Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting ready for the holidays! Yikes!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I just wanted to share this, someone might find it helpful.  We started it last year with our kids.  I admittedly have a problem buying everything for Christmas.  My kids have been SPOILED.  We have tried to cut back, but I always overspend and get them way more than they could ever need.  Last year I tried this and it worked for the most part, but Santa brought more and my parents and DH's mom get them more as well...that's why this list is PLENTY from mom and dad.  I type it up and print it in red and green and the kids fill it in, I wish I had started it much younger...

For Christmas

Something I want......................................................

Something I need.....................................................

Something I'll wear...................................................

Something I'll read....................................................

And I'd really like........................................................

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (11-19):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

DS has clothes with the tags still on them and toys he hasn't even opened yet.  Yeah, he gets way too much stuff!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I do the same thing!

DH has been telling me for years to reign it in bc our parents buy them lots of stuff. And they end up with sooo much junk that seems so wasteful!

Quoting kmath:

I tend to go overboard because I buy during the year and then forget what I bought already.  LOL, I am working on that.  DS is spoiled by his aunts/uncles and grandparents so at least one of us needs to reign it in.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That's a great idea!  We make most of our christmas gifts (besides the clothing) so we have never really gone over board although extended family does!  This year the boys have asked for materials to make bird feeders and bird houses with Daddy.  And the oldest asked for embroidery rings and beads.  As a family we will also be getting Plants vrs Zombies 2 and possibly a mini trampoline because I know they will both be cherished and used a lot.

They've even started asking the extended family for more appropriate gifts.  Legos (they build new things all.the.time!) and the magazines from Cricket.  They are collecting a bunch of things they want to give away because they "have too many toys." 

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM

We also do the "three gifts" each theory. 

One gift from Santa, one from mom and dad and one from siblings.  I also put together stockings but those usually have toothbrushes and small things like that (maybe a hot wheel car or something).  Those are also from Santa.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
*hangs head* We go wayyy overboard. Lol So far I got the three oldest Galaxy Tab 2s and I have bought a few toys. I am trying to go smaller but am failing.
mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We only have 1 daughter, but we celebrate 3  BIG things every year! We have Hanukkah, Christmas, and her birthday, all within about 3 or 4 weeks ( her birthday is December 31st) So, I  have to deal not only with gifts for all of those occasions, but reminding relatives that we'd MUCH  prefer she gets three tiny little gifts to celebrate each special occasion, than 1 large one, which kind of makes her birthday feel less special!!! 

We get her 1 small gift ( book, puzzle, new iPad app, or a small toy she wold like) for the first 7 nights of Hanukkah, than she gets 1 larger gift on the final night. 

For Christmas I try to get her 1 present each of music, a book, a movie, a toy, a new game or iPad app, and one bigger gift that is super special that she has really wanted, plus she gets a stocking from Santa and a Santa stuffed animal ( usually one she has really wanted from Build A. Bear)  under the tree ini the morning. We also put something school /learning related wrapped, outside her door from Santa with a note telling her it can only be opened and played with if she lets Mommy and Daddy sleep for an extra hour!!!! She LOVES that one!!

Her birthday I tend to go a little more extravagant, but given that it is so close to the other holidays, I. Try to limit the total number of gifts. We will splurge on something she has really wanted, or make a splurge of a group of smaller, related toys that go together  like a few dolls front he same collection, or their house or car, and  a similar assortment of other things like books, movies, etc. Since she was adopted, she also gets a gift from Korea, each year, as a super special gift. She gets a special family lunch out at her favorite restaurant and than I make her a cake from scratch, her choice, and Daddy cooks her favorite dinner, whatever she asks for.

Yup, November/December are INSANE for us!!! Plus we have mitzvah a we do for an angel family each year, so we are always busy...but happily busy!!!

tonyanamelia
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I always go overboard too. Mostly because around november I start remembering how many times I say "That sounds like a christmas gift" ALL YEAR LONG....so....I start trying to purchase those things that I never had money for during the year. Last few years, I've tried to go down to only a handful of gifts from us since they get tons from family. This year...we might be traveling cross-country to go to in-laws for Christmas. If we do, we won't have alot to spend on gifts. I think your idea is a good one! I will have to fill in the 3 year old and 1 year old's lists...but my 6 year old would love to fill hers out. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM
When my DS was little, like his first and second Christmases (First grandchild, first great grandchild, first great nephew...he got soooooo much those first years!!), I put stuff away and pulled it out months later or saved it for his birthday. Especially clothes that were too big or toys that were too old. I wish I could still get away with this, lol.

Quoting kmath:

DS has clothes with the tags still on them and toys he hasn't even opened yet.  Yeah, he gets way too much stuff!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I do the same thing!

DH has been telling me for years to reign it in bc our parents buy them lots of stuff. And they end up with sooo much junk that seems so wasteful!

Quoting kmath:

I tend to go overboard because I buy during the year and then forget what I bought already.  LOL, I am working on that.  DS is spoiled by his aunts/uncles and grandparents so at least one of us needs to reign it in.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
We do put up gifts, too. Lol
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM

LOL, DS is also first grand, great-grand and nephew, so we had that same problem.  Plus his birthday is in September so he gets stuff then and doesn't even get to all of it before Christmas is here.  Thankfully, my family has gotten better about buying him clothes and things that are a size or two up so it isn't all meant for NOW and he has some stuff for when he doesn't get presents!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

When my DS was little, like his first and second Christmases (First grandchild, first great grandchild, first great nephew...he got soooooo much those first years!!), I put stuff away and pulled it out months later or saved it for his birthday. Especially clothes that were too big or toys that were too old. I wish I could still get away with this, lol.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I do the same thing!

Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)