Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I will never again allow MIL to do my job.

My in laws took my Kindergartener on a train ride to Seattle for 2 days. I sent some stories (please read 30 mins each day) an 2 handwriting pages. 2 sentences on each (have him copy, heck trace, these please.

My instructions...I know he's still learning letters, please just help him focus on three things as we are focusing on it this week.

1.start the sentence with the capital form of the letter.
2. End in a period.
3. Please make him put a space between words.

That's it, simple...

She did not follow my directions. Instructed him different ways of forming letters. Then came home and proceeded to TELL me how I was soon it wrong. She was a teacher (an aid like 39 yrs ago) and she knew what she was doing and I should do it differently.

She then proceeded to call SIL to ask if she was instructing him right (SIL teaches kinder) rather than asking ME!!!!

Sorry, I'm venting. But my MIL just last week said "I think we are going to pay for T to go to private school next year"

Insert deer in headlights look by me.

Uh...no. Homeschooling is our choice, you have now put yourself in the position to not be involved in ANY schooling. I will no longer talk to her about it. And she will not take him during the week anymore. Sorry ladies, I don't want to get in a fight with her at church this am :/
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (21-25):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I think Tuffy is completely right, but I don't doubt the train helped!  Good luck with this woman and feel free to vent all you need to!

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I didn't ask, I was not sure what to say so I replied with a weak "maybe not better, bit different." I'll for sure ask why if it comes up again.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Great advice regarding your MIL. I'm sure she'll try to feed her ego by instructing you or your son in the future, but a cold shoulder often works wonders.

Did you happen to ask your son why he said that? He's young, and it could easily be the fact they were on a train (who wouldn't love school on a train?). :) That's my first guess. Else, I wouldn't doubt she threw in cookies, a snuggle, or anything else just to show how wonderful her version was. I wouldn't even remotely feel that it was for her actual 'teaching' style.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, the 'joys' of  'helpful' relatives

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Oh yes.

I'm sure her intentions are good. She loves my son. She just doesn't think I can parent as good as she did/can.

Please tell me not all MILs are like this? Am I going to be like this to my DIL some day?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ugh, the 'joys' of  'helpful' relatives

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

THis doesn't sound like its about homeschooling. This is her attacking your entire parenting. She has some issues letting go, it sounds like. Like she doesn't believe her son is grown up enough to handle marriage and parenthood. So really, this is HIS problem. HE needs ot be the one to step up and put her in her place. If he isn't willing to do this, you two need to work on his backbone. There is no way my dh would allow his mother to attack me like that.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM
DH is very passive. Very little gets him upset enough to speak up. I imagine it will be up to me unfortunately.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

THis doesn't sound like its about homeschooling. This is her attacking your entire parenting. She has some issues letting go, it sounds like. Like she doesn't believe her son is grown up enough to handle marriage and parenthood. So really, this is HIS problem. HE needs ot be the one to step up and put her in her place. If he isn't willing to do this, you two need to work on his backbone. There is no way my dh would allow his mother to attack me like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)