Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Four years strong, and I STILL doubt myself...

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

OK, my kids are 11, 9, 5, and 1.

This is my day....

Wake, breakfast, chores, quiet time...

Then school...

Our schooling is more activity, reading, watching videos, doing hands on stuff, reading together, exploring online... etc...   They do VERY little actual paper work.   Am I short changing them?   

They do some work on a dry erase board to warm-up math.   We do several workbooks spanning 4th-8th grade levels and just pick out some fun challenge stuff.  They really like this..  

Then they do Math U See...  usually take a test and do 2-4 worksheets and watch a short video.

For L/A right now, we are doing a writing workshop workbook and a brief review/lesson and then they do a few example sentences and such... 

They are keeping a small journal in science (Apologia, notebooking journal)...

They are keeping a notebook in S/S (3-5 glossary terms and 3-7 questions at the end of each section along with some illustrations... maybe 2-4 sections per week)...

They will do SOME other stuff... maybe write a story, make a short book report, do some spelling activities, some handwriting stuff... etc...  but this stuff is so few and far between, I say they do maybe two extra pages a week.

So..

My question is... am I not expecting enough actual work?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

oh, and they are learning ASL, but no writing involved in this class.. it's all just using signing.

and they are on and off learning to type....

and they participate in several classes/activites outside that require practices, memorization, etc...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

It doesn't sound like you do very little written work at all :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds like plenty of written work to me.  I think we might actually do less written work than you do.  I say you are doing fine.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Sweety, the only way for you to 'really' know the answer to that question is to actually do more psperwork schooling and see how your kids react. My kids hate to write by hand but they must until they reach about 12/13 and then they get to type out their school work and their reports with a handwriting assignment or two just to keep up with their handwriting skills. They prefer the typing to the handwriting though. :)
Thing is though, they have to earn their typing their schoolwork out on the computer.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I guess I just remember all the work and practice we had in school.    My kids do about at tenth of the work we did in school... maybe a tad more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN