Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Questions

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
So, I'm fairly new to the thought of homeschooling. I guess you can say we are fairly mainstream and enjoy things along those lines. Homeschooling isn't really heard of around here.
I have a son who is doing fine in third grade and will have a son who will do fine in Kindergarten next year. While we are fortunate enough for me to stay home, enjoy extras and such, I don't like the idea of paying for an expensive private school. Will I burn out on homeschooling? Is it selfish of me to want to homeschool because I love my kids? They aren't bullied, they have no special needs, their academics are on par, and our school district is fine. I just don't like the large class sizes, the fear of safety these days, and the need to keep up. Thank you in advance to those who respond. My main concern is burning OUT, and I do not want them to become behind academically if homeschooled. I guess I also fear that our friends would think I'm weird, and in return, they would lose their friends. I'm not strict as it is. I'm not organized for that matter either. Yikes. >.
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
3 moms liked this
First things first. Breathe. Take a deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds. Now let it out slowly. Repeat as many times as felt is necessary. Now, there is nothing wrong with wanting to help facilitate our children as they grow into adults. Homeschooling is a great way to accomplish this. It gives us the freedom and flexability to be able to do what we want, when we want and how we want. And as we go about doing this, we want to remember that we can change anything that is getting in the way or is not the right curriculum or the right pace.
As long as our children are continuously progressing, learning bits and pieces throughout the day/week/month/year, then they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Try not making comparisons to other schools or other kids. No two kids learn the same way or at the same pace. We are not training our kids to be like every other kid but to be the best They can be. We don't know all the answers at the beginning. We learn them along the way.
Have fun and explore life with each other.

I apologize for any mis spelled words. yikes. lol
Precious333
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this
You may burn out, you may not either, i do at times, but then just slow down and regroup :)

Your friends may think.you are weird. I have people think I am, i embrace the weirdness. I also have a lot of friends who do homeschool.

I think your reasons are great :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
This is so true! :)

Quoting Precious333:

You may burn out, you may not either, i do at times, but then just slow down and regroup :)

Your friends may think.you are weird. I have people think I am, i embrace the weirdness. I also have a lot of friends who do homeschool.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I agree...and when you do burn out you can always just Take a week off. 

Quoting Precious333:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

*I* needed to hear this. thank you

Quoting kirbymom:

First things first. Breathe. Take a deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds. Now let it out slowly. Repeat as many times as felt is necessary. Now, there is nothing wrong with wanting to help facilitate our children as they grow into adults. Homeschooling is a great way to accomplish this. It gives us the freedom and flexability to be able to do what we want, when we want and how we want. And as we go about doing this, we want to remember that we can change anything that is getting in the way or is not the right curriculum or the right pace.
As long as our children are continuously progressing, learning bits and pieces throughout the day/week/month/year, then they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Try not making comparisons to other schools or other kids. No two kids learn the same way or at the same pace. We are not training our kids to be like every other kid but to be the best They can be. We don't know all the answers at the beginning. We learn them along the way.
Have fun and explore life with each other.

I apologize for any mis spelled words. yikes. lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

This.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I agree...and when you do burn out you can always just Take a week off. 

Quoting Precious333:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)