Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I will never again allow MIL to do my job.

My in laws took my Kindergartener on a train ride to Seattle for 2 days. I sent some stories (please read 30 mins each day) an 2 handwriting pages. 2 sentences on each (have him copy, heck trace, these please.

My instructions...I know he's still learning letters, please just help him focus on three things as we are focusing on it this week.

1.start the sentence with the capital form of the letter.
2. End in a period.
3. Please make him put a space between words.

That's it, simple...

She did not follow my directions. Instructed him different ways of forming letters. Then came home and proceeded to TELL me how I was soon it wrong. She was a teacher (an aid like 39 yrs ago) and she knew what she was doing and I should do it differently.

She then proceeded to call SIL to ask if she was instructing him right (SIL teaches kinder) rather than asking ME!!!!

Sorry, I'm venting. But my MIL just last week said "I think we are going to pay for T to go to private school next year"

Insert deer in headlights look by me.

Uh...no. Homeschooling is our choice, you have now put yourself in the position to not be involved in ANY schooling. I will no longer talk to her about it. And she will not take him during the week anymore. Sorry ladies, I don't want to get in a fight with her at church this am :/
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Oh my! Well, I would probably react the dame as you did and make the same decisions too.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I bit my tongue the whole time. And prayed for peace in my heart.

I will not speak to her about school and will take the above advice to kindly say I did not ask for her advice.

Ugh. I'm still fuming :/

Quoting KrissyKC:

Oh, how did church go?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Dude, I would have flipped.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Yep. She likes to hold my 12 weeker during service. I flat out said no. I'm still mad.

My son told me tonight in our attempt at make up work from missed days "mommy I think Nama teaches better"

My heart is crushed

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

*Hugs* Mama. You know how kids are. She's not better, just different. 

(Don't let her near him academically again till college though, K? lol)

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Yep. She likes to hold my 12 weeker during service. I flat out said no. I'm still mad.

My son told me tonight in our attempt at make up work from missed days "mommy I think Nama teaches better"

My heart is crushed

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Done! Lesson learned ;)

Quoting paganbaby:

*Hugs* Mama. You know how kids are. She's not better, just different. 

(Don't let her near him academically again till college though, K? lol)

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

My heart is crushed

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Great advice regarding your MIL. I'm sure she'll try to feed her ego by instructing you or your son in the future, but a cold shoulder often works wonders.

Did you happen to ask your son why he said that? He's young, and it could easily be the fact they were on a train (who wouldn't love school on a train?). :) That's my first guess. Else, I wouldn't doubt she threw in cookies, a snuggle, or anything else just to show how wonderful her version was. I wouldn't even remotely feel that it was for her actual 'teaching' style.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Because she told him she does. When he's older and she undermines you (and she will continue doing this for as long as she lives), you can explain to him that even old people forget their manners and behave rudely, so he must always obey his parents first. For now, the praying for peace sounds like a good idea. I'm not one to be railroaded and undercut in my own family so I don't hold my tongue when many would, but I make sure to lay on the sugar before I let loose. A few well aimed return shots in the past have let my biggest detractors know to leave me alone and to mind their own business. I suffered a lot in my first marriage but now I'm much older and wiser, and I prefer to ask someone straight out, with a smile on my face, what about me makes them think it is acceptable to gossip about, condescend to, or undermine me. It nixes a lot of BS and my own hurt feelings. It is tough enough answering to God and caring for these people I put on this earth; there is no room in my agenda or nerves for answering to busybody biddies or allowing them to hurt me. Good luck!
Quoting SMTCMMoore:

My heart is crushed

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't ask, I was not sure what to say so I replied with a weak "maybe not better, bit different." I'll for sure ask why if it comes up again.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Great advice regarding your MIL. I'm sure she'll try to feed her ego by instructing you or your son in the future, but a cold shoulder often works wonders.

Did you happen to ask your son why he said that? He's young, and it could easily be the fact they were on a train (who wouldn't love school on a train?). :) That's my first guess. Else, I wouldn't doubt she threw in cookies, a snuggle, or anything else just to show how wonderful her version was. I wouldn't even remotely feel that it was for her actual 'teaching' style.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you. This is the only person I cannot talk fully with. She is easily offended and it doesn't go well. Perhaps I'll get stronger too.

Quoting tuffymama:

Because she told him she does. When he's older and she undermines you (and she will continue doing this for as long as she lives), you can explain to him that even old people forget their manners and behave rudely, so he must always obey his parents first. For now, the praying for peace sounds like a good idea. I'm not one to be railroaded and undercut in my own family so I don't hold my tongue when many would, but I make sure to lay on the sugar before I let loose. A few well aimed return shots in the past have let my biggest detractors know to leave me alone and to mind their own business. I suffered a lot in my first marriage but now I'm much older and wiser, and I prefer to ask someone straight out, with a smile on my face, what about me makes them think it is acceptable to gossip about, condescend to, or undermine me. It nixes a lot of BS and my own hurt feelings. It is tough enough answering to God and caring for these people I put on this earth; there is no room in my agenda or nerves for answering to busybody biddies or allowing them to hurt me. Good luck!

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

My heart is crushed

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN