putting a sticker on their cahrt telling whether it was sunny/ rainy/ snowy/ windy that day.  It was during "calendar time" at the beginning of each day.  They had done the exact same chart in Kindergarten as well.

Science was only taught one day a week and History was only taught on holidays (Columbus on Columbus Day, etc).  I was told that they don't start to focus on science or history until third grade.  SMH.  Then I started homeschooling and in the requirements for homeschoolers it said that each year I needed to teach either world or US history, Geography, and Science!  Oh Boy was I angry!  Why can the public schools get away without teaching it, but the homeschoolers have to prove they are teaching it!  Grrr!

jurbi
by New Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

When my oldest was in first grade they learned "weather" the whole way through the year.  Their "learning weather" was simply reading a thermometer and putting a sticker on their cahrt telling whether it was sunny/ rainy/ snowy/ windy that day.  It was during "calendar time" at the beginning of each day.  They had done the exact same chart in Kindergarten as well.

Science was only taught one day a week and History was only taught on holidays (Columbus on Columbus Day, etc).  I was told that they don't start to focus on science or history until third grade.  SMH.  Then I started homeschooling and in the requirements for homeschoolers it said that each year I needed to teach either world or US history, Geography, and Science!  Oh Boy was I angry!  Why can the public schools get away without teaching it, but the homeschoolers have to prove they are teaching it!  Grrr!

Right!!!! Anyways I have had doubts about homeschool..BUT... Everyday some new reason for me to homeschool and NOT public school cones up.. It just makes so much more sense that they would get a more thorough education with homeschool!!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jurbi:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Right!!!! Anyways I have had doubts about homeschool..BUT... Everyday some new reason for me to homeschool and NOT public school cones up.. It just makes so much more sense that they would get a more thorough education with homeschool!!
I know my boys have gotten more out of instruction here at home than they did in PS. I think we all doubt ourselves, doubt is good, it means you are really thinking about what you are doing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)