Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you prefer they read?

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you prefer your wee ones to read? Meaning, would you rather they concentrate on one book or story at a time or you don't mind if they are reading multiples?

I wonder because, we are just beginner readers but he wants to jump around from book to book and while I like his enthusiam, I would rather he concentrate on one story and comprehend it.

Maybe in this learning to read phase I shouldn't be so focused on comprehension as well. 

I know there is no 'right or wrong' way, and maybe I am just over thinking things. I find I question myself A LOT now that I have taken their education in hand.

Advice? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-16):
Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM
We take turns reading. We do.a chaptet book, one chapter a day is a goal. They have times they pick their oen books, magazines etc.
abuckalew
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Right now I only have 9 yo daughter but I have her read one book at a time. I feel like more than that would be too much to focus on.

But every child is different, so take cues from your child
TatyBear
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
They can read how many books they want too.

I'm just happy my 11 yr old is reading
She is SN and only reads at a grade 1 level. So if she is reading I'm like this :)
mrs.hartman12
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Let them be. Im a bookworm and since I was young I would have 3 or 4 books going at a time. I always tested 3-4 years ahead on reading comprehension, and was reading at a college senior level my freshman year of high school.
Jenn8604
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
If he can comprehend everything and tell you about it I say jump all over. If he can't he needs to be able to comprehend what he reads first, so as not to confuse him.
These days I'm lucky if I am reading less than 3 books at a time, but when I was younger my mom had me read one at a time in the beginning.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I never thought of it. I have always hopped from book to book so once my kids started reading on their own and started it I did not think about it. My 7 year old and 6 year old are a grade or 3 above grade level in comprehension so I think it should be ok either way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN