Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would you define successful homeschooling?

Obviously we all believe in home education however we all have different styles goals and beliefs. I'm curious how you will know if you were a sucessful homeschooler?

Will you judge yourself on your children's sat scores, college or career choices?

Will you judge your family on its bonds and relationships?

How will you know you were successful?
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Replies (11-17):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I think I will be successfull if my son loves life, loves learning and goes on to do what he wants to do.  I want him to be happy and hardworking. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

If my kids are at least as educated as the masses, if they can think and act for themselves, if they are happy, healthy, and not hate me, I think we'll be good. lol

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

All of the above. I shoot high, lol.

Family bonds, relationships, college readiness and success, and general ability to learn.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

If my children have the skills that they need to lead happy and successful (doing what they want) lives...then I did my job as their parent/educator.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I will not judge whether I have been successful by judging my kids by testing scores or by college choices. Or even by their job choices. To me, those are all secondary to How my kids act, How Well they cope and How Well they handle themselves as individuals and around others.
I will train our children in the way they should go and whether or not they implement that training will be an indicator of how successful I was in my training. I am not just educating my children with facts but educating them to be loving, caring, kind, compassionate and understanding as human beings.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
This and the ability to find what they want to know. I think I am already successful because we have not had time to study much history and science due to my husband being in a motorcycle accident, he is ok, but I am driving him everywhere which cuts into school time. The kids are quizing each other about the bones in their body reading and talking about ancient Egypt. They have learned so much all on their own. If they can keep up that thirst then I am doing some thing right and I am successful. Now I am hoping by next week we will be good and back on schedule.

Quoting jen2150:

I have two goals while homeschooling.

1. Love of reading and books.

2. Love of learning. Life long learner.

If you can accomplish these goals then you are a sucess. If my kids ever walk away hating learning and reading then I failed them.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Destinay is in the fifth grade, so I'm not really looking at scores, colleges or career choices. What I would consider successful homeschooling is a well rounded child who has a love of reading, and learning in general. When she can apply what she learned to real life examples. Her weak subject is Math, but when we go to stores and she can add or subtract with ease, or help me with the budget without pulling teeth, then I feel like it is successful. Or when she is reading just because she  is enjoying the book, that makes me feel good. I don't give her obvious tests, I see the way she works, and we move on when she is ready. When it is obvious we are ready to move on, then I feel like I am doing my job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)