Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay moms with unmedicated ADHD kids....

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 82 Replies

What curricula have you found that work well with your little wigglers?  And What curricula would you avoid like the plague?

I will not get my youngest diagnosed because I do not want to hear about medications.  He is who he is and we will take it as it comes.  That said, I know he'll always need to move more, use his whole body in his learning, and move from activity to activity a bit more often.  I still plan on slowly increasing his attention span (for some reason my hubby was concerned that not getting a diagnoses and not getting medication meant that I wasn't going to address his issues at all.)

We treat with: proper sleep schedules, proper nutrition, and exercise. 

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM

My oldest boy, 8, would have probably be RX'd as ADHD or ADD but I know he isn't. He has finally settled down this past year, a bit. We don't follow a curriculum, but we do spend a lot of time moving. He usually does work standing up or standing at our white board. You can get things for his hands that he can wiggle and mess with quietly.

snowangel1979
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM
You just have to keep it within reason. He's not going to sit for 4 hours but I still made my son sit and get the things done. We worked doing meditation.

A great book which I've been recommending to everyone is The Edison Gene, ADHD and the gift of the hunter child by Thom Hartmann. That book changed my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clh1989
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM

following!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

my ds would probably get an inattentive diagnosis if I asked for it. But I also think essentially if anyone takes their child for an adhd eval, they are going to get positively diagnosed thanks to the lobbying of the drug companies to doctors on the "efficacy and safety" of their drugs.

None of my kids show hyperactivity at all, in fact, they are really low-tone and sort of sedate! I guess we are inheriently lazy!

We work in small chunks at a time, and I have him do some exerises every day we work - like pull ups, push ups, mountain climbers, sit ups, we have a few weights to do some basic stuff, jumping jacks, etc. All stuff that can be done indoors since I don't have a large area to work with. I find the attentiveness to a task greatly improves after physical activity.

We always get enough sleep and try to eat the best choices. Sugar is a bit of a downfall in our house, but fruits and veggie intake is good.

Good luck! I think you are taking the right approach. Also, attention is developmental too. I really don't think you can drug a kid in order to make him perform on tasks that he's not developmentally ready for yet.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting mem82:

My oldest boy, 8, would have probably be RX'd as ADHD or ADD but I know he isn't. He has finally settled down this past year, a bit. We don't follow a curriculum, but we do spend a lot of time moving. He usually does work standing up or standing at our white board. You can get things for his hands that he can wiggle and mess with quietly.

We got our boy one of those gel filled thing-a-ma-bobs that try to squirt out of your hands and that has increased his focus a bit.  Now he can sit and listen to an entire story.  We use many manipulatives.  We are using Math USee with him this year and it is going pretty well with some modifications.  So I'm really starting to think about next year because he'll "really" be in kindergarten.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quoting snowangel1979:

You just have to keep it within reason. He's not going to sit for 4 hours but I still made my son sit and get the things done. We worked doing meditation.

A great book which I've been recommending to everyone is The Edison Gene, ADHD and the gift of the hunter child by Thom Hartmann. That book changed my life.

Thank you!  I'll look for it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quoting Chasing3:

my ds would probably get an inattentive diagnosis if I asked for it. But I also think essentially if anyone takes their child for an adhd eval, they are going to get positively diagnosed thanks to the lobbying of the drug companies to doctors on the "efficacy and safety" of their drugs.

None of my kids show hyperactivity at all, in fact, they are really low-tone and sort of sedate! I guess we are inheriently lazy!

We work in small chunks at a time, and I have him do some exerises every day we work - like pull ups, push ups, mountain climbers, sit ups, we have a few weights to do some basic stuff, jumping jacks, etc. All stuff that can be done indoors since I don't have a large area to work with. I find the attentiveness to a task greatly improves after physical activity.

We always get enough sleep and try to eat the best choices. Sugar is a bit of a downfall in our house, but fruits and veggie intake is good.

Good luck! I think you are taking the right approach. Also, attention is developmental too. I really don't think you can drug a kid in order to make him perform on tasks that he's not developmentally ready for yet.

My older 2 are nothing like my youngest.  They can sit for lessons, they can listen to and respond to instructions.  But my youngest is a wiggler, he is nearly defiant in his inability to follow instructions.  But then I noticed that he really didn't hear me, he's in his own little world.  He is 4 and he wants to learn.  He wants to "do school" with his big brothers, but he cannot focus.  But if we get it in quick bursts or he sits on my exercise ball while doing his lessons; he can count to 100, name all the letters and give their sounds, read a few sight words and sound out some easy words, spell his name, and other things my middle boy could not do at his age.  So he's ready but he's not, kwim?

Focus is better after exercise.  We have no HFCS, transfats, processed foods in the house and they love fruits and veggies.  And we have just recently learned how to get him to sleep!  Praise the Lord about that one!  LOL

I'm hoping to never drug him.  I would much rather he find a place where he can thrive than to drug him into being in a place where he wouldn't thrive without the drugs.  That said, it has caused an unbelievable upheaval in our house!  :-)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Get a mini- trampoline if you don't have one. My sons learned to count using one. They also used them they needed to burn energy. I liked using hands on materials. Legos for Math, puzzles for geography, play doh worked well as well. Start with 5 minutes at a time and move up from there if he is young.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting jen2150:

Get a mini- trampoline if you don't have one. My sons learned to count using one. They also used them they needed to burn energy. I liked using hands on materials. Legos for Math, puzzles for geography, play doh worked well as well. Start with 5 minutes at a time and move up from there if he is young.

He has learned to count by bouncing on my exercise ball, I would guess that is similar, but I'll look into a trampoline.  I'm not sure where we have the space for it (small house). 

Thanks for the suggestions!  Very helpful!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Does he sit still while you are reading? My sons does best reading then doing something hands on. His favorite is building materials type projects. K'nex has math set which is awesome.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150:

He has learned to count by bouncing on my exercise ball, I would guess that is similar, but I'll look into a trampoline.  I'm not sure where we have the space for it (small house). 

Thanks for the suggestions!  Very helpful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)