Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hope it isn't just me....do you

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: do you let elementary kids play outside after lunch on school days?

Options:

yes

no

only for "recess: (short time)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

do you let elementary aged kids play outside after lunch (when regular schools are still in session?)  My kids are pre K, Kinder, and 1st, and we are always done in the mornings. I let them play outside after lunch..(we live rural but a schoolboard member lives nextdoor).  I am not worried about what people/neighbors think...I am just wondering if you ladies also let your kids play outside after lunch during the schoolday?

Energygirl :)
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-19):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We're not fugitives, LOL. Of course they go out.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Somedays we are outside all day, other days not so much.  If he wants to go outside to play or even to do schoolwork we will.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I didn't answer because the answer is sometimes. lol

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Depends on the day.  When the weather is hot we get some play time in early in the day...as it cools off then we do it after lunch.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM

No but our situation is VERY different. We have a heroin addict across the street :-<.  My kids get outside when daddy is home and on the weekends, they're also very young (4 and 20 mo).

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I give my kids 10-15 min breaks between subjects and they are free to do what they want (within reason) during those times.  Often they choose to go outside.  When they are finished with their work, they have that same choice, and again they usually choose to go outside.  We live in a nice neighborhood and I dont worry about them being out there.  I have never had to explain to any of my neighbors.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I said no, but not as in, I don't let them outdoors. :) I just mean, it's not part of our usual routine. We got rid of our swingset so our yard is waaaay boring. Sometimes I make them help me in the garden for a little while but that's pretty much done now, so there's not much to do out there. 

DH takes them out for a jog or to walk the dog in the morning before breakfast, whenever the weather is cooperating. I take them to a park/playground in afternoons when we have free time & the weather is good. We try to make sure they get plenty of exercise, but just 'playing in the yard' rarely happens here. I'm also a bit psycho about leaving my kids unattended too long so if they are outside playing, it means I have to be outside all or almost all of that time too. I do wish we had a more fun yard.

When it's really cold winter, we will have 10 minutes of outside time in the afternoons just to make sure we get fresh air and sunshine (even if it's cloudy) but for now, we get outside enough without making it a scheduled daily thing.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM

We are usually done after lunch.  But if we are not, I still let them go out because I usually leave for work around 2:30 and DH sleeps until like 4, so they don't get to go outside during that time, and now it's dark at 4 basically so if they don't go out after lunch, they don't usually go out.  And it's too cold to go out before we start.

Oh my kids are a little older, technically middle school here- 5th and 6th grades.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I let my middle school age kid do that sometimes.   We aren't going to have this good weather much longer.   There are already days when playing outside is too wet and cold.   So, the other day when I opened the door to temps in the upper 70's and a beautiful sun shining, yeah... we pretty much just stopped school and went to play.  

After they had their fill and were coming back for something to do, we grabbed a few "extras" that we keep when mom is sick or rainy days or just "need a break" days...   we also dragged out our bean bags on the back porch and a couple fluffy blankets and sat out there devouring the sun, family time, some snacks, and some fun activities together.

We did whiteboard math together with challenge algebra questions and logic problems.   We worked on roman numerals off the top of our heads... we challenged one another with fun analogies....   We worked on our writing workbook a bit... and shared some stories.

It was probably the best day we've had in a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)