Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay moms with unmedicated ADHD kids....

Posted by   + Show Post

What curricula have you found that work well with your little wigglers?  And What curricula would you avoid like the plague?

I will not get my youngest diagnosed because I do not want to hear about medications.  He is who he is and we will take it as it comes.  That said, I know he'll always need to move more, use his whole body in his learning, and move from activity to activity a bit more often.  I still plan on slowly increasing his attention span (for some reason my hubby was concerned that not getting a diagnoses and not getting medication meant that I wasn't going to address his issues at all.)

We treat with: proper sleep schedules, proper nutrition, and exercise. 

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (81-82):
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We went with more active or interactive learning programs.. Math-U-See, which someone already mentioned, Lexia Reading at Home as an online reading program, Institute for Excellence in Writing with the teaching DVDs, etc.

I would avoid anything that is nit-picky detailed, fact-based learning out of books like A Beka.  Their books (which we tried for Geography and Physical Science) focus on the minutae and drove all of us NUTS with the nit-picky details to be memorized.  Having "big picture" thinkers, it was much more important to my boys and me for them to focus on the hows, whys, consequences, and lessons of understanding.  The nit picky facts they can look up at any time in their adult life, should they ever need to know, and otherwise are forgettable by most of us anyway.  After all, what dates, names, etc. did you have to memorize in school that you actually USE and/or remember in your daily life as an adult? 

~ That's just my thinking based upon our experiences.  We much preferred experiential learning, audio-visual learning, and learning based upon concepts more than facts.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Thanks!  These are very helpful!

We've been using Math-U-See with all 3 of my boys and they love it.  Our neighbor is using A Beka with her son and my boys often tell me they are glad we don't use it when we do a "homework" night at the Church.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

We went with more active or interactive learning programs.. Math-U-See, which someone already mentioned, Lexia Reading at Home as an online reading program, Institute for Excellence in Writing with the teaching DVDs, etc.

I would avoid anything that is nit-picky detailed, fact-based learning out of books like A Beka.  Their books (which we tried for Geography and Physical Science) focus on the minutae and drove all of us NUTS with the nit-picky details to be memorized.  Having "big picture" thinkers, it was much more important to my boys and me for them to focus on the hows, whys, consequences, and lessons of understanding.  The nit picky facts they can look up at any time in their adult life, should they ever need to know, and otherwise are forgettable by most of us anyway.  After all, what dates, names, etc. did you have to memorize in school that you actually USE and/or remember in your daily life as an adult? 

~ That's just my thinking based upon our experiences.  We much preferred experiential learning, audio-visual learning, and learning based upon concepts more than facts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)