Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When is the last time you visited the library?

Posted by   + Show Post

Get any good books?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (31-33):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

it costs money???

I thought the whole point of a library was to be free? We only get charged for late returns on dvds. They never even charge a late fee on books.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ummm... about 2 years ago!  LOL

Our library is horrible and costs too much money.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Often, if you live outside the city limits, you can be charged to use the city/town library, especially if it's not a "county" library. My mom didn't use the library for over 20 yrs because she lived a mile outside the town limits and she didn't want to pay the yearly fee.

Quoting Chasing3:

it costs money???

I thought the whole point of a library was to be free? We only get charged for late returns on dvds. They never even charge a late fee on books.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yep, it costs $36 per year per card.  Since they have a limit of 4 books per card, we would need more cards than just mine.  I did it one year, but my oldest 2 were little (maybe 4 and 2).  So only taking out 4 books meant nearly daily trips.  So the librarian suggested we get cards for the boys.  That's when I decided I would rather spend the money we would use to get yearly cards to buy books instead.  Going to the used book store and the Good will ended up getting us lots of books for the same amount of money since many of them have deals like kids' books 4 or 5 for a dollar.

Plus The year we had the cards, we left for camp one morning and put the books in the drop-off box.  They did not collect the books out of the box because when we got back (2 weeks later!!) they said we still had 10 books out and couldn't check out.  When I told them we had put the books in the drop off box, they checked the box but still charged us a late fee for them.  The late fee was $14!!  It was ridiculous since it wasn't our fault!  That was it.  I've gone back once or twice to see if the policies are the same and let the boys do the story time.  But a couple years ago they changed the policy and you have to have a library card to go to story time.  So that's the last time we went.

Quoting Chasing3:

it costs money???

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)