Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When is the last time you visited the library?

Posted by   + Show Post

Get any good books?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
A Whole Nother Story is a silly adventure story about Mr. Cheeseman and his "three relatively odor free children." There are three books in the series. We're on Another Whole Nother Story. The best way to describe it is the inside jacket cover: "The plan was simple. Ethan Cheeseman, along with his three smart, polite, and relatively odor-free children, would travel back in time to end a family curse and save their mother. Nowt hat the LVR (a super-secret time machien) is working, it's easy peasy. Except they didn't account for on basic rule of science: Murphy's Law - if something can go wrong it will. The LVR crashes, with a meteor-sized hole in its roof. They've made it to 1668, but they're stuck in the middle of nowhere, without a way back home, and someone thinks they're weetches-er, witches. Could it get any worse? How about when they encounter a pirate ship, a haunted castle, and two mysterious visitors - one there to rescue the family, the ohter, mm...not so much. Our trusty narrator, Dr. Soup, has a ton of unsolicited advice for readers but not a lot to say to help the Cheesemans. Just this one thing: Good Luck." The uncolicited advice is usually a hoot. We've had a blast reading it as a family together. The first book really explains the characters and the start of the whole adventure, even though that is an adventure in itself.
Quoting mem82:

I have to renew mine a lot. What is the Whole Nother Story about?
Quoting No_Difference:

We need to go soon!! These books are getting close to their due dates. We got Another Whole Nother Story and a few more books the kids picked out (I have no clue what they are). We need to renew the book we're reading together. We're only half way through it. Once we finish it we'll have to re-check out No Other Story because just have not gotten to that one.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Just yesterday.  Picked up every "Froggy" read-along book they had!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

A couple years ago?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Today.  We had 9 books on hold, lol.  Mostly history books, the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Hittite Warrior were a couple.  I can't remember them all!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Last Friday.  We have co-op at the Library on Fridays, which works out well.  We have a blast at co-op and then check out books for the next week.  We got a ton of Halloween books for this week. 

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Monday.  We go at least once a week.  My library is part of a huge system of libraries in our county, and it allows you to request books online and have them delivered to your home library.  The librarian usually reserves a whole shelf for us, because we have so many!  Then my son loves to pick more books off the shelves too.  Right now we have almost 300 books checked out!  I was thinking the other day, I must be a Charlotte Mason type of educator, because reading is our favorite part of homeschooling!

How about you, Mem, been to the library lately?  And did you get any good books?  Thanks for the post!

Tal0n
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Yesterday.  Nope.  I returned some good books.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

today. and yesterday. Yesterday we got a bunch of books on snakes. Today we got 6 videos - but they are all short on grammar.

I borrowed a book by Diane Ravitch: Reign of Error -- not sure why I read these books sometimes, as they get me all riled up.

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM

About a week ago. Picked up a YA called Ice, based on my favorite fairytale. Haven't read it yet.

I also renewed the 2 Nora Roberts books I was reading to finish a trilogy. They were okay. I remembered why I like Nora, as well as why I don't read her as much anymore.

Nerdgirl is reading some uber-geeky physics book by Neil Tyson DeGrasse. Dude is re-reading Stormfront by Anthony Horowitz. I'm a little shocked that we only have 5 books checked out right now, and only 4 on request. And only an 80c fine. *gg*

I'll be at the library at least weekly through November because I'm hosting weekly daytime write-ins for NaNo there. Starts tonight at midnight!

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE the Epic of Gilgamesh! It's one of my favorite stories ever.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Today.  We had 9 books on hold, lol.  Mostly history books, the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Hittite Warrior were a couple.  I can't remember them all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN