Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

retaining info

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is in 1st grade. She is just starting to read fairly well. The problem is during writing she sometimes forgets how to write a letter. I have noticed the more frustrated she gets the more forgetful she gets. Anyone have any experience with this. She does the same with writing her numbers. It's a little frustrating because I think she should be beyond this by now.

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

My 8yo does that to sometimes. Don't really have advice but here's a bump!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes. My son was like that. Didn't have him evaluated until he got an athletic scholarship to college, then found out he had dysgraphia and dyscalculia. It got a little bit better as he matured but I had NO idea.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you have a poster or number/alphabet line up on the wall for her to look at?  When my daughter was in 1st (in public school) the teacher still had a small version of the ABCs on each desk just so they could reference it.  I think it's pretty normal, but the more options you give her to view, the better she may feel about it.

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, thank you. She may not have the same issue but definitely good to know. I will look into it for sure.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. My son was like that. Didn't have him evaluated until he got an athletic scholarship to college, then found out he had dysgraphia and dyscalculia. It got a little bit better as he matured but I had NO idea.

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't but I think that's a great idea. Thanks!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Do you have a poster or number/alphabet line up on the wall for her to look at?  When my daughter was in 1st (in public school) the teacher still had a small version of the ABCs on each desk just so they could reference it.  I think it's pretty normal, but the more options you give her to view, the better she may feel about it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I was told just the other day that we should have a number and a letter line up in the room until kids are at least 8.  That's when the schools expect them to be able to write the letters without any cues at all.  I usually try not to compare myself to the PS, but in this case it makes me feel better that this is normal.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I still get b & d mixed up if I am over thinking how to write something! I know that sounds odd but if I just do it there is no problem, if I am thinking about how to do it I begin to question if I am doing it right & so then I have to check!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Its just her age. It will get better with time. Mine did that till about 9.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This is normal. If you have a memory game, try playing that with her on a daily basis. This should help her to build her recognition skills. This kind of game is like excersizing the brain in the same way we excersize our bodies. You might also try those activities were you color by code. Aslo, try having a snack a few times during school. This will give her an added energetic boost to her focusing skills. You cold also periodically ask her throughout the day what a certain letter looks like. She can air draw it for you. Then let her go right back to what she was engaged in. Do the same with numbers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)