Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you prefer they read?

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you prefer your wee ones to read? Meaning, would you rather they concentrate on one book or story at a time or you don't mind if they are reading multiples?

I wonder because, we are just beginner readers but he wants to jump around from book to book and while I like his enthusiam, I would rather he concentrate on one story and comprehend it.

Maybe in this learning to read phase I shouldn't be so focused on comprehension as well. 

I know there is no 'right or wrong' way, and maybe I am just over thinking things. I find I question myself A LOT now that I have taken their education in hand.

Advice? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-16):
by Julia on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
We take turns reading. We do.a chaptet book, one chapter a day is a goal. They have times they pick their oen books, magazines etc.
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Right now I only have 9 yo daughter but I have her read one book at a time. I feel like more than that would be too much to focus on.

But every child is different, so take cues from your child
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
They can read how many books they want too.

I'm just happy my 11 yr old is reading
She is SN and only reads at a grade 1 level. So if she is reading I'm like this :)
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Let them be. Im a bookworm and since I was young I would have 3 or 4 books going at a time. I always tested 3-4 years ahead on reading comprehension, and was reading at a college senior level my freshman year of high school.
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
If he can comprehend everything and tell you about it I say jump all over. If he can't he needs to be able to comprehend what he reads first, so as not to confuse him.
These days I'm lucky if I am reading less than 3 books at a time, but when I was younger my mom had me read one at a time in the beginning.
by Group Admin on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I never thought of it. I have always hopped from book to book so once my kids started reading on their own and started it I did not think about it. My 7 year old and 6 year old are a grade or 3 above grade level in comprehension so I think it should be ok either way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN