Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have learned a lesson.

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this
I will never again allow MIL to do my job.

My in laws took my Kindergartener on a train ride to Seattle for 2 days. I sent some stories (please read 30 mins each day) an 2 handwriting pages. 2 sentences on each (have him copy, heck trace, these please.

My instructions...I know he's still learning letters, please just help him focus on three things as we are focusing on it this week.

1.start the sentence with the capital form of the letter.
2. End in a period.
3. Please make him put a space between words.

That's it, simple...

She did not follow my directions. Instructed him different ways of forming letters. Then came home and proceeded to TELL me how I was soon it wrong. She was a teacher (an aid like 39 yrs ago) and she knew what she was doing and I should do it differently.

She then proceeded to call SIL to ask if she was instructing him right (SIL teaches kinder) rather than asking ME!!!!

Sorry, I'm venting. But my MIL just last week said "I think we are going to pay for T to go to private school next year"

Insert deer in headlights look by me.

Uh...no. Homeschooling is our choice, you have now put yourself in the position to not be involved in ANY schooling. I will no longer talk to her about it. And she will not take him during the week anymore. Sorry ladies, I don't want to get in a fight with her at church this am :/
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Its ok. I would be livid. Good luck luck keeping your calm. If you start loosing it sing Jesus Loves Me under your breathe. It distracts you.
TroyboysMom
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be incensed. I would also tell her so, especially after that comment about private school. None of those were her decisions to make! The next time she asked about anything, I would tell her directly that you don't appreciate her questioning/undermining, as she is not a part of the process, and you will not be discussing it with her in the future. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Dude, I would have flipped.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I do feel like flipping! I'm so angry! This woman would not change even if I yell at her. I just have to bite my tongue and involve her in nothing. Very passive aggressive I know :/

I'm glad I can fume in here.
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be livid!  That is NOT her decision to make and she needs to butt out!  I am glad you are no longer going to involve her at all or even engage her in discussions about it.  That is just crazy!

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Oh my. I think my Irish temper may have boiled out of me. She needs to keep her mouth zipped. Youvarevthe parent.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Oh wow!  I would have been livid!  And to go to the SIL like she's "telling the teacher on you"  Oh my gosh!!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sounds like DH @@ He wanted to take the kids to visit his family for two weeks in the middle of our school year (we use a charter school and I have just minimal reporting) so I sent about 1 hours work per day. They were driving 11 hours each way so I suggested doing school work for a few hours in the car and only in evenings, when hanging at the in-laws house, etc. REALLY simple stuff and they did NOTHING.

I agree with ya - just let MIL be around for fun and keep her out of the school stuff.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

When people are that way, it's really easy to jump up and defend our decisions.   

Example:   

MIL:   You aren't teaching him well enough, he's going to fall behind so we are going to pay for private school for him next year.

The GUT response is to defend yourself.   Explain how you ARE teaching him correctly and that you are the parent and will make the decisions, right?

Well, I've found for people that have this form of diarrea of the mouth, the best defense is a CALM offense.   I'm not talking about stoning them, kicking them out of your life, etc...

However, I'm suggesting that you address the real problem.   Their rudeness.

"MIL, that comment was not appreciated at all!  We are very satisfied with the direction of his education and did not ask for your opinion."

If she continues, just repeat, "MIL, we did not ask for your advice.  Thank you."

or..... (if you feel it needs it.)

"MIL, we did not ask for your advice, and we would appreciate it if you kept negative comments to yourself."

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Oh, how did church go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)