Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

wth were they thinking? UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 33 Replies
I went to drop my boys at their school this morning. And apparently that's when stupid ideas come to mind!

My aunt brought over my little cousin (who I homeschool with my daughter, dd is 9yo and cousin is 11yo). Well I was gone doing my morning thing and my aunt had to leave before I got back to do her food handlers class so the girls were alone for maybe 5 to 7 min. I never thought anything of it even tho I have my 1 and 2 yo dds sleeping in my bed. It's just a few min and my gma lives next door.

Well I walk inside and I'm like crap! Wtf is that burning smell? So I'm running around, I go to the kitchen and I don't smell it. I'm frantic asking the girls when the smell start? They say "I don't smell anything"(first red flag) so I'm like ok its over here towards the kids rooms. I go to the laundry room cuz we've been having issues with a old leak somewhere in there and thought maybe it was electrical even though it didn't smell like that. But I go in there and the smell disappears. I go into the bathroom cuz the smell is getting stronger and it disappears again. I'm running into all 3 kids rooms. Nothing in my oldest sons room and I cam smell it in my youngest sons room but I can tell its not coming from his room either. Finally, my daughter's room is last and the smell is so strong I said oh, sh*t its in here! I tell dd to unplug everything. And I'm looking at all the plugs-nothing. I finally open the closet door just to be sure and the smell is coming from there!

I look down and what do I see a box of matches and burned sheet of paper. I was automatically pissed! I asked my daughter what was going on (btw my dd is following me around helping out and oh so sweet cousin is just sitting her a$$ on my couch not concerned) my daughter looked sooo guilty and just tells me that they were burning paper cuz cousin said so. I asked cousin and she's like Idk, it wasn't me.

I know for a fact that cousin is lying cuz my kids all know where the matches are joy (we only have then cuz we have a gas stove) and we have never had this problem. I told both the girls I was very upset and irritated that lied to me and just straight up livid cuz my babies are in the house!

Even now cousin is lying. These matches are joy out of reach of the smaller kids and my dd isnt tall enough to reach them with using a stool or chair. And guess who is tall enough.....cousin!

When my aunt gets back from class I'm going to talk to her and let both of them know (cousin and aunt) that fires IN MY HOUSE are unacceptable and I don't appreciate lying!

I will never again underestimate these girls and will never allow them to be alone...for as far as I can help it.

Update:
We talked to the girls later that day. While my daughter was upset and crying and listened to what we had to say cousin was staring off into space and had this look of "why do I care what you have to say". She apologized because my aunt made her but she didn't mean it. And even tho my daughter is being punished for going along with the idea cousin is going on WITHOUT punishment. Ir-i-tating.

Since this has happened I have done nothing but think about this and talked with my 3 older childeren. They say she bullies them and scares them and I'm afraid of what other plans she has cooking that my kids may feel like they have to participate in so I have decided to talk to my aunt this afternoon (I'm unwillingly at work) and tell her I can no longer homeschool cousin. (On top of this incident cousin shows no interest in learning and waits for my daughter to answer questions before answering herself or just says Idk without trying).
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
3 moms liked this

Let aunt know that she can no longer leave the girls unsupervised.   That is dangerous.     That being said, though, my 11 yr old (whom I have issues with too) played with matches, lighter, grill lighter a couple times this year.   She is the one that I'm having to crawl up her butt right now and supervise.

Look up my other two recent posts... one is addressed to Mem and Blue in the title.   This is what I'm going through right now.

abuckalew
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Love your post! I am on these girls like white on rice now! I am like you get a 5 minute break and we move on and we do. Usually we are relaxed. But I want them to see I mean business about this. Fire is serious business and they know this. I'm disappointed and pissed with them

Quoting KrissyKC:

Let aunt know that she can no longer leave the girls unsupervised.   That is dangerous.     That being said, though, my 11 yr old (whom I have issues with too) played with matches, lighter, grill lighter a couple times this year.   She is the one that I'm having to crawl up her butt right now and supervise.

Look up my other two recent posts... one is addressed to Mem and Blue in the title.   This is what I'm going through right now.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I can't get past that you left your 1 and 2 year old alone, for however short amount of time, while you were off the property. Sorry. If they had set the house on fire... yeah.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

abuckalew
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My gma lives right next door and my girls were asleep. That's why I just went and came back.

It wont be happening again

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I can't get past that you left your 1 and 2 year old alone, for however short amount of time, while you were off the property. Sorry. If they had set the house on fire... yeah.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Omg, I would have flipped!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank God everything is okay. I'll echo you here, what were they thinking?? 11 especially, and 9 years old is old enough to know not to light fires in the closet.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

But they weren't alone. The 9yo and 11yo were there. The OP would have no way of knowing the girls would lose their minds and set the house on fire.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

abuckalew
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM
The thought if them getting the matches for some "joy if burning" NEVER. Crossed my mind! I thought they were more responsible than that.

Quoting paganbaby:

But they weren't alone. The 9yo and 11yo were there. The OP would have no way of knowing the girls would lose their minds and set the house on fire.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I'm with you there. It sounds like 11yo got bored and decided to push some boundries and your 9yo got caught up with it. I don't think it will happen again though.

Quoting abuckalew:

The thought if them getting the matches for some "joy if burning" NEVER. Crossed my mind! I thought they were more responsible than that.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, I do not think a 9 year old is a capable baby sitter, and the 11 year old isn't, imo, capable of watching children who aren't directly her siblings. Yes, I consider them "alone" - that someone was home next door doesn't really matter.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)